Silver Wattle

sequoia

Reaction score
A neighbor cut down a silver wattle (Acacia dealbata) on her property and offered some split rounds as wood for an ukulele. Has some nice figure there. I passed on the deal as I really don't have the time right now to deal with it. Just posting this on as an inspiration to you uke makers out there that good wood is everywhere and free for the taking if you just look.

silver wattle acacia (Acacia dealbata).jpg

https://www.wood-database.com/silver-wattle/

Oo, that looks nice. I'd be all over that. I'm really into using locally sourced wood, even better if a native species. We have mimosa trees all over the place here, and have been thinking of trying to get some, if I can find it big enough.

Black Wattle is used by some builders here in Hawaii. Looks about the same. Hard wood.

Actually as I understand it, black wattle is just another name for silver wattle. Same wood, different name, but these common names can be confusing and black wattle from Australia might be a different species. I know Allan of Baron River Ukuleles uses "black wattle" to make some incredible looking ukes... By the way, most people that cut wood up into rounds around here cut it to 16 inches which is too small for tenor sides for my plans. I need 18 inches and little extra for wiggle room.

I believe silver wattle is also know as silver acacia. It's a lot different than black acacia. We have both here in Northern CA. The silver is a smaller tree, smooth silver bark, yellow flowers, Black acacia has a very rough bark, almost florescent dark green leaves. I harvested an built instruments from both.

There are a few black woods in Australia. Black wattle or black acacia, acacia melanoxylon grows from brisbane down to Tasmania. Further north acacia magnium is also known as black wattle and is extensively propagated overseas.
The local naturalists have found over 200 species of wattle just in my local area, including frost hardy varieties of acacia dealbeata. Most of these are just small shrubs.

How are you so immune to Wood Acquisition Syndrome??

WAS is a terrible, debilitating illness that can effect luthiers at any point destroying relationships, family, friends to say nothing of storage space. Treatment is available... The truth is I have been thinking about this stuff at night. Tossing and turning. It is destined for somebodies fire place if I don't take it. Bummer.

By the way, the title is wrong. This stuff is black acacia not silver acacia. I didn't realize that black acacia grows around here and assumed it was silver wattle.

Top Bottom