Season 420 Soul Music Days

Just about 10am here in a very sunny UK, well in the part I live in anyway. We now have 46 songs on the playlist. A wonderful mix of originals and covers. As usual, Seasonistas have pulled out all the stops again. A few more days to go and I’m pretty confident we’ll make the mid 50s, and even if we don’t, you’ve all brought musical treasure for me to listen to. I will check in again tomorrow my friends.

I wasn’t intending to do another song, but I’ve felt compelled to do this one. Over the course of this week I’ve listened to many different versions of this, for a start by our very own Steve and Rob. There is also a beautiful guitar cover by Car Singer on her channel. I’ve revisited the episode of Soul Music too so I’ve got to hear Nina Simone’s gorgeous stripped back live version. Then of course there’s the likes of Richard Thompson, Eva Cassidy, Rufus Wainwright among many others. I found it particularly moving, in the episode, Simon Nicol (like Richard Thompson a former bandmate of Sandy when she was in Fairport) talking of how this song has more and more resonance for him as the years pass. So, I’ve done it as well.

Hello again, John ... and I have opted for the fourth option; this is one of my choices of "soul music"; it's a beautiful song with beautiful sentiments. The backdrop in the video is of the chain of extinct volcanoes in the Auvergne (part of the Massif Central) and quite close to where we live.

Tough to have so many Days without any sunsets.

I have played this one before, for season 328, but that seems forever ago and I played it on a different uke so I figured that’s enough. Thanks for hosting John. Hoping to get another one in if I can get over the yips.

not sure if this one is on the list John,
though given the heavy weight of gospel music there,
the three of us thought/hoped you might enjoy this

Good morning Seasonistas, I will be off shortly to do my weekly Parkrun at the beautiful Cliffe Castle in Keighley, but before I go.....

We now have 52 amazing covers on the playlist, each one testament to the talent and musical soul of the Seasonistas. Of course, thoughts now turn to Season 421, and, as is right and proper, you will soon discard me like a used sweet wrapper :(

But am I downhearted? Like hell!! It’s been a blast so far and I’m looking forward to what you bring in our time remaining :D

Thanks for hosting this week John. I've learned a lot researching the series and listening to some of the podcasts. SImon and Garfunkel have two songs on the series, which says a lot about how impactful there music was on people's lives. I'm was hanging out with some friends after one of our weekly ukulele meetups and had made this chart with the idea of learning it and hopefully getting a good take. This was our third take. Wish we would have had more time to work on nuance, but at least it's an energetic interpretation. Joined by my good friends Chuck - uke bass, Eric - baritone uke, Katrina soprano uke, and Marc on guitar.

I assure you all, any precision in this performance is completely random. But this is the cleanest take in 3 days of trying and my fingers hurt and my nerves are frayed.

This is the most difficult thing I have tried to play in a long time, maybe ever. These twiddly bits just killed me. I think I’ll just retire back to playing rhythm.

Sneaking in another collaboration for this wonderful theme. Really a brilliant theme John of the North! Honestly, I did the song as an exercise to test out my newly installed OS, and wasn't planning to do anything with the recording. But after Jon added his magic and made the wonderful movie, I was converted to a believer :)

Morning folks, am having a lazy morning in bed drinking coffee and eating American style pancakes. Life is good :D

Playlist is up to date with 55 songs, each one a gem. We’re pretty in the home straight now. Hosting has been such a pleasure again. Catch you all later.
John

Morning folks, am having a lazy morning in bed drinking coffee and eating American style pancakes. Life is good :D

Playlist is up to date with 55 songs, each one a gem. We’re pretty in the home straight now. Hosting has been such a pleasure again. Catch you all later.
John

What are "American style" pancakes???

What are "American style" pancakes???

They’re the thick ones Val. Made with self raising flour, a bit of sugar, pinch of salt and a spoonful of baking powder :drool:

It’s usually my job to make them for my daughter at the weekend, and we had a load of the batter left over this morning.

Last edited:
I got one for this week! I've been busy getting used to the size of the keys on my new-to-me chord organ, but I set aside some time to finally get this one done for this season.

John, I may have missed it, but i haven’t seen this yet. Again, I may have missed it! After several takes, I realized my voice has gone flat during the lay-off. Work to do! But I did pick up a late 1920s Gibson UKE1 Soprano for a ridiculously reasonable price on the intertubes and I love it! Featured here.

Excellent season!

Good morning all. Season 420 is now officially over. Thank you to everyone who took part. Wrap to follow within the week I reckon. :)

I really miss this wonderful season. As 'desert pavement' had his work on CrazyDiamond, I didn't finish TheFirstTimeEverISawYourFace. Chords and tune are not so difficult, but the week was too short to join rhythm and words. But all work was worth it... Once it will match another season :)

Top Bottom