Humidity causing fret buzz?

robinboyd

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm a bit mystified, but one of my ukes has developed EXTREME fret buzz at the first 5 frets. The only factor I can think of is that its a misty, rainy day today. I ran a straight edge along the frets and none of them seem to be poking out. My hygrometer tells me that the internal humidity is 54%, so even though it's pretty humid outside, It's not too bad inside. Inside temp is 21 degrees Celsius, so not too cold either. I just don't get it.

Humidity seems unlikely.

Low humidity can cause the top to sink, which lowers the action. If too low, buzz would be worse on the lower frets.

Measure the action (height from fret top to underside of strings) at the 12th fret. If it's lower than 2mm (just under 3/32 inch) then buzzing is likely, and most players get on better with action between 2.5mm and 3mm (3mm= 1/8).

If the action has dropped suddenly, then it's more likely something mechanical. Suspects would be that the saddle has tilted forwards (could be lifting back of the bridge or a crack in the bridge), or that a brace has popped loose (and the brace itself could cause the buzz).

But there are other causes of buzzes - a loose tuner button is one example. If the action is OK, try pressing on everything which might come loose while playing a note which causes the buzz, to see if it goes away.

Humidity seems unlikely.

Low humidity can cause the top to sink, which lowers the action. If too low, buzz would be worse on the lower frets.

Measure the action (height from fret top to underside of strings) at the 12th fret. If it's lower than 2mm (just under 3/32 inch) then buzzing is likely, and most players get on better with action between 2.5mm and 3mm (3mm= 1/8).

If the action has dropped suddenly, then it's more likely something mechanical. Suspects would be that the saddle has tilted forwards (could be lifting back of the bridge or a crack in the bridge), or that a brace has popped loose (and the brace itself could cause the buzz).

But there are other causes of buzzes - a loose tuner button is one example. If the action is OK, try pressing on everything which might come loose while playing a note which causes the buzz, to see if it goes away.

Thanks ProfChris

Before I could try any of those things, it went away on its own. It was just weird. Lasted for a few hours.

Top Bottom