Speaking of quiet...Kala T tenor question.

rps

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing a tenor uke; so I rented a Kala T from our local Long and McQuade to see if I would like it.

I really like the tone and the fretboard....Bm is really easy for me on it.

What I found was it is so quiet when in my uke group I can hardly hear it.

Now my regular uke is a Gold Tone Little Gem so I understand there will be a difference...but surely I should be able to hear the Kala when in a group.

Are they usually that quiet or is it my unfamiliarity with it in a group setting?

Thank

Rp

I've heard/read of others complain that they can't hear themselves play when in a group setting, I believe this is why some people have side sound ports. :)

Good to hear that i’m Not the only one. I have no problem with my banjouke but it is quite a stoccato sounding instrument compared to the Kala. I may try another brand.

Every Kala model is different but those with more volume and brighter timbres tend to cut through better in an ensemble setting. A dark mellow timbre tends to blend and get covered up in a mix. My Kala Elite Doghair, albeit mahogany, is a screamer and a bit edgy and cuts right through an ensemble of a dozen or so ukuleles. On the other hand, my Kala Elite Koa, while about as loud as the Doghair, is darker and more mellow in tone and easily get lost in the mix. Kala models with spruce oe cedar tops and maple, koa or mahogany back/sides tend be a little brighter than an all solid mahogany or koa model.

Thanx gochugogi, this will help me understand what I should look for. I haven’t decided on the T as yet. I’ve rented it for a month and am playing it where I normally play. I might try another model or brand to see how they do.

I like the feel and tone of the Kala.....it may take me a month to finally make up my mind.

Thanx gochugogi, this will help me understand what I should look for. I haven’t decided on the T as yet. I’ve rented it for a month and am playing it where I normally play. I might try another model or brand to see how they do.

I like the feel and tone of the Kala.....it may take me a month to finally make up my mind.

Comparing any tenor ukulele to a banjo-uke is like comparing an acoustic guitar to an electric guitar plugged into an amp cranked to 10, not a fair fight.

I have a number of loud spruce topped tenors but when I play at our uke jam attended by over 35 people I cannot hear myself. You will usually get more volume out of a solid spruce or cedar top tenor, spruce being brighter will cut through better

Depends upon how loud your group is.

Much of the time, our uke club gets very loud with everyone playing very hard for the very reason that they can't hear themselves. So everyone cranks it up.

I have found that my Ko'Aloha, Martin 1T IZ and MP Myrtle all cut through and are very pronounced. Can't hide my mistakes with those. Surprisingly, my Spruce/Rosewood Pono is not as loud because it blends with the others. I have Living Waters fluorocarbons on all but the Martin. It has Fremont Black Lines.

Top Bottom