Simple 1 Mic setup. What?

A condenser mic works best for both voice and uke, but it requires phantom power and most battery amps are not equipped with phantom power.
If you wear your uke high, you might get away with a Shure SM-58 or a Beta 58. These are the industry standard for vocal mics and fortunately, they won't break the bank like a condenser and they're relatively indestructible compared to a condenser.

I've always been happy with the Kustom PA50 - AC powered, will let you plug in a mic and a uke - Cost is around $100.

There's also the Behringer Europort MPA40BT - runs on battery or AC. Multiple inputs.

But you didn't tell us how loud you want things; There are also the Vox MiniG3, or the Roland Micro cube, both run batter or AC, around $150.
You can plug an SM57/58 in to any of them.

Hey Fingers, the Kustom PA-50 is highly recommended! Super portable but really kicks out the power. Not terribly expensive at all, AND it has "phantom power", so if you want to use a condenser mic that requires either phantom power or a battery, without worrying about putting a battery in the mic, you're covered! Shure used to make a relatively inexpensive condenser mic called the PG-81 (I think PG stood for "Performance Gear"), which works really well for picking up both your uke and your voice-- and without having to "be right on top of it". It can be powered either by phantom power or a "AA" battery, which lasts seemingly forever in this application. If you can find a pre-owned PG-81, I would definitely recommend that! The nice thing about the Kustom PA-50 is that it has two mic channels, so if you wanted to, you could use the condenser mic for the uke, and maybe a good old Shure SM-57 for your vocals, without complicating your setup too much. The PA-50 also has a third channel for routing in music from an mp3 player, for instance, which makes it good if you ever use backing tracks; or you could just play mp3 music thru that channel for the heck of it. The only slight "negative" with the PA-50 is that it doesn't have reverb.

Thanks folks. I'm learning a lot here. Addressing the issue of how loud: Small venues like a large living room. Usually just me or 3 players at the most. Sort of thought we could play bluegrass style, moving toward or away from the mic for volume.

You might like to check out the Rode NT3. I use one for my voice and guitar when playing in church (single mic setup) and it works a treat. It is a condenser microphone, but it can run off phantom power or battery so you're covered if you're amp/mixer doesn't have phantom power built it. It's also considerably lighter than a large condenser such as the Rode NT1/NT2 (of which I also happen to own and use for recording purposes only).

Another option would be the AKG C1000s which is very similar to the RODE NT3 and also runs off phantom power or battery. I've not personally used one but have read good reviews.

So you're not worried about going to a mixer or recording digitally? Just for live performance?

I record videos for YouTube with a single Blue Snowball microphone into my iPhone (11). That works pretty well, and I don't want to spend a ton of money to make better sounding or looking videos at this point (none of the channels produce any income). But that's with me recording in my house, usually after everyone else has gone to bed...meaning that there isn't much other noise around.

A single mic for uke and voice in a performance setting just seems tricky for many environments (I'm thinking of a coffee house, for example). I'd want a mic for me and a mic for the ukulele, and the ability to control each.

If there are any Bluegrass jams or Gatherings near you, go and talk to the sound guys and the bands. At the Minnesota Bluegrass Fall Jam/Uke Gathering most of the Bluegrass groups played around one mic. Some had a central microphone with a couple of other satellite mics for the louder instruments. Maybe ask any Bluegrass players or organizations in CO, about inexpensive single mic equipment.

A single mic for uke and voice in a performance setting just seems tricky for many environments (I'm thinking of a coffee house, for example). I'd want a mic for me and a mic for the ukulele, and the ability to control each.
Another vote for the Kustom PA50. In my circumstances which is often times small venues like coffee shops, as Chris is referring to, I'm looking for balance, not a lot of volume. I play louder than I sing. So I've gone the one mic route and tried to just mic my mouth and let the uke fend for itself to mixed results. I've had an easier time with two mics, one mic on a boom off the same stand, not a big thing, then plugging them both into the PA50 and modulating them there. Actually at this point I've gone beyond that as well, but that's for another thread. But I use a tablet for my music and it has a decibel meter app that turns the whole screen into a display. When I set up I put it out where my audience is going to sit, then go back and balance everything. It works real slick. Just a tip if that is what one is trying to do.

Last edited:
If there are any Bluegrass jams or Gatherings near you, go and talk to the sound guys and the bands. At the Minnesota Bluegrass Fall Jam/Uke Gathering most of the Bluegrass groups played around one mic. Some had a central microphone with a couple of other satellite mics for the louder instruments. Maybe ask any Bluegrass players or organizations in CO, about inexpensive single mic equipment.
Great idea. I live near Telluride. Not hard to find Bluegrass bands. Also have a friend who works with the visiting groups to set them up on stage. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that. Still, I am learning a good deal on this post. Thanks all.

Can't go wrong with a Shure SM58.
Paired with a good system like the Kustom PA50, you'll be ready to rock.

Buy a Shure X2U, and you can even use the SM58 for all your recording needs too through a computer.

A Rode M3 condenser mic will work without external phantom power (via an internal 9v battery), or with external power; and it costs just $149 USD. I tried it (at home) with a Pono spruce-top baritone and my own voice, and it was great in balance, volume, clarity. I no longer feel the urge (aka "need") to have a pickup in my ukes. If I had just one mic, that would be the one. (I don't want to have just one mic, however.)

The setup you want is basically the setup that I currently use for busking.
One condenser microphone with its own battery power supply into a battery powered speaker / micro PA.
I currently use an iSK CM-60 condenser microphone with its own battery supply into a battery powered Roland AC-33 amplifier.
Others have made some good suggestions already however. If I had to replace my micro PA today I would be using a Rode NT3/M3 microphone into a Behringer MPA40BT battery powered speaker.

Top Bottom