Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby oil

Default Baby oil

Mrs T has made an unusual request..She wants to try using Baby Oil on the fret board as She dosn't like the Lemon oil...So I will obey and get some.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Synthetic, I hope? They don't still make it from real babies, do they?

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Synthetic, I hope? They don't still make it from real babies, do they?

John Colter
    Groan!... Baby oil is just perfumed mineral oil which is what fretboard "lemon oil" is. Same thing different scent. Just use plain old mineral oil. Nobody wants their uke to smell like a baby's butt. From wikipedia:

Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, paraffin oil, liquid paraffin (a highly refined medical grade), paraffinum liquidum (Latin), and liquid petroleum. Baby oil is a perfumed mineral oil.

I used La Tromba woodwind bore oil for my piccolo for about ten years until the remaining oil started to smell 'industrial'. My rosewood traverso I oiled with sweet almond oil, but after many years that also turned rancid. I switched over to peanut oil about three years ago and it doesn't appear to be building up or turn sticky. After I have oiled my flutes I occasionally use the oily paper towel on thirsty looking fretboards. I leave the uke out for about an hour and then I wipe off the excess . The wood looks definitely good and there is no smell.

I'm obviously not allergic to peanuts, if you are then stick to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    The maker of the ukuleles can specify whatever he thinks is best for the fretboards. And the punters will use it and there could be posts waxing lyrical about the advice across the internet.

Maybe have some fun and add a line to the uke specs:

Recommended Fretboard Oil: Mrs Timms Secret Recipe Stockton Light Oil.
    Fair enough. As a potential buyer, I appreciate the heads up that it might smell like that though!
    Glenn

The maker of the ukuleles can specify whatever he thinks is best for the fretboards. And the punters will use it and there could be posts waxing lyrical about the advice across the internet.

UK punter definition?
    Is it a gambler?
    Is it a prostitute's customer (cf: Murder Call, Australian tv show)?
    Is it a potential buyer for a used car (cf: Wheeler Dealer TV show)?
    I'm from the US, and the use of "punter" has me a bit confused...sounds a little too universal. What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bean View Post
    I used La Tromba woodwind bore oil for my piccolo for about ten years until the remaining oil started to smell 'industrial'. My rosewood traverso I oiled with sweet almond oil, but after many years that also turned rancid. I switched over to peanut oil about three years ago and it doesn't appear to be building up or turn sticky. After I have oiled my flutes I occasionally use the oily paper towel on thirsty looking fretboards. I leave the uke out for about an hour and then I wipe off the excess . The wood looks definitely good and there is no smell.

I'm obviously not allergic to peanuts, if you are then stick to something else.
    Peanut oil also eventually turns rancid. Will be interesting to see how things fare in a few more years.
    Last edited by kookoolele; 03-01-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    UK punter definition?
    Is it a gambler?
    Is it a prostitute's customer (cf: Murder Call, Australian tv show)?
    Is it a potential buyer for a used car (cf: Wheeler Dealer TV show)?
    I'm from the US, and the use of "punter" has me a bit confused...sounds a little too universal. What does it mean?
    All of the above.

From the Oxford dictionary:

punter. noun. 1 informal, chiefly British a person who gambles, places a bet, or makes a risky investment. • a customer or client, especially a member of an audience.

I'm no expert on language but it is a widely used word in the UK. I regularly use the word in the sense of a customer or client or someone considering a course of action or making a choice. I might also use the expression "to take a punt" whilst buying or choosing possibly implying that there was some uncertainty whether this was a good decision ( a gamble).

eg 'It looks too cheap but I'm willing to take a punt on it'.
    Last edited by greenscoe; 03-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.

http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

same with strings...buy plastic fishing line (All kinds of line out there, many colours and types to choose from)...Cut it into lengths put e’m in packets think of a good name and sell at a large profit.

Thread Information