Worth Brown Strings

Puglele

Reaction score
After hearing so many good reviews here, I purchased
not one, but three sets of WB BM strings , because there are postage costs might as well stock up.
I’m surprise how much I don’t like them. I have tried them on Ohana mahogany concert, Famous/Kiwaya laminate soprano, KoAloha opio soprano, Pono gloss Mahogany concert, etc. The only uke that’s working out is Ohana sopranino.
I think the strings make all of the ukuleles sound the same, but it’s not the good type. The sound was one dimensional, a little muted, and it takes away the uniqueness of different ukes. One good trait I can say is the sound become very balanced.

I have not seen people disliking WB yet so what have I missed out?

(btw I like Martin 600 and living water the most so far)

In following threads, I figured that the BM were to do exactly like you described. I have just put my first set on a soprano that was "too bright" and it gave me a mellower sound. All the other sets on both concerts and sopranos, I chose Worth CM or Living Waters and a Fremont Blackline as I usually like the brightness that they bring.

I think it has a lot to do with your preferences, as well as the wood. I have a spruce top KoAloha Opio that I bought with Worth Browns, and I think that if it had fluorocarbons on it, it would shatter every window in the house. By far that's my loudest ukulele. So the browns mellow it out.

I'm still going to try it someday...

But, it sounds as if you are a lot like me, and that you like fluorocarbons. I like the bright, clear sound they tend to produce on almost all ukuleles, and in my opinion, they really save some laminate ukuleles from being too dark.

My main strings are Martin M600 and M620 (depending on ukulele size), but I also like Living Waters, Worth Clears, and Oasis strings. I have even played on Seaguar Blue fishing line.

I also like the Aquila Sugar strings (but it sounds like Mimmo continues to play with the formula).

The Worth Browns are fluorocarbon, but they are more than that. They have a texture in addition to a mellower sound (in my opinion).

If I were you, I'd ask if anyone had unopened Worth Clears that they would swap with you...it might just cost some postage.

I don't know that you missed anything. I like them one only one of my ukes, while other ukes in the house have M600s and Aquilas. Once I have a string set that I like, I don't experiment anymore. Maybe other people that like them also like them on 1 or 2 instruments.

I placed Worth Brown on my Spruce Top Kala Tenor. It gave it a warm, mellow sound that I prefer over the bright, loud, almost ‘tinny’ sound that it had.

BTW, once upon a time I was a Beverage Development Technologist.
There is a difference between California and Florida orange juice.
One is deeper, Fuller, ‘juicier’, the other, brighter, sharper.

Which is better depends on one’s preference.

And since it has been more than three decades, I don’t remember which is which.

You always want to match the right string to your instrument and, yep, it's mostly trial and error until you hit on the right combination. I just removed a set of Worth Browns from my Kala Elite Koa Limited tenor—basically they sucked: thick under the fingers and dull and lifeless sounding. They're Kala's recommended strings too! Seaguar Pink really sings on it with a D'Addario composite wound low-G. Oddly, I like the Worth Browns as treble strings on my Romero Creations Parlor guitar...

I use Worth Browns on all of my instruments. I just like the sound on my various ukes, and therefore stick with what I know pleases me.

Is there a difference between Worth browns and Worth clears other than color? Is it that browns are warm and clears are bright?

I use Worth clears on a Kamaka, Ko’olau CE-1 and Fluke tenors. I use Worth Browns on a Kamaka 8 string tenor. The clears were too tinny sounding on the 8 string.
Worth’s take about a week before they will stay in tune for me.

I agree with Choirguy. I have Worth Browns (+ a Fremont soloist Low G) on only one uke, my Kala spruce-top tri-back tenor.

I favor clear fluoros on most of my other ukes, but every set I tried on the spruce top made it overly bright (almost brash). Enter the Worth Browns... love them on that uke. They balance well with the Fremont Soloist wound Low G.

Matching strings to an instrument is a journey. Your playing style and ear can make a big difference.
I put Worth Browns on my Clara and immediately loved the new voice. I used Orcas for years, but on my all KOA tenor they sound dead. I put clear Flouro-carbons on and the voice sparkled again. I am still using Orcas on the Farallon, they soften the voice and bring out more depth. When I run out of Orcas I will try Worth Browns on the Farallon.

I have used Worth Browns on all the rescued Martins, I find it produces a nice sound while preserving the Martin punch in the treble range. I intend to restock soon to string up the last of the Martin rescues and have spare for my keepers.

Well, at least the Worth website describes the strings differently. I haven't tried Worth Browns on any of my sopranos yet but I assume the tone will be mellower than the Clears. I have tried Worth Browns on my baritone but I haven't compared that with the Clears. And let's be honest, the tone of the baritone is so deep already that I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Well, at least the Worth website describes the strings differently. I haven't tried Worth Browns on any of my sopranos yet but I assume the tone will be mellower than the Clears. I have tried Worth Browns on my baritone but I haven't compared that with the Clears. And let's be honest, the tone of the baritone is so deep already that I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

I had one of those cheap as is Baritone ukuleles that were sold a couple years ago. Once I put on a set of Worth Browns, it sounded fantastic.

Last edited:
I have Worth Browns on two of my tenors. Both High-G.

Cocobolo ships their instruments now with Worth Browns. The are nice strings. I think they are warmer than the clears. I don't particularly like Worth Clears.

I tried both Browns and Clear Low-Gs on my Martin 1T IZ and hated them. Then my "go-to" strings Living Waters Low-Gs. No sparkle at all. I have Fremont BlackLine Low-Gs on it now and they sound pretty good. I'll change them to Martin Fluoros eventually to see how they sound.

I don't like wound strings at all. They always seem to overpower the other strings and have a "Whang! Whang!" kind of sound that I don't like at all.

I have high-g Browns on a Cocobolo and a Pono mango tenors. (I liked reinforcing the warmth of the mango on the Pono.)

It all boils down to personal taste.

Worth brown on my National Resonator Triolean, Cocobolo concert, Moku Soprano,Ohana concerts (eucalyptus and spruce top Art Deco); Worth clear on Sceptre, Donaldson Custom concert, Aquila Red on Kala, Aquila Nyglut on almost everything else - Fremont Black on Donaldson Soprano. And whatever the Banjo Ukes shipped with. (Firefly is about due for a change... not sure if I want to keep a wound C or not...)

I guess that -except for the Vita Ukes, all the concert bodies have Worth, one soprano has Worth strings, one has Aquila, all the Tenor ukes have Aquila.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between Worth browns and Worth clears other than color? Is it that browns are warm and clears are bright?

They're quite different. The Browns are pretty mellow - I'd very loosely put them in the same category as Aquila Reds and Fremont Blacks, but that's a broad generalization, they're all different. The Clears are similar to Martin M600s, but there are a lot of choices with the Clears, fat, hard, etc.

Well, according to Worth's own website then, they offer several different tensions for both Browns and Clears. I was under the impression that the tension is the same for the same type of string, be it Brown or Clear. I suppose there can be a difference in tension between, for example, BMs and CMs, but claiming unequivocally that Browns are low tension and Clears are high tension is quite the generalisation, I think.

In following threads, I figured that the BM were to do exactly like you described. I have just put my first set on a soprano that was "too bright" and it gave me a mellower sound. All the other sets on both concerts and sopranos, I chose Worth CM or Living Waters and a Fremont Blackline as I usually like the brightness that they bring.

:agree: I only use them to mellow out the sound, like on my banjolele. I also like Martin and Living Water on some other ukes.

Top Bottom