Fear of Crowds

I had a presentation at a library today that got cancelled, same reason.

I experienced the same thing last week when I called to see about taking my uke to a memory care facility here in Springfield, Illinois. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the same "mode" this week as well. On the other hand, my girlfriend and her daughter, along with a friend of ours, played and sang yesterday at another nursing home here in town, and they were business-as-usual.

I experienced the same thing last week when I called to see about taking my uke to a memory care facility here in Springfield, Illinois. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the same "mode" this week as well. On the other hand, my girlfriend and her daughter, along with a friend of ours, played and sang yesterday at another nursing home here in town, and they were business-as-usual.

The residents in my place are almost all over 90, so we've cancelled the outside people coming in. I'd wanted to leave it for now especially with the local uke group coming in, but it was a Board decision.

I’m about five miles from where the first US COVID19 deaths occurred. The county is recommending avoiding public gatherings over 10 people. The big city sponsored rooms and events have closed, including our sing-and-play-along, and private locations—especially senior centers—are locking up. Local coffee shops and bars are starting to cancel their music nights and open mics. We’ve lost most of our normal venures, but we’re still having a few small group sessions in private homes. Most of the group is in high risk categories (mostly but not exclusively age), and risk control is on everyone’s mind. Wash often, skip handshakes, sanitize surfaces, sit a bit farther away, and last minute cancellations are absolutely, positively not a problem if you think you may be sick.

Our county health officer's recommendation: "All non-essential gatherings should be canceled, postponed, or done remotely. Unfortunately, at this time, I have no standard definition of “non-essential” or “gathering” to guide your decisions. Use your best judgment.”.

Our uke club meetups have been cancelled pending further notice.

Our county health officer's recommendation: "All non-essential gatherings should be canceled, postponed, or done remotely. Unfortunately, at this time, I have no standard definition of “non-essential” or “gathering” to guide your decisions. Use your best judgment.”.

Our uke club meetups have been cancelled pending further notice.

Very few gatherings are essential. I'm sorry to see that NY now has the most cases.

Big events coming up here near Boston are the annual St. Patricks Day Parade this weekend, and Boston Marathon in April. So far, neither has been cancelled. I have been getting unusual offers from movie theater chains, offering free food items if you come to see a movie. Also, I wouldn't want to in the cruise ship business right now. I hope this virus fades away soon.

Last edited:
Big events coming up here near Boston are the annual St. Patricks Day Parade this weekend, and Boston Marathon in April. So far, neither has been cancelled. I have been getting unusual offers from movie theater chains, offering free food items if you come to see a movie. Also, I wouldn't want to in the cruise ship business right now. I hope this virus fades away soon.

Mayor Walsh just cancelled the St. Patricks Day Parade! People are Not happy!!

Well, the people of Boston are not alone. From Yahoo:

"The Irish government on Monday cancelled this year's St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin and around the country on medical advice because of the coronavirus outbreak."

A few members of my seniors uke group will play and give away ukes for the kids in UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital every few weeks, Wednesday being our next session. This morning we asked the hospital if there's any concern about COVID-19 and they said as long as none of us have been out of the country or in a city with an outbreak, and we had our flu shot, we're on.

Our group meets twice a week out of the Culver City Senior Center and there have been no cancellations of any activities. The Los Angeles Marathon even took place yesterday.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Better unhappy than dead. I wonder what will happen with the Marathon. It's the same situation, but there's lots of money involved, and money usually takes precedence over health.

Medical Insurance.jpg

One of my favorite events of the year “Smoldering Uke” was postponed from this week until September.

A friend's husband here works at the local Target store. On Saturday, he was stocking shelves. He said they sold 40,000 units of hand sanitizer that day, all sizes. He'd stock the shelf full, come back in a bit, and it would be empty, he'd then restock. This went on all day, until they were totally sold out. People were buying it by the case.

Better unhappy than dead. I wonder what will happen with the Marathon. It's the same situation, but there's lots of money involved, and money usually takes precedence over health.

View attachment 125848

The Washington Post had an article about the 1918 flu, and how failure to cancel a parade in Philadelphia contributed to the deadly flu really taking a toll on the city. Seems reasonable to be cautious about things like parades, since they're not essential.

I don't know that money will take precedence right now in every instance. Lots of big conventions have cancelled, which will be big financial losses for many.
I've been hearing about concerts being cancelled as well.

Seems like a good time to be cautious, but we still need to live our lives, too.

We have tap dance rehearsal this evening, and a dance studio is prime territory for germs. I mean, hand rails, dirty floors, dirty door knobs, people's hands all over the walls. We are the last ones in there tonight and there has been dancers in there all day. Twenty kids have the studio right before we get it. I'm just trying not to think about it.

I was supposed to play as a Strolling Uke Player at a large (6-700 people) retirement party for the local Medical Center President's retirement on April 3. A nice, paying gig.

That has been indefinitely postponed.

I'm supposed to play a the local Farmer's Market on Sunday (Also a paying gig) - we'll see what happens.

And I'm supposed to get my head shaved for the St. Baldrick Foundation fundraiser on March 29 (9th year in a row). I've already collected $750, and turned it over; if the event is cancelled, I'm shaving my head myself.

(If anyone wants to make a donation, the link is here.

-Kurt​

The "before" shot is me, back in college in West Virginia, around 1976 or 77.)

With a 5-string banjo...

Last edited:
I was supposed to play as a Strolling Uke Player at a large (6-700 people) retirement party for the local Medical Center President's retirement on April 3. A nice, paying gig.

That has been indefinitely postponed.

I'm supposed to play a the local Farmer's Market on Sunday (Also a paying gig) - we'll see what happens.

And I'm supposed to get my head shaved for the St. Baldrick Foundation fundraiser on March 29 (9th year in a row). I've already collected $750, and turned it over; if the event is cancelled, I'm shaving my head myself.

(If anyone wants to make a donation, the link is here.

-Kurt​

The "before" shot is me, back in college in West Virginia, around 1976 or 77.

With a 5-string banjo...

Nature has been slowly shaving me head. :D

I, too, once had lots of hair.

JerMarathon2.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things I was looking forward to when I retire in a few weeks was continuing as a music volunteer at the children's hospital where I am a nurse. Just got notification yesterday that all volunteer services at all of the hospitals within the corporation are being temporarily suspended. Volunteers interact to a large degree with patients, families, and the public, and safety is a big concern. Unfortunate, but understandable. I'm bummed, but I'll be ready to jump back in when things are safe.

Top Bottom