Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin C1M

Default Martin C1M

Saw this one on eBay, and have never seen one before. Anyone know the story behind these? Looks like a Made in Mexico model, just like a C1K, with mahogany instead of koa.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Martin...Condition=3000
    John

Can't say I know anything about these, but this would look beautiful next to my all mahogany Martin guitar. I wonder what specifically they mean by mahogany veneer?

A grand and change is kinda pricy for mahogany veneer. I wonder if that's an error. The doghair grain on the top is doggone good tho'

Seems sketchy.

I seem to recall reading that Martin are open to making custom lines if you buy a few. The seller seems to have had others of these listed and I wonder whether they had a bunch made by Martin. Would explain the inflated price.

EDIT - scratch that - see they are listed as pre-owned. If that is the case I'm more confused now!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Never heard of it, Google "Martin C1 uke special" and there's another one on ebay. Tried to post a link but UU thought it was spam (happens every time I try to post a link?) The other one is also in Japan, maybe it's a Japanese market product. Agree with a statement above, seems pricey for a laminate.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

No idea whether Martin has made mahogany versions of their cheaper concert (or tenor) models but I guess it's possible. Personally, I believe this one is actually solid wood and the mention of "veneer" is just some sort of translation error. And I have to say, this particular one looks fantastic.

Regarding the price, these Japanese sellers on eBay often charge ridiculously high prices compared to US or European dealers. Sometimes like twice the price. No idea why...

Yes, many of the Martin ukes on eBay from Japan are commonly 2-3 times more expensive than US prices. If you look at that sellers other items, there's lots of golf clubs, with musical instruments too. Searching under "Martin" within the seller's eBay store, you can see that they have 10 of these C1M ukes for sale, some listed as "Martin Ctm C1 Uke Special", looks like the same thing. 7 of the 10 are listed as Used, 3 as New.

I sent a question into Martin on this one, and will let you know what they say. My guess is these were a special order for a dealer in Japan willing to purchase a bunch of them. I wonder if a US dealer, like Elderly, could place a special order for them too?

Here's a label on another one I Googled. They seem to be similar to the S1 soprano, but concert sized. Hey Martin, bring these to the US!

C1 label.jpg

Here's another one from that same seller, listed as New:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-G-Cl...UAAOSwZedePqPJ

C1 Uke Special.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-04-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    John

Default Martin C1 video

YouTube video from 2012, so they've apparently been around for a while, at least in Japan. IMO, as expected, the mahogany version sounds a bit warmer than the koa C1K. A side-by-side comparison would be interesting.

Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-04-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    John

Although a few of these C1M ukes are listed on eBay, I didn't see any marked as sold. But, someone got a sweet deal on this one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAR...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-04-2020 at 05:12 AM.
    John

Thread Information