Make Campanella Sound Like Campanella?

Puglele

Reaction score
I really like the Campanella style, partially because I enjoy Celtic music a lot. However, when I practice with the Campanella tabs, my playing sounds like just normal music . I listen to the tutorial audio, the teacher’s sound more like real Celtic tunes.
I’m wondering what are some tricks / tips to make the music more “jumping”? Like Harp sound?

One criteria that may not be sufficiently emphasised is to keep the plucked string fretted for absolutely as long as possible. The "typical harp sound" is, in part, caused by the strings not being damped, but being allowed to "ring out" (bell-style - campanella).
This is the reason for the alternative fingering patterns used in campanella style, so fingers don't have to change position until absolutely necessary.
Another factor may be uneven picking, where one or more strings are played louder (or quieter) than the rest, thereby masking the underlying tones.

Good luck :music:

Obviously you need to keep the note fretted as long as possible. As soon as you lift the finger, the chiming is going to stop. The whole beauty of this style is the intertonality (or whatever it is called) where the previous note is still chiming while the next note is begun. If you're not doing that, you may as well just play the song in the regular fashion and save yourself the headache. That's the obvious thing. For me, something less obvious was watching Samantha Muir play. She plays soft. As ukulele players we're always compensating for having little instruments; we're trying to get big and loud sounds. Learning to play softly and consistently adds to the chiming. The consistency part is especially hard. I finger pick with three fingers. Those fingers have different strengths because of life in general. It is a task to regulate them so that they are generating the same level of sound.

Thanks everyone. I was trying to be fast —- that’s a problem. The teaching audio makes it sound like the music goes very daft, like raindrops. So I tried to improve my speed as well.

You may already know this, but you can adjust the speed on YouTube videos.

Top Bottom