Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worth clears vs. Martin fluoros? any difference?

Default worth clears vs. Martin fluoros? any difference?

Just wondering if you've tried them both, and your impressions.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Very similar sound IMO, but some of the Martin strings are slightly fatter, especially the C string.
    John

I think it's important to note that there are different versions of Worth clears. So it'd need to be narrowed down more to get a fair comparison. I have played strings by both makers. I can't say I can tell enough of a sound difference in the ones I tried to consider that as a huge factor. The main factor for me would be which set I like better as far as diameter and string tension. I most often choose the worth clear lights. Those have less tension than the Martins if I remember correctly... Not sure how the worth medium or hard tension compare. Maybe someone else can chime in there.

I have used both extensively. To me, Martin seems to be middle of the road. Worth clear is a bit brighter. But they are similar enough that I can only tell the difference if I know which is which.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

In my opinion the sound difference between the two is negligible, with the Worth Clears (the CT's) being a bit more balanced around the highs and the Martin fluorocarbons being a bit brighter.

Worth CT's, however, are the only fluorocarbons I've used that don't fray after a week of playing. For comparison, the Martins frayed after just two days of playing.
    I play fingerstyle (っ✿◕‿◕)っ♪♬
    Youtube
    Spotify
    Mililani, HI // Irvine, CA
    UC Irvine c/o 2018

Quote Originally Posted by CasanovaGuy View Post
    For comparison, the Martins frayed after just two days of playing.
    What do you mean by "frayed"? I've never heard this term in the context of ukulele strings.

Quote Originally Posted by CasanovaGuy View Post
    ... ...Worth CT's, however, are the only fluorocarbons I've used that don't fray after a week of playing. For comparison, the Martins frayed after just two days of playing.
    I use Martin M620 a lot on one of my tenors. I've never had any problem with them, whatsoever, even after 4-5 months of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    I use Martin M620 a lot on one of my tenors. I've never had any problem with them, whatsoever, even after 4-5 months of usage.
    Me too with over a years play on a couple of them. Great strings.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

I also think that the Martins sound a tad brighter than the Worths but they are very similar for sure. Of course, I assume here that the comparison is made with Worth medium tension string, i.e., CMs, CTs and CBs. In my experience, Worths have ever so slightly less tension compared to the Martins which might be because they are indeed a bit thinner.

For some reason, I've experienced some slight intonation issues with the Martin fluoros and even with the Martin premium strings. Same uke with Worth strings and the intonation was perfect. I've no idea why this is. It's probably the main reason I prefer Worths. If I was able to solve the intonation issue I could go with either one.

I found the Worth Clears, both Low-G and High-g, to be a little easier on my fingers than the Martin fluoros. Not sure why, but the Martins always felt like I was trying to play wire cheese cutters. Not as bendy I suppose.

However, I thought the Worth clears were less bright.

I prefer Worth Brown mediums which seem a little warmer. But Living Waters are my favorites.

Did have a burr on one of the nuts fray an E string Martin 620. But a little brown paper smoothed the slot and never had an issue again.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 03-05-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information