Best strings for hands with arthritis.

terrgy

Reaction score
I have arthritis in both my hands. Ongoing for several years. About two years ago, I even quit playing ukulele for several months. Concentrated on harmonica. That actually turned out to be a good thing. I was just pondering this morning. Would certain strings be gentler on my fingers?

I am basically a strummer. Perhaps someone could make a recommendation that has worked for you.

Having some minor arthritic problems, I decided to go online and list all the strings I could find by thickness. In general the denser the string, the more tension should be needed compared to a less dense string. However, it doesn't seem to be that way for many people in this thread. -> https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...suggestions-for-strings-for-arthritic-fingers . The Martin and Worth fluorocarbons are thin and get a lot of pluses from people looking for strings that are easy on the fingers/hands.

Last edited:
Fluorocarbons will be the easiest - I don't have any medical reason, but I prefer to use concert scale fluorocarbon strings on my ukes, (both tenor & concert scales).

Having some minor arthritic problems, I decided to go online and list all the strings I could find by thickness. In general the denser the string, the more tension should be needed compared to a less dense string. However, it doesn't seem to be that way for many people in this thread. -> https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...suggestions-for-strings-for-arthritic-fingers . However, the Martin and Worth fluorocarbons are thin and get a lot of pluses from people looking for strings that are easy on the fingers/hands.

Thanks to all who responded. I read the thread above, and that pretty well summed it up.

Fluorocarbons will be the easiest - I don't have any medical reason, but I prefer to use concert scale fluorocarbon strings on my ukes, (both tenor & concert scales).

I think this is one of those 'depends on the person' things (like pretty much anything with strings). I say that because whilst I have no reason to tell you your suggestion is wrong, personally, I always find nylon strings the ones that are MUCH softer and easier on the fingers. I don't use them for the same reason as I find that they are too easy to bend out of tune with my clumsy playing. But that's just me. I know many pro's prefer nylon for recording as they consider the tone to be superior.

You could be right, Baz, but I tried a few different nylon/nylgut & 'reds' before trying fluoros, & they work best for me, as I didn't like the feel of what I had tried before finding (Living Water) fluoros, which I find to be easier with less tension, (the reason for my suggestion). :cool:

I took your suggestion, and others, and ordered a set of Living Water fluoros low G, for my tenor.

Hopefully I will be as happy as can be. Thanks!

Terrgy,

I have arthritic fingers as well, and the two brands of strings that I have found most comfortable are Living Waters and PhD.

Jan

I took your suggestion, and others, and ordered a set of Living Water fluoros low G, for my tenor.

Hopefully I will be as happy as can be. Thanks!

If the Living Water doesn't quite do it for you, there are two other things to try. Get concert strings and put them on your tenor. Secondly, if you don't play with anyone else, downtune. My main ukulele, for example, is tuned to EAC#F# (three frets looser than GCEA) because that's what feels good to me.

Terrgy,

I have arthritic fingers as well, and the two brands of strings that I have found most comfortable are Living Waters and PhD.

Jan

Jan, I am so sorry. Wouldn’t wish this on anybody. I guess we could just quit playing. Not. After I had an artificial knuckle implant in my right pointer finger, the hand therapist gave me his best advice. Quit playing. Not. I advised myself and cut back. Good advice.

I wish you the best.

If the Living Water doesn't quite do it for you, there are two other things to try. Get concert strings and put them on your tenor. Secondly, if you don't play with anyone else, downtune. My main ukulele, for example, is tuned to EAC#F# (three frets looser than GCEA) because that's what feels good to me.

Ripock, thank you for great advice. I play alone, so I’ll give the lower tuning a try.

Have you considered changing your STYLE of playing to "slack key" ? Tuning becomes GCEG and something is used to lay flat across the strings right over the frets. Open all strings is a C chord. Across the 5th Fret is the F chord and across the 7th, becomes the G chord. Slide everything to the 2nd fret ,and add 2 frets to 5 and 7 gives you 7 and 9 and you are now in the key of D-G -A. Strings can be whatever you like best. This also allows people missing fingers to not miss out in the fun. ( If you play a baritone the positions are the same, but the chord names are different , E-A-D-A)

Jan, I am so sorry. Wouldn’t wish this on anybody. I guess we could just quit playing. Not. After I had an artificial knuckle implant in my right pointer finger, the hand therapist gave me his best advice. Quit playing. Not. I advised myself and cut back. Good advice.

I wish you the best.

Thanks, terrgy. Arthritis is definitely no fun. But I’ve been playing musical instruments for more than 60 years and I’m not going to stop now. When I die, they will quite likely have to pry an instrument from my cold, unbending arthritic fingers. :)

Jan

Have you considered changing your STYLE of playing to "slack key" ? Tuning becomes GCEG and something is used to lay flat across the strings right over the frets. Open all strings is a C chord. Across the 5th Fret is the F chord and across the 7th, becomes the G chord. Slide everything to the 2nd fret ,and add 2 frets to 5 and 7 gives you 7 and 9 and you are now in the key of D-G -A. Strings can be whatever you like best. This also allows people missing fingers to not miss out in the fun. ( If you play a baritone the positions are the same, but the chord names are different , E-A-D-A)

No, I never thought of that. When all else fails, perhaps, there is slack key. Thank you.

Top Bottom