Season 421 - God and Satan

Well the first 24 hours of this season have been fantastic! Really high standard throughout.

Here's another from me, at risk of stepping on Wim's toes.

Here’s one from fantastic Canadian singer/songwriter Ron Sexsmith. He’s written some beautiful songs over the years, of which this is one, off Cobblestone Runway. I’m not sure where Ron stands on Religion, and even though I have no religious belief, I just love this song, the hope and optimism of it, which I think anyone can tap into. Like a lot of Ron Sexsmith songs, it sounds simple til you try to do it yourself :D

Thanks for hosting Ryan! Going to try and get something together. Is there a playlist link?

:)

Season 421, 421. I said 420 in the video due to abstracted detraction from the existence of reality.or similar.

Last edited:
this, an original song for the season
a retelling of Melville's Moby Dick
featuring kev on electrics

Last edited:
This original from 2010 came from a time when turning things over to a higher power was one of my priorities.
The way I look at it nowadays is that there are times in life when surrendering to God, giving oneself to a higher power or, as I paraphrase from another song here, letting Jesus take the wheel is exactly what a person needs to do in life.
Today, I don't have to drink, but I can if I want to.

Right, I'm caught up but haven't had chance to comment on all the videos yet. I have watched them all and they're all fantastic. I'm out most of the day today, hoping I have a lot to come back to!

The last song Janis Joplin recorded.

Dear Ryan,
This is a great theme. Thanks for your time to host this week.
This is my fractured cover of a Marianne Faithfull song from her 1995 album "A Secret Life". A friend gave me this album many years ago. I remember that this song made me feel sad when I listened to it. I haven't heard it in ages but it came to my mind last night. There are many inspiring gospel songs, and then there are many traditionals and folk songs on the theme. But this song came to my mind. It doesn't mention God nor Satan, but I think the devil is in the song. I recorded this with my phone today at a park nearby my parents' flat, overlooking a busy road. Then I came back and added some bass to it, using the built-in bass function in the recording app called Walk Band on my phone. My timing is off in some places, but I tried.

Laminated soprano uke;
Sounds of cars passing by;
Bird songs;
My voice;
Sort of fake bass;
A photo of a page from a handmade book of mine from years ago. It shows one of my paintings from that time;
Purple Smurf cartoon bedsheet.
( best to listen with earphones because of the noises and the bass:))

Hope this is not too painful for your ears.

Last edited:
Hello again, Ryan! Having been "Godly" earlier in the week, I really wanted to be Satanic, but it was very difficult to find a "wicked" song. This one is from The Kinks' 1968 album, "The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society". Annabella is undoubtedly wicked and, possibly, Satanic, as "no Christian man" has ever crossed her threshold.

Last edited:
Here I have a complete contrast to the songs that are posted yet, but with religious background.

These are the lyrics...

1. May the road bring us together
and the wind will be on your back;
gentle rain fall on your fields
and warm on your face the sunshine.

Refrain: And until we see each other again
may God hold you firmly in his hand;
and until we see each other again
may God hold you firmly in his hand.

2. Lead the road you walk
downhill only to your destination;
have warm thoughts when it gets cool
and the full moon in the dark night.

3. Have a soft pillow under your head,
have clothes and the daily bread;
be in heaven for over forty years
before the devil realizes you're already dead

4. Until we meet again
I hope that God won't leave you;
he holds you in his hands,
but don't push his fist too tight.

Last edited:
I play a lot of non-U2 songs that match this theme, this is one of them, this is called Have an Angel Walk With Her by Martyn Joseph.

Top Bottom