Bonanza Ukuleles Homestead Baritone - REVIEW

On the subject of waste, banging the environmental drum here, how much wood is wasted in the production process of these ukuleles as opposed to conventional top+sides+bottom manufacturing?
I might be totally wrong - I don't make my own- but surely a lot of wood is wasted by routing out 2 pieces of solid wood rather than slicing thin layers off?

Valid question. I have done it both ways. Truth be known, not a large amount of difference.

We all need to be environmentally conscious. How do I attempt to be a responsible steward of the earth? I walk to work. I may get in a vehicle twice a month. Seldom drive more than 20-30 miles in a month. I use a composting toilet. I don't fly across the ocean to go to ukulele festivals. Yes I attend one a ways away each year.

I wrestle with this all the time. We each must do the same. Maybe I am justifying it to myself.

PS: I have no problem with you asking the question.

When you look at how our modern world air ships, and boat ships and trucks freight EVERYWHEREt, I can’t see CNC milling locally sourced wood as being a big thread. I like the fact that Bonanza are trying different things with the Uke and with different building techniques. I’m looking forward to playing and perhaps owning a Homestead tenor. I thought the Oreo was pretty cool! Thank you Bonanza for being different.

I purchased a Bonanza Homestead baritone mahogany with pickup about a month ago. I'm a bit disappointed, though. The sound, after trying a number of different strings including fleurocarbon remains pretty muted. There are also a few build flaws: noticeable gap between the neck and body, unfinished portion of the neck, and almost worst of all, the brand name on the head stock is noticeably off center. These are not things I expected from a brand described as impeccable. Not sure what I'm going to do. Anybody interested?

I'd say contacting them is best. Wouldn't do it via a public forum either as you don't know what the resolution will be.

I purchased a Bonanza Homestead baritone mahogany with pickup about a month ago. I'm a bit disappointed, though. The sound, after trying a number of different strings including fleurocarbon remains pretty muted. There are also a few build flaws: noticeable gap between the neck and body, unfinished portion of the neck, and almost worst of all, the brand name on the head stock is noticeably off center. These are not things I expected from a brand described as impeccable. Not sure what I'm going to do. Anybody interested?

You said, "Anybody interested?" so I'm getting the sense that you would like to sell it rather than try to have it fixed?

I know Pete and Shelley...good, honest people. They aren't out to take advantage of anyone.

As Barry mentioned, the place to start is reaching out to Pete and letting him know what your issues are, perhaps with photos. And give him a chance to make it right. Unless you've already done that.

Chris

Mike, I am a bit surprised by your post.
On June 23 you sent us a nice note how much you liked the ukulele.
On June 30 you contacted us about possible other strings to use. Shelley responded.
Other than that not a word about your concerns.

We try to be responsive.
Email us please. Give us a chance is all we ask.

Mike, I am a bit surprised by your post.
On June 23 you sent us a nice note how much you liked the ukulele.
On June 30 you contacted us about possible other strings to use. Shelley responded.
Other than that not a word about your concerns.

We try to be responsive.
Email us please. Give us a chance is all we ask.

Quite!! Certainly the better way to go about things. I hate the internet sometimes!

Top Bottom