Baritone Uke for under $1000-advice please

LarryL

Reaction score
I currently own an Opio concert uke, which I really like, but they dont make a baritone and would like to add a nice Baritone. I like the idea of the cutaway design. At this point it looks like a Pono is my best choice, but without playing one, I am not sure if I should pull the trigger on one...I do prefer thin necks, depth wise...the width of the neck isnt an issue. If anyone has a baritone that they are fond of , I would like to hear about your experiences. I have read about neck problems, quality control, clunker necks that make it hard to play chords, etc. Thanks in advance.

Well, you mentioned Pono already. Under $1000, that's probably the best, or at least one of the best, quality baritones you can get. The next step up from that would be something like a Kanile'a or Kamaka which are over a grand already. Ponos do have a somewhat chunky neck, however, but personally it doesn't bother me since the size of the uke is already so much larger anyway. I mostly play sopranos and I play a Pono baritone ok (well, as ok as you can with having to adjust to a larger scale and body size). The neck is very narrow for a baritone, around 35 millimeters.

Not a whole lot of manufacturers do baritone compared to the other smaller sizes. Of the more popular brands, Pono is remarkably good at that mid-tier range. A step down from that and you are already at that generic Kala/Ohana territory. You can of course try some smaller brands like Mainland or Bonanza. Barry from Got a Ukulele recently reviewed a Bonanza Homestead baritone which sounded absolutely fantastic. All of these are way under that $1000 limit.

I have to be honest with you. I bought a "factory second" from Mainland Ukuleles when I attended Ukulele World Congress last June. It has a cedar top and rosewood back and sides. It does have a flaw...a finish area on the soundboard, but it made an already affordable solid wood ukulele even less expensive.

I love it. I use it in all of my tutorials for baritone chords (see any one of my tutorial videos).

I know it's not a Pono or Kamaka, but you can get into a wonderful sounding, attractive, ukulele for a fraction of your budget. www.mainlandukes.com https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=70

I'd also ask you to consider Bonanza Ukuleles, as they make a lot of baritones as well, and every one of theirs...even the new "no frills" line...is actually a custom instrument. Also well below your $1000 budget. https://www.bonanzaukuleles.com/Default.asp

I have to go along with Choirguy here. My wife has a concert Mainland and I have a tenor. We have a third Mainland that we share which is a Mainland mango baritone. Come to Ukulele World Congress this summer in June near Nashville Indiana and check out Mainland Ukes. UWC is worth the trip.

Last edited:
This is the Pono baritone I got from HMS. The sound and resonance makes me happy every time I play it. I purchased this about 1 1/2-2 years ago. I play it everyday because I love it. It has some bulk to the neck but because it has a radiused fretboard, is narrow at the nut, and because the DGBE tuning has less tension than GCEA on a tenor, I find this ukulele to be easy to play. Easier to bar than a tenor in many cases. Also because of the tuning, the E chord is a piece of cake. The truss rod keeps that neck straight.

Listen to Corey’s sound sample. I was sold on this baritone when I saw the smile on his face in the last frame. I had never played a baritone before this. It’s just a great instrument. That being said, I didn’t like another Pono baritone I picked up because it had a flat fretboard and different woods. Just my preference.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-pc-series-spruce-mahogany-baritone-sunburst-mbsh-s-sb-pc.html

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has responded...I really appreciate your input and sharing your experiences ! I am still on the edge at this point...the chase is a lot of fun too !! I will be in Phoenix next month and I know of several shops there that I will go check out in person...I have a place in Mesa and will spend the month of April there...so lots of time and places to look and try out various brands. I also plan to attend several uke clubs there and perhaps someone will have a baritone that I can try out....Kala is another one I am considering since it has a cutaway and supposedly a thin neck. It was recommended to me by the uke site in Hawaii. Thanks again !

Thanks to everyone who has responded...I really appreciate your input and sharing your experiences ! I am still on the edge at this point...the chase is a lot of fun too !! I will be in Phoenix next month and I know of several shops there that I will go check out in person...I have a place in Mesa and will spend the month of April there...so lots of time and places to look and try out various brands. I also plan to attend several uke clubs there and perhaps someone will have a baritone that I can try out....Kala is another one I am considering since it has a cutaway and supposedly a thin neck. It was recommended to me by the uke site in Hawaii. Thanks again !

Yes, the chase is great fun. Sounds like you have a good plan. There is nothing like actually handling and playing an instrument. Good luck!

I've played this one. Is in pristine condition. A bit over a grand but does include prority shipping and may lower the price a bit. I know he paid more than 1500 for it without shipping.https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...-Custom-Inlay-s-Ivory-Bridge-Pins-T-I-strings

Vnitage Favillas and Gianninis are great buys also. Were called "Poor Man's Martins" back in the day. I preferred the Favillia I had over my vintage Martin.

Gianinni Baritones?

Wow!! I am doubly blessed to have two of them from when they were still made in South America. What is their current rating and value? One is stock, and the other has been converted to PEGHED tuners. I really do not need two of them.

One of the most outstanding baritones under $1,000 that I have played is an all walnut Cali Hand-crafted in California, USA by Luither Mike Pereira.

An old Favilla baritone is another great one under $500, if you can find one.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has responded.......Kala is another one I am considering since it has a cutaway and supposedly a thin neck. It was recommended to me by the uke site in Hawaii. Thanks again !

I've got a Kala baritone that I like very much, but the neck is quite chunky. I think this is one of the things you were trying to avoid. Of course, different Kala models may well have different necks. I love the sound of mine, and the build quality. The neck chunk is the only negative thing about it, for me. It's this one. https://kalabrand.com/collections/solid-cedar-top-acacia-ukulele/products/ka-abp-ctg

Top Bottom