Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knots & slots -- argh!

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I like slot head but it is a chore to change strings. I just bought a bamboo uke that needed some design improvements, it has nice looking black and gold tuning machine, but the fret markers were white, as was the nut and saddle, the strap button chrome and the strings plain nylon. I knew when I first looked at it that the strings will be black, and I was going to add black beads to the end of the strings so I don't have to fight tying at the bridge. I also changed the strap button to black with a gold screw to match the tuners, and use black stick-on fret markers, plus change the nut and saddle to black. Looks real nice now.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    I still haven't put the fret dots, nut, saddle, and black beads on my bamboo - maybe today.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Default Slotted Bridges

I dislike slotted bridges because the knot sometimes pulls through. Then I have to try to tie a larger knot. I got a bag of several hundred plastic beads, so I'll use them next time.

I'm mostly with Yuni here.

I like the look of a slotted headstock, but I'm not a fan of changing strings on one. I don't have this reservation for a solid headstock with geared tuners.

When it comes to the bridge I prefer slotted bridges because they are very simple and fast to change strings and they look very clean and tidy.
    I don't mind tie bridges, but I hate to see all of the strings cut off individually and / or the ends sticking up so that they hurt your arm. For me they have to be tied in, starting with the 4th being tied in with the 3rd, then both 3rd and 4th tied in with the 2nd, and finally 4th, 3rd and 2nd being tied in with the 1st string before being cut the same length (or the other way around if you play a left-handed uke).
    I like pin bridges the least. The pins can get stuck, then you can lose them, they may not be fastened deep enough, your knot might not be big or small enough, beads or string ends might cause a buzz etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bean View Post
    I'm mostly with Yuni here.

I like the look of a slotted headstock, but I'm not a fan of changing strings on one. I don't have this reservation for a solid headstock with geared tuners.

When it comes to the bridge I prefer slotted bridges because they are very simple and fast to change strings and they look very clean and tidy.
    I don't mind tie bridges, but I hate to see all of the strings cut off individually and / or the ends sticking up so that they hurt your arm. For me they have to be tied in, starting with the 4th being tied in with the 3rd, then both 3rd and 4th tied in with the 2nd, and finally 4th, 3rd and 2nd being tied in with the 1st string before being cut the same length (or the other way around if you play a left-handed uke).
    I like pin bridges the least. The pins can get stuck, then you can lose them, they may not be fastened deep enough, your knot might not be big or small enough, beads or string ends might cause a buzz etc.
    I like the way new ukes often come with the ends of the strings neatly held down under each other. I've done that a couple of times, but it takes some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I dislike slotted bridges because the knot sometimes pulls through. Then I have to try to tie a larger knot. I got a bag of several hundred plastic beads, so I'll use them next time.
    To be honest, this can be an issue sometimes with slotted bridges. The slot for the first string on my vintage Martin was so worn out I had to do a double knot for the string end.

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Great idea. Where did you get the black beads? That's a nice looking bamboo uke and your fixings look splendid. By the way, what is that black material that is used for the nut & saddle?
    Thanks very much, the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I got the beads at my local Joann craft shop, and I know Michael's has them too. The Nut and bridge are ebony.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 03-11-2020 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Thanks very much, the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I got the beads at my local Joann craft shop, and I know Michael's has them too. The Nut and bridge are ebony.
    What size are the beads? 4mm? 6mm?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Speaking of terminating strings at the bridge; the 8 hole bridges have to be the current bomb-diggity, imo.
    No knots, just looped around and under the first loop, done.
    Plus, the string hangs off the saddle perfectly, win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    Speaking of terminating strings at the bridge; the 8 hole bridges have to be the current bomb-diggity, imo.
    No knots, just looped around and under the first loop, done.
    Plus, the string hangs off the saddle perfectly, win-win!
    Picture?...................
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    plus love of Fender-type heads -- am I the only one? If not, why not?
    You're with 4 of 90. Add 12 more for those that like both (or have no preference).

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ided+headstock

Thread Information