Headstock / Tuners for custom 8 string tenor?

mwilson

Reaction score
New to ukulele. Have a cheap slotted head 8 string. Looking to have one made and deciding on headstock and tuners style below. Opinions appreciated. Leaning B or C but I don't know pros and cons of each style
Thanks!

headstocks.jpg

I am not fond of tuners that stick out to the side because they do not fit in some hardshell cases. I am also not thrilled with the gear ratio of 10:1 or 12:1 to tune or string up or put in tune. I do not like the additional weight of that much metal on the end of the head. But, without knowing the width of the two outer edges, there may be no other option (such as the internally geared 4:1 PEGHEDS)
Do you have one of the hand cranks for fitting over the button and making tuning easier? That seems to be the only option you have to make tuning, easier, faster, and far less expensive than going to PEGHEDS. **** Completly different....If you have a strap for it, have the top attachment point be at the neck where it attaches to the body rather than way out on the tuner end. It allows you to move the body away from your body to get the sound from the back as well as the front, and makes playing up the neck much easier.

Thx TCC. Just realized the picture was wrong. Ex 3 should have been peghed tuners.

So slotted head w/ peghed tuners or paddle head with peghed tuners? I find tuning with peghed comfortable compared to guitar type tuner pegs that stick out the side

So do I and that is one of the reasons why I am a PEGHED distributor for guitars, banjos, ukuleles, mandolins and violins. I was not trying to fish for a sale. I am glad you already know of their merits.

Top Bottom