Season 420 Soul Music Days

I know it is cheating, I have done this song twice before, but it is one of my favorites...

I saw this post by our friend Lesley Fowkes (barefootgypsy) on FaceBook. She shared a photo of a reminder sticker that her friend Caroline Stewart gave her. For those of you who do not know Lesley, she is battling Motor Neurone Disease and has been sharing her story on Facebook. Her post of the sticker on a jug of water moved me. So i made this litte impromptu video to share!
The words at the beginning of the song were the words from Lesley's post.

Last edited:
Wow Ryan! Bloody awesome mate ^^^

Right, we now have 30 songs on the playlist. I should be able to bring one myself at some point. I noticed as well that one or two of you have added in your descriptions of your songs, the personal connection you have to that song as well. I like that and I’d like to explore that as well, by opening up for a fourth category, so....

4) Your own personal piece of “Soul” music. Ie, it doesn’t need to be included in the Radio 4 series, it can just be a song that has a particular resonance for you. Explain it, and play it.

Thank you all for the amazing music you have already brought, it makes hosting a Season such a pleasure.

I don't know the full story of how the music came to be, but all started on page 2 of this thread where I used a random number generator to get number 15 - On th BBC's litst that corresponded to Joni Mitchell and her song River. A couple failed attempts on my part lead me to sending it off to Tasmania from where it traveled further to Singapore. Then onto Texas only to end back in Myanmar for this finishing touch. Not having any videos of the performers, not even my own, they all come from the 3rd of March (or close enough) from the years 2007 to 2014.

There was "Finlandia" by Jean Sibelius on the list. Ken Middleton has made a fine arrangement for ukulele. Here is my electric version with some photos from Finland.

Like Ryan I like this song a lot, here is another There is a light the never goes out.

Last edited:
Here's another category 4. This one's from Sam Fender, a Springsteen for the 21st century. I could have played any song from his debut album because its a stunner but this is the opening and really tells you everything you need to know about him. He tackles big issues on a really personal level.

Bit distracted by all the FA Cup footie on the telly this week, but I’ve also spent quite a bit of time practising the official Season 420 anthem. I don’t usually spend a great deal of time practising stuff, but I took a good while trying to find a strum that worked for me here. This song is quite deceptive - it doesn’t sound fast but feels it when playing and singing. Gave my newish Freshman 8-string another outing and added a bit of vocal harmony here and there. Cheers for hosting John - great theme mate!

I've covered this one before yonks ago but I will always unashamedly revisit past entries to try and step up my game and Improve on them whether on here or privately. Brothers In Arms Series 14...….

Last edited:
Val did a lovely version of this one earlier in the week, and I find myself in the same position as her on this one. That’s to say that I’m a nailed on atheist, but I have always loved this hymn and when I saw it on the list I couldn’t resist giving it a go. I’ve added a little bit of synth halfway through to give it a little more atmosphere, and I’ve only done the first three verses.

Last edited:
The Shaker Hymn, Simple Gifts is one of the tunes in the list. Sidney Carter set his song "Lord of the Dance" to this tune. I have prefaced the song with a Solo recorder rendering of the basic tune, added a harmony line with bass recorder and ended with solo recorder.

A ballet dancing ukulele player?
Quick! Call the Royal Opera House!
(apologies in advance to Tchaikovsky)

Top Bottom