Do you throw away your boxes?

Unfortunately, I have kept many of the boxes, and my garage is full of them. I plan to sell some ukes - someday, maybe - and I'll need boxes. I also cut up and burned boxes in my wood stove. I recently sold a uke for a friend, and I just walked out to the garage and picked an appropriate box. :)

Kept many to use when I sell a uke. Trashed about an equal number. Most of those were beat up from shipping or REALLY dirty from the truck. (I'm talking about you FedEx :p)

I pull out some of the packing materials, if it's in good shape, when I toss a box.

I can't duplicate the way Zach and his team at HMS pack ukes. Using odds and ends of cut up boxes and crumpled brown paper. I have taken pictures of the packing as I opened the boxes. Still can't completely replicate it.

Last edited:
I have one ukulele shipping box that I'm keeping in case I want to sell one. I also collect fountain pens, and many of them come if very fancy presentation cases. Since I end up selling many of my pens as I upgrade my collection, I do keep the boxes around for resales. I also keep boxes for small electronics and camera equipment as they eventually get resold and shippped.

I just talked my wife into getting rid of some shipping boxes for large electronic items (computers, printers, monitors, etc.) since these are seldom resold, and even if they were, it would probably a local sale. I did have to promise her that if she ever needed to ship a 8-year-old monitor or a 10-year-old laser printer, I would pay to have it professionally packaged. I'm pretty sure I'll never need to pay out for that promise. :D

If it’s a good shipping box, I’ll keep it in case I sell one and ship it. Having said that, my stack o’ uke boxes is gettin a bit out of hand.

I have one ukulele shipping box that I'm keeping in case I want to sell one. I also collect fountain pens, and many of them come if very fancy presentation cases. Since I end up selling many of my pens as I upgrade my collection, I do keep the boxes around for resales. I also keep boxes for small electronics and camera equipment as they eventually get resold and shippped.
I use fountain pens, but I don't "collect" them per se. I have three and I use them. But I also give them to people for presents. I noticed when I was in my file cabinet today that I have the boxes for my three, and some how I have three more that my kids left behind this Christmas when they took their present's home an I must have put them in the file cabinet, just in case. And of course, each pen seems to have to come with one fancy box inside of an even more fancy box.

I use fountain pens, but I don't "collect" them per se. I have three and I use them. But I also give them to people for presents. I noticed when I was in my file cabinet today that I have the boxes for my three, and some how I have three more that my kids left behind this Christmas when they took their present's home an I must have put them in the file cabinet, just in case. And of course, each pen seems to have to come with one fancy box inside of an even more fancy box.
It seems to be a "thing" with fountain pen makers to see how elaborate and fancy they can package their products. Personally, I'd be happy if they just shipped them in a simple box with enough padding to protect them from damage. They're basically writing tools (at least the ones I buy) and they don't need to be packaged like they're the crown jewels.

My ukulele boxes, once I have determined I'm keeping the uke, go to Donna LoPrinzi's shop for re-use.
All my other boxes, the cats get them to play with, and when they tire of that, into the recycle bin go they.

USPS just delivered a nicely packed uke this afternoon. The boxes are to nice to trash. I realize that keeping them may be my first step toward becoming a hoarder....

I've often thought about offering them to people who want to sell ukes, but the shipping cost would be too high to make it worthwhile.

I save all instrument boxes for anything that I might need to sell out of my local area. That would be anything more expensive and therefore possibly a more limited local market. Those spare boxes have come in very handy. Inexpensive instruments would be sold only locally as shipping costs can be too much to make shipping a viable option.
I don’t save boxes from random appliances, electronics and the like when they have very little resale potential. I know that kind of stuff is just yard sale or CL merchandise.

I flatten the ones I am getting rid of. Along with a bunch of other large boxes. Then once or twice a year I take them to our trash hauler's yard where they bundle them and sell the cardboard for recycling.

I didn't until ten minutes ago. I was gathering up all the trash today and I decided to get rid of old boxes. I have boxes for all kinds of stuff. As I was digging through them and fighting to convince myself to keep half of them, I came across boxes for my four ukuleles that I still have and the three Watermans that I gave away. By the time I got to them I was on a roll and everything was going. Out they went with the rest of the boxes. I'll let you know if I regret throwing them away some day. Right now I feel like I freed up a lot of room.

NO! I recycle them!

I'll eventually get rid of most of the uke boxes - many of them come double-boxed. One type of box I save is from cameras and camera equipment. It seems that people like buying them with the original boxes. I have a box full of boxes in the garage.

I didn't until ten minutes ago. I was gathering up all the trash today and I decided to get rid of old boxes. I have boxes for all kinds of stuff. As I was digging through them and fighting to convince myself to keep half of them, I came across boxes for my four ukuleles that I still have and the three Watermans that I gave away. By the time I got to them I was on a roll and everything was going. Out they went with the rest of the boxes. I'll let you know if I regret throwing them away some day. Right now I feel like I freed up a lot of room.

Cardboard boxes are a great layer for mulching, decreasing weeds more than just commercial mulch alone.

Top Bottom