Do you throw away your boxes?

Rllink

Reaction score
I didn't until ten minutes ago. I was gathering up all the trash today and I decided to get rid of old boxes. I have boxes for all kinds of stuff. As I was digging through them and fighting to convince myself to keep half of them, I came across boxes for my four ukuleles that I still have and the three Watermans that I gave away. By the time I got to them I was on a roll and everything was going. Out they went with the rest of the boxes. I'll let you know if I regret throwing them away some day. Right now I feel like I freed up a lot of room.

I throw away most of them. I've been holding on to a couple of ukulele boxes in the event that i actually sell something; and I hold on to electronics boxes (e.g. Apple devices) until I sell them or trade them in. Otherwise...the boxes all go.

I’ll keep mine if the cardboard is fairly thick haha. For a while I’ve been keeping some boxes from amazon/goodfood so I can use them for other craft projects :)

Throw away instrument (guitar and uke) boxes? Never!

I just threw away my big, Blueridge Guitar box today. I was keeping it in case I wanted to send the guitar back or somethin’ and just forgot about it. I’ll probably need it next week.

I keep stuff in ‘em like unused gig bags or straps or like that but throw the empty ones away. I’m in the throes of cleaning my garage, so some stuff is finally goin’ in the trash.

The guitar box was threeply, heavy cardboard. I had to force myself to throw it away. :eek:ld:

I keep boxes for the ukes that I might consider selling in the future. In the past months, I sold two and it was pain-free to reuse the shipping boxes that they came in (not as pain-free to sell them...). They fit well and were well cushioned.

Boxes for ukes that I will keep (either really nice ones or really cheap ones) or give away are recycled.

I’ll keep mine if the cardboard is fairly thick haha. For a while I’ve been keeping some boxes from amazon/goodfood so I can use them for other craft projects :)

The clever and crafty could make a uke case from the box it came in.

If the link doesn't work ... I searched 'how to make a ukulele case out of a ukulele box'
https://wizzley.com/diy-ukulele-case/

I kept two uke boxes that came with new ukes thinking I might sell them someday. Also the same with cell phone boxes. It helps show I'm the original purchaser.

Ukulele boxes don't enhance value of an instrument but camera gear heads seem to like boxes. I was able to sell a few Canon camera and lens boxes for $25... Oddly, none of my ukuleles or guitars were sold with product logo boxes. They came with a case inside a plain brown shipping box. Even my Kala Elites—bought directly from Kala—shipped in a case inside a plain shipping box.

Last edited:
The clever and crafty could make a uke case from the box it came in.

If the link doesn't work ... I searched 'how to make a ukulele case out of a ukulele box'
https://wizzley.com/diy-ukulele-case/
Ahhh I did literally the same thing with a bunch of printer paper boxes from my dad’s office, mod podge and fabric! Except it was for a small shelf to hold yarn haha

I'm a box hoarder. I have the boxes from more ukes than I currently own - I sold / gave away a couple but still have the boxes. The Outdoor uke box is hella cool. The rest: may if I need to ship something? That seems unlikely given the range my ukes are in. The boxes are all nested together up on a shelf out of the way, out of sight, and out of mind.

Outside of ukes I tend to keep boxes for electronics that may need a warranty return or repair. I got bit once by a repair that ended up much to expensive because I didn't have the box to send it back.

I'm not good at culling the cache once the warranty (or the item) is gone: until last summer I still had the boxes from my TiVo series 1s (from about 20 years ago and replaced by newer versions several times).

On the bright side, I have the boxes for all of my sSLR lenses. As gochugogi says, that should make them easier to sell.

"I might need that for something." It is so hard sometimes to get rid of things. I have been really really forcing myself this winter to get rid of the junk in my life and not use that as my excuse. Realistically I have one ukulele that is worth enough that it would even be worth going to the trouble to sell it. The other three combined are not worth half what my good one is worth, and I'm not going to get rid of my best uke. But there was the box for my first ukulele, a $65 Makala, and the box that box came in, sitting in the way for almost six years. And all the rest of them stacked on top. Anyway, I really feel like I'm living on the edge. A rebel without a cause, throwing those boxes away with no consideration for the future.

Last edited:
The Outdoor uke box is hella cool.

A lot of people may not know that Outdoor had a local artist illustrate their boxes a couple of years ago. It's a fantastic idea, and also gave some work and recognition to a local artist. I know they aren't perfect, but there's a lot to like there.

I just received a box with a ukulele that I'm reviewing (Vangoa), and it came with a box with Aaron Kuehn's Ukulele Typogram on it (A few years ago, I tried selling the pattern...with permission...as a fundraiser for my school ukulele program...and no one wanted them). I thought that was pretty cool."

That box has already been recycled.

A lot of people may not know that Outdoor had a local artist illustrate their boxes a couple of years ago.
Outdoor sells stickers with her artwork. They're very cute drawings of hikers and animals with ukes and banjos and such. Well worth a spot on a hard-case!

All my uke boxes are up in the loft, just in case I ever need them again, (hasn't happened so far, but you never know....). ;)

I also have the boxes some of my small monitors came in, but they are repurposed into holding various computer bits & accessories.

Otherwise, we pass them on to people who are moving house. :)

Top Bottom