Thread: Choose plate for top vs back

Default Choose plate for top vs back

Got two cherry plates for my next old island style soprano just about ready. I'm wondering which would be a better top, and which one for the back. They are both scraped down to about .075 inches now, and one is much stiffer and has a higher tap tone. The one on the right has more heartwood in the center and is the stiffer/higher pitched one. The one on the left has the nice sapwood down the middle (I like the look of it), and is much looser and lower pitched. I was planning on the left one being the back, for looks, but now not so sure. I believe the top should be the looser, lower pitched of the two, correct? Any thoughts?
    KIMG0771.jpg

The left one for the back, you spend more time looking at the front, would be a shame not to have it shown to people when played.

Irrespective of looks, you will be left wondering about the 'what ifs' if you don't put your best sounding board to the top … the back spends its playing time up against your shirt. If they both had the same tap tone qualities, then you could consider and prioritise the appearance aspects.

Double post. (I am yet to figure out how to delete a post).
    Last edited by bazuku; 03-07-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Ah yes... these are the things we think about. I would go with the right one for the top and the left one for the back, but this is a decision you have to make. The left one has some nice spider webbing that just might pop after finishing.

Thanks for the insights. I went with the one on the right for top ( the stiffer). Even after thinning a bit more, it still has a higher pitched tap, and is more bell-like. So we'll see!

Thread Information