Season 420 Soul Music Days

I really miss this wonderful season. As 'desert pavement' had his work on CrazyDiamond, I didn't finish TheFirstTimeEverISawYourFace. Chords and tune are not so difficult, but the week was too short to join rhythm and words. But all work was worth it... Once it will match another season :)
Oh man that is a shame. Would have loved to hear your version on this Season. Strangely enough I was just listening to that very episode of Soul Music. Roberta Flack truly set the standard with her version.

Oh man that is a shame. Would have loved to hear your version on this Season. Strangely enough I was just listening to that very episode of Soul Music. Roberta Flack truly set the standard with her version.

Apparently, Ewan MacColl (The composer) hated Roberta Flack's version. He didn't seem to mind the royalties it brought him, though.

Apparently, Ewan MacColl (The composer) hated Roberta Flack's version. He didn't seem to mind the royalties it brought him, though.
That doesn’t surprise me Geoff. I would imagine the Peggy Seeger version, and he did write it for her after all, was much closer to how he envisaged it. For me personally it’s Roberta Flack’s version every time :D

Roberta Flack truly set the standard with her version.

There are still battles on yt, whose version is the 'best'. Flack's version is fantastic, but the older one from Peter, Paul and Mary also moves one's soul (have a look at the BBC production). We are so used to these renditions, that the original with Peggy Seeger really sounds kind of strange, but, as to expect, more like a traditional scottish tune.

Brilliant week John. And really appreciate the shout out for my song, I'm pretty proud of it myself and yes I will be taking it live at the earliest opportunity. Dunno about getting a band though.

Thank you John for hosting.
And thank you for your shout out for You Must Unload.
It's my honour to make music and art with Jon and Kevin.
It has been a good week.
Thanks again.

That doesn’t surprise me Geoff. I would imagine the Peggy Seeger version, and he did write it for her after all, was much closer to how he envisaged it. For me personally it’s Roberta Flack’s version every time :D

I recently saw a report that the only time he ever sang it himself, was when he sang it to Peggy over the phone. She'd asked him for a song for something she was involved in (not sure what) and that's what he came up with.

Top Bottom