Sound samples

fungusgeek

Reaction score
I'm interested in what people do with regards to sound samples of instruments for sale. As an attempt to make a better, representative, sound sample I recently bought a mid-grade USB microphone that I could plug into my computer. After a bit of playing with recording levels the results are still not very good. Part of the issue may be the microphone and underlying sampling rate, but there is also the issue of playback. Since one is sending sound samples around via e-mail, or a link on a web site, I think that most people will be listening to the sample on their computer speakers. Except for gamers or serious audiophiles, most people do not have good external speakers, so the sound quality is limited to by the computer speakers. The net result is that the instrument sounds much better than any playback, to the point that the playback makes me think of a cheap import.

So- what do people do to get a good recording int he first place? Does one have to some how have access to a recording studio?

What do you do about quality of the customers playback environment?

Do you just beg off sending sound samples for all of these reasons?

Do you just beg off sending sound samples for all of these reasons?

Yes... Also I've noticed that people will tweak the recording to make it sound better, i.e. adding a little reverb and boosting the bass. Also I'm not interested in an eight minute version of "Tiny Bubbles" or admiring the builders ukulele virtuosity.

I rely on the crappy fidelity of my laptop/iPhone. If it sounds good there it's going to be great IRL.

I always get asked for sound samples.

I think it's a real statement of authenticity if a builder can competently demonstrate his builds... it is something that frequently comes up in discussion with clients and why they have purchased my work. If you do bling, well, that's another matter; you don't need to play it do you?

I record a lot and found mic placement to be extremely important for good sound. The worse place to point the mic is at the sound hole—boomy, finger noises, etc. My preference is to point the mic at the bridge area: sweeter and more even tone and less finger noise. Even a couple inches up or down makes a noticeable difference in tone. My second preference is to point the mic at the fingerboard around the 12th fret. It's also a nice sound but will pick up lots of thumb squeaks and fret noise if your technique isn't clean.

I was recently asked to provide a sound sample of an Aklot bamboo tenor cutaway that I recently received. I'm glad to see these suggestions, especially placement of the mic. I just ordered an adapter to plugin my Sony stereo mic with 3.5" stereo plug to my Mac Mini USB-C so I can record in stereo to either Garage Band or Audacity. I also us an iRig HD with my ukes that have a preamp/pickup, but it's not stereo. I would never tweak a sound sample, that's cheating. Once I receive the adapter, I'll test it and post the sample.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
If you listen to the recorded sound of a ukulele and think that is a good basis for deciding whether or not to buy, you are deluding yourself. However, people are very attached to their delusions and often use them to justify making much more important decisions.

John Colter

Top Bottom