Original Invite Message to the Six Seasons

chrimess

Reaction score
Damn, how time flies whether or not you are having fun...
Just checked my outbox and found the invite message to a select few ukers more than 8 years ago- amazing how you guys kept it going:
To all,
you are receiving this first because you are fabulous and esteemed members of the UU community!

I would like to give you a heads-up invite to a contest that is hitting this forum in two weeks- so get the Superbowl out of the way and get on your way! Here are the details:

• The contest is called “6 seasons of the Ukulele”
• There will be 6 weekly challenges, judged weekly by the charming Wolfybau, Mim and myself and some guest judges in writing and through YouTube
• Prizes awarded will be
o The Winner will be able to call themselves “Seasonist(a) of the Ukulele”
o Winner: Luna High Tide tenor with pickup- made of highly figured laminate Ovangkol (~African Rosewood)- this was my first uke that I have since sold but for the occasion acquired a brand new one. Here is what one of the premier uke retailers has to say about it:

"Are you looking for:
* a great sounding tenor ukulele
* that is very easy to play
* with a good pickup system for playing live or recording
Well this is the Luna High Tide Tenor…. and Seriously! this has GOT to be one of the best tenor ukes to come out in the last few years. If you want to find a nice sounding tenor with a good pickup system, in this price range, this the one !
The Luna HTT has a great “voice”. A bit scooped in the mids with bright highs and warmth below. It has an awesome strumming sound and would make a great instrument for any singer, songwriter. The active EQ on their preamp lets you dial in just the right tone for stage or recording. On top of that- It looks great! ~ a sweet balance between the traditional look, and the creative design aspects Luna’s are known for. The abalone waves are cool touches that make it unique without being “too much”. It’s a nice contrast to the satin natural look of the Ovangkol wood body, Maple wood binding, and Rosewood fretboard."

o Many surprise runner-up prizes- some handmade stuff, some NAMM swag and anything we need to buy to make this worthwhile to you
o Whoever sticks with us, will get a souvenir prize
• In order to qualify for the overall ranking, you have to submit at least 4 out of 6 challenge entries- the more you enter the better your changes- exact scoring to follow
• How to enroll: send me a PM and you are in- in order to stress your sincerity we would like you to make a donation to your favourite charity and tell us about it, this is not mandatory, though.
• The challenges will be related to an event that happens that particular week, eg “Madonna” for the week of the SuperBowl- don’t worry- it won’t be because 1) I do not want to give it away and 2) it is not 1985
• Challenge themes are announced on the UU thread every Saturday starting Feb 4th 2012 for 6 weeks and open the moment they are announced
• Weekly challenges close on the following Saturday night
• All times are Hawaiian- that is US Eastern -5 or German -11
• All video submissions must be single-take, no cuts in YouTube
• The judging criteria are musicality, passion, originality and lots of “Je ne sais quoi”(that certain appeal you just cannot put your finger on)- video editing is of NO importance
• Anything that looks or sounds like a Uke is allowed (from sopranino or smaller to UBASS or bigger)
• This is a contest for soloists
• We want to hear you sing, but instrumental s certainly qualify
• No-one is being eliminated except for cheating (multitakes, lipsinking, etc)

Hope this all makes sense, pls give me a shout if you have questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Christian

thank you so much for posting that! it's amazing to think we're on season 419 now!

particularly interesting to see how there wasn't overlap sunday, right at the start.

and that "single take" requirement - i go with the first take that i get through the whole song without the wheels falling off - if i'm lucky that is take one, but with something really tricky it can end up feeling like take one hundred!

I am impressed by all the personal growth in this community over the years!

The Seasons got me into music, recording & putting myself out there, (scary), even got me to write little ditties! :music:

Edit: Hope to return at some stage, so I keep butting in now & again.... :p :cool:

Last edited:
I don't think I was invited, back then, I just pushed my way into the seasons.

I haven't had much time lately to do any videos - I started working "normal" hours a bit more than 2 years back, and when i get home in the evening, I'm either cooking or doing laundry, or rushing to get out to meetings, uke groups, teaching fiber spinning, or helping my wife at the yarn shop.

I do recall the first few videos I did... even if I can't remember how to play some of the songs I've done... But the Seasons are responsible for my meeting some pretty phenomenal folks, both in person, and on line. Even doing a video with Dave and Mel in Sunnyvale, CA at a yarn shop in Sunnyvale CA, and attending the Wine Country Uke Fest not long afterward.

So thank you Christian, and thank you EVERYONE on UU for the Seasons!

-Kurt​

The Seasons pulled me into my first of several uke communities, even thought this one is virtual. Recording videos and reading comments also gave me inspiration to work on my (many) shortcomings and encouragement to keep at it.

So thanks!!

I think if I had ever seen that initial invitation, I would have recoiled in horror, totally intimidated, and never have had the nerve to take part! I didn't actually join until Season 215, and that was after a lot of persuasion from a friend. Now I am here, I love being involved ... I am not sure how much my playing ability has progressed; but being here is fun! I can only thank you, Christian, for initiating the whole Seasons thing and providing so much enjoyment for myself and many others.

Top Bottom