Fear of Crowds

Cynthia Lin just cancelled two events: one in Berkeley, Ca and one in New York. Going forward, there is a good chance that this will be a lost season for ukulele festivals and events.

Now officially a pandemic, as announced today by WHO. We're at the same early stage as China was 2 months ago. Things are getting better there now, so we probably have 2-3 months of tough times ahead here, before it subsides.

Cynthia Lin just cancelled two events: one in Berkeley, Ca and one in New York. Going forward, there is a good chance that this will be a lost season for ukulele festivals and events.

I have four events coming up, three paid for, but I don't think I'll go. If I did go, I'd be nervous the whole time. I think our weekly session (20 people) will be put on hold indefinitely. I look at it this way: I get the virus, and I die.

EDIT: The Folk Project in NJ has canceled two up-coming events.

Last edited:
I have four events coming up, three paid for, but I don't think I'll go. If I did go, I'd be nervous the whole time. I think our weekly session (20 people) will be put on hold indefinitely. I look at it this way: I get the virus, and I die.

EDIT: The Folk Project in NJ has canceled two up-coming events.

Yep, I'm with you. If one is over 60, it's a gamble. I prefer to not go to a large event, get sick, and then miss the next one because I'm dead.

The way I find myself rubbing my nose, I may need to get one of those cones they put on dogs to stop me from touching my face :)

Yep, I'm with you. If one is over 60, it's a gamble. I prefer to not go to a large event, get sick, and then miss the next one because I'm dead.

The way I find myself rubbing my nose, I may need to get one of those cones they put on dogs to stop me from touching my face :)

Speaking of nose cones -

Hajib Masks.jpg

My husband and I are in the target age, and my husband has asbestosis. I did not attend our weekly ukulele meetup this week, and will stay away. I am teaching my college classes via online until at least April 3rd.

Just 2 minutes ago received an email fro my local Senior Center.
CLOSED
Only event ongoing will be the daily meals - which will be served “to go” Style.

Two of my Uke gatherings, at ~public locals, have been shuttered.

One other, meets Monday’s at a music store, is on going. But, from the photos posted, attendance dropped this week from 50 to 25. And it may be shuttered.

The 4th is a dozen people in a private home, meeting twice a month.

I’m attending none.

Here in Arkansas we are pretty safe. Why, in the past two and a half months we have completed a grand total of 6 tests. All is well!!

Big events coming up here near Boston are the annual St. Patricks Day Parade this weekend, and Boston Marathon in April. So far, neither has been cancelled. I have been getting unusual offers from movie theater chains, offering free food items if you come to see a movie. Also, I wouldn't want to in the cruise ship business right now. I hope this virus fades away soon.

They just postponed the marathon,.
Also The major theaters and Boston Garden have cancelled events

Very disappointed, I am supposed to be at Smoldering Uke this weekend, but it has been postponed until September.
Today I get an email that the Reno Festival is now postponed until September.

That's a smart move. Don't do much testing, and you keep your infection numbers low. :D

Uh Oh. They just started testing here in Arky. Six "presumptive" positives in two days. Wait a week or two for confirmation. Everyone here had already figured it out on their own that this thing has been around for the past couple of weeks. My folk group has cancelled March and April at our nursing homes. The monthly folk jam just cancelled. Everything is not as "alright" as it was a day or two ago...

I have a former coworker who moved to Clarksville. My wife used to take business trips to Russleville. I had some business dealings in Gould.

All that being said....

Boy, howdy, am I stifling the urge to make smarmy, un-called for, poor quality, jokes.

BTW, I am about 30 mile away from Travis AFB where all the sickies are being held in quarantine. And the sickie buses are traveling through my town, albeit ion the freeway, to get there.

Ack! Ack! Cough! Sneeze!

And my Music Store group has just decided to cancel

And the Reno Uke Festival just rescheduled for September.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a stack of Purell bottles for sale
$50,000 apiece
$100,000 if you want them with Purell inside.
😇

I have a former coworker who moved to Clarksville. My wife used to take business trips to Russleville. I had some business dealings in Gould.

All that being said....

Boy, howdy, am I stifling the urge to make smarmy, un-called for, poor quality, jokes.

BTW, I am about 30 mile away from Travis AFB where all the sickies are being held in quarantine. And the sickie buses are traveling through my town, albeit ion the freeway, to get there.

Ack! Ack! Cough! Sneeze!

And my Music Store group has just decided to cancel

And the Reno Uke Festival just rescheduled for September.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have a stack of Purell bottles for sale
$50,000 apiece
$100,000 if you want them with Purell inside.
��

I have three rolls of the large size three ply toilet paper and half a bottle of hand sanitizer. I'll trade it for a 1968 Camaro. On a serious note, my wife and I are all ready and paid for for a two week river cruise in France and a week in England starting the first week in June. Last week we were offered vouchers to postpone it if we wanted. We thought that was just silly. I don't know if it is or not today.

I went online and made a modest contribution. It's an easy way to contribute to a good cause.

And thank you very much, Jerry.

The event is schedule for 6 days after I'm supposed to bring my mother for her first Radiation Therapy treatment. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the hospital decides to postpone the treatment; she is 84, and has had lung problems long before the cancer showed up.

In the event that the St. Baldrick's event is cancelled, however, I'm still shaving my head.

-Kurt​

They just postponed the marathon,.
Also The major theaters and Boston Garden have cancelled events

In New York, no venues that hold over 500 people are allowed to open, and those that hold 2-500 have to halve their capacity... So if it holds 2, only 1 is allowed. (But if it holds 4, you can have 2...)

I just went to an event at the local Repertory Theater... And the show closed with this one. Theater is planning on reopening next season, now.

The big Vaudeville House, Proctors Theater, has cancelled upcoming shows for at least a month - two shows I have tickets for and want to see, and one I have tickets for and don't care.

The local Light Opera Company was supposed to open "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" tomorrow, for a month. Cancelled.

I've already had one gig cancelled, now I'm trying to find out if the Farmer's Market is open Sunday - I'm scheduled to play. Edit 3/13/2020: Cancelled.

All three folk clubs have cancelled performances - one, because it is held in the Proctors complex, the other two because the performers can't get there due to travel restrictions.

I worry about the performers, with no income.
I worry about the venue workers - many "gypsies", with no income.
I worry about the food service workers with no income because the restaurants are empty.

And, as I work fir a school district, I'm worried about the kids, if we need to close. We're working on a plan for remote teaching... for around 10,000 students. That will be a huge emergency expenditure, to pay for the equipment, and the rest of the infrastructure changes.

I don't, on the other hand, care that parades or sporting events were cancelled.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
In New York, no venues that hold over 500 people are allowed to open, and those that hold 2-500 have to halve their capacity... So if it holds 2, only 1 is allowed. (But if it holds 4, you can have 2...)

I just went to an event at the local Repertory Theater... And the show closed with this one. Theater is planning on reopening next season, now.

The big Vaudeville House, Proctors Theater, has cancelled upcoming shows for at least a month - two shows I have tickets for and want to see, and one I have tickets for and don't care.

The local Light Opera Company was supposed to open "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" tomorrow, for a month. Cancelled.

I've already had one gig cancelled, now I'm trying to find out if the Farmer's Market is open Sunday - I'm scheduled to play.

All three folk clubs have cancelled performances - one, because it is held in the Proctors complex, the other two because the performers can't get there due to travel restrictions.

I worry about the performers, with no income.
I worry about the venue workers - many "gypsies", with no income.
I worry about the food service workers with no income because the restaurants are empty.

And, as I work fir a school district, I'm worried about the kids, if we need to close. We're working on a plan for remote teaching... for around 10,000 students. That will be a huge emergency expenditure, to pay for the equipment, and the rest of the infrastructure changes.

I don't, on the other hand, care that parades or sporting events were cancelled.

-Kurt]/indent]​

But many people work for the sports and community events too. From ushers, to food service, to security, to stores and ticket takers, to maintenance and grounds keepers, and many others. Loss of sports is no personal hardship to me, but I am concerned for everyone's livelihood.​

Top Bottom