Season 420 Soul Music Days

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
Soul Music Days

For Season 420, I would like you to do one or more of the following please.

1. Cover any song from the BBC Radio 4 series, Soul Music. There is a link below. Please note that we are not talking about Soul Music in the conventional sense, although the series does feature some songs by artists we would think of as Soul artists.

2. Cover the Kinks song Days. This wonderful song featured in Series 28 of Soul Music, and I would just love to hear your take on it. I know that some of you tend to do almost exclusively original songs, but if you can find time to do Days, that would be fantastic.

3. Write an original that says “Thank you”, in its title or lyrics. You can thank anyone, dead or alive, famous or not. You can thank a thing, eg your car, your socks and slippers, your uke! You can thank a place, or an animal etc. You can thank pretty much anything. So long as you are saying thanks/ expressing a debt of gratitude, even if you mean the opposite, it’s all good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p/episodes/player

No song limit.

Multi track, use other instruments and collaborate so long as the ukulele is at the heart of what you do. So if you have a Theremin laying dormant in the back of a cupboard somewhere, now’s the time to include it......possibly.

Season 420 begins at 00.00 Hawaiian time on Sunday 1st March and ends 23.59 on Sunday 8th March, which I dare say you all know, but for anyone who has just joined us....

I will comment on your songs on your YouTube channels as we go, a playlist will appear shortly.

I do not know at this stage if there will be a prize, but I would like to award a token prize or two if I can get organised for it.

Don’t forget that Val’s Season still has a while to go yet, so plenty of time to shed a tear or two on Season 419.

Above all, have fun and keep on uke-ing on

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNUmu6DfdZlyp-sQCKPLezgIrKiKavwG

Last edited:
Right, still got power outage here until at least 3am UK time. So I'll just post the bare bones and edit with more detail and a vid in the morning.

For Season 420 I'd like you to do one or more of the following.

1) Play me any song from the 28 series of Soul Music, which is a BBC Radio 4 programme. I'll post a link tomorrow.

2) Play me Days, by The Kinks,which featured in a recent episode of the above series.

3) Do an original that expresses thanks or gratitude to someone or something.

John just confirming..any of the series is in play..not just series No 28. ie series 1 through to 28.
Cheers..looks good!

Last edited:
Bahamas? I envy you since we just had a cold front come through.

I look forward to learning about this program and to hear what music was highlighted by it. I see the link above my post works for us in the states. Most stuff from the BBC is region limited.

Right, still got power outage here until at least 3am UK time. So I'll just post the bare bones and edit with more detail and a vid in the morning.

For Season 420 I'd like you to do one or more of the following.

1) Play me any song from the 28 series of Soul Music, which is a BBC Radio 4 programme. I'll post a link tomorrow.

2) Play me Days, by The Kinks,which featured in a recent episode of the above series.

3) Do an original that expresses thanks or gratitude to someone or something.

John just confirming..any of the series is in play..not just series No 28. ie series 1 through to 28.
Cheers..looks good!
Yes John, ANY of the series is in play :)

What a great idea for the week, John ... and how have I managed to miss this series? A great choice of songs here!

Great theme! Got a few ideas to stew over on my drive back from Nottingham today

I did this on guitar years ago on youtube. The only comment I got was "your guitar is out of tune".Well it was pre Snark days...so harsh but fair:). I didn't frame this very well so left hand is amputated.So if you like the arrangement the chords are basically from Dr Uke's. I just used his tenor chord shapes on baritone.So in Am instead of Dm. Contains some gratuitous harmonica. Summertime.
I really like the eclectic song selection in this series...no duds. Thank you J.I.T.N.

I've been listening a lot to Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby lately.I think I may have contracted a croonervirus;)

Cheers for hosting this one John. I've opted for Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colours' from series 26...………

When I saw this one on the list, I knew what I had to do.

Screenshot_2020-03-01 RANDOM ORG - True Random Number Service.pngThere's 152 songs on the series website... Lets see what fortune brings my way...

Last edited:
Hello, John! I have a feeling custom dictates that the host of the previous week shouldn't abandon his/her Season to take part in the next Season when the previous Season hasn't even finished. HOWEVER, apart from kind UkeNation, I have been abandoned today ... BOO HOO! So I decided to join in over here. Actually, I feel rather a fraud doing this, as I am not religious, but it has always been my favourite hymn and I saw it featured in the Series. I intend to have it played at my (very) Humanist funeral, after I have arrived in my willow coffin and before my ashes are shot skywards in a large firework! And my apologies ... I have a cold!

Last edited:
I intend to have it played at my (very) Humanist funeral, after I have arrived in my willow coffin and before my ashes are shot skywards in a large firework!

Beware of the ashes & firework thing. My brother went to a ceremony in Manchester where this was the intended finale. Unfortunately, the firework took off horizontally, and the ashes were deposited in the garden next door. To be honest, the person in question would have found this hilarious, so all was well.

Top Bottom