Live YouTube

I may try this for our uke group. I logged into my Google account and went through the initial steps to enable live streaming. It may take up to 24 hours before it's enabled and I can try to stream.

After you log into YouTube, select "Live" from the menu on the left. That will take you to pages that explain how to set it up.

Canceling weekly uke gatherings is a distinct possibility. Do any of you know how to go about doing a live YouTube broadcast? Our leader could go online, and we could play along with him.
There is a free version of an app called Microsoft Teams that might be something your group could use. It's been around a couple of years.

I was not able to make YouTube work due to the age of my computer--the camera and mic won't work with a web browser. We had our jam today via Zoom (a video conferencing platform), with a dozen or so participants. The major limitation is the delay in transmission of audio and video, which varies with each participant. As a result, only one person (the song leader) can have an active mic, so it's essentially a live stream. Everyone had a good time and we're planning to do it again.

I was not able to make YouTube work due to the age of my computer--the camera and mic won't work with a web browser. We had our jam today via Zoom (a video conferencing platform), with a dozen or so participants. The major limitation is the delay in transmission of audio and video, which varies with each participant. As a result, only one person (the song leader) can have an active mic, so it's essentially a live stream. Everyone had a good time and we're planning to do it again.

That's interesting. A group of about 12 of us tried a Zoom jam Sunday evening, but even when everyone but the song leader muted their mike and stopped their video feed we still had the audio cutting in and out. We were wondering if the low bandwidth of the meeting host might have had something to do with it, and based on your positive experience it sounds as if we ought to give it another try.

That's interesting. A group of about 12 of us tried a Zoom jam Sunday evening, but even when everyone but the song leader muted their mike and stopped their video feed we still had the audio cutting in and out. We were wondering if the low bandwidth of the meeting host might have had something to do with it, and based on your positive experience it sounds as if we ought to give it another try.

How would video feeds work for a dozen people? What's displayed on the monitors? I would like to see one leader, and that's all.

How would video feeds work for a dozen people? What's displayed on the monitors? I would like to see one leader, and that's all.

Well I'm not a Zoom expert, but during our short experiment we found that you could configure your Zoom window to display the person speaking in a center window with smaller thumbnails of each participant across the top, or to have the entire window be a grid of thumbnails of all the participants. In our group we mostly have song sheets on our tablets or computers, so folks were in a bind being able to use their tablets for the conference and see the music at the same time. We had intended to go around the group as usual having each person choose and lead a song, BUT I have to admit that while I don't mind singing in a group, the thought of having everyone listen to just my voice when it would be my turn is a bit daunting.

Well I'm not a Zoom expert, but during our short experiment we found that you could configure your Zoom window to display the person speaking in a center window with smaller thumbnails of each participant across the top, or to have the entire window be a grid of thumbnails of all the participants. In our group we mostly have song sheets on our tablets or computers, so folks were in a bind being able to use their tablets for the conference and see the music at the same time. We had intended to go around the group as usual having each person choose and lead a song, BUT I have to admit that while I don't mind singing in a group, the thought of having everyone listen to just my voice when it would be my turn is a bit daunting.

Thanks. Good to know.

Another Zoom non-expert here. I used it for the first time last night to replace our cancelled classes at school. It worked fine but there was a slight delay for some participants depending on their internet (I guess). As Besley said, each person can configure their view of the group as they wish - from a single window to a "Brady Bunch" type grid.

As for the singing issue, you can mute you microphone so that nobody in the group can hear you. Then you can sing like you would in your car or shower! :)

Bill

Top Bottom