Playing melody line

Simcha

Reaction score
Any advice re. playing melody line? Pick vs. thumb. vs. multiple fingers?

Welcome to UU, Simcha!

There are many techniques available to play a melody line, chord melody or mixed styles with some strumming thrown in as well. Youtube is a treasure trove with many good tutors. You could check out Matt Dahlberg or Ukulele Cheats for song tutorials. I also recommend Wilfried Welti's website:
https://www.ukulele-arts.com/?lang=en

I am used to flat pick technique, so that’s what I like and recommend. If I were picking something slow, I could just use my thumb. But, if I were trying to pick something faster like a more embellished fiddle tune, I want to be able to pick the faster notes alternating down and up strokes for speed. So, I’d either flat pick or alternate thumb down and pointer up. Thumb alone only gives you down strokes and will slow you down.

Forgot to mention that I am interested in playing melody line on Baritone ukulele.

There’s no wrong choice here, Simcha. Some people start with the thumb and stay there, occasionally using a pick. Some always use a pick. Some graduate to multiple fingers. Others start with multiple fingers. It doesn’t really matter which method you use, as long as the end result is to your liking. I suggest you give each of them a try, and see which ones suits you best.

Jan

I once received some really great advice: never let your philosophy get in the way of results. Once you align yourself with an ideology (e.g., "I am a thumb-picker"), then you close your mind and rationalize your viewpoint. It is better to think of your goal and choose appropriate tools to achieve that goal.

Here's how I implemented that. First of all you need a base from which to operate; you need to find a style that works for you initially. For me it was using my index and middle finger in the picado style of flamenco tradition. I became comfortable with it and I still use it 90% of the time. However, I kept an open mind and when my style didn't fit my needs I incorporated other ideas. For instance, I started to use my thumb more for Travis picking or for getting a drone on the bass string.

I think it is important to establish a technique that works for you. Maybe it is thumb, maybe it is PIMA, maybe it is something else. Regardless invest yourself in whatever system works for you. Then be amenable to adapting your style when something else pops up. If, on the other hand, you try to find the perfect finger style, you will fail. It will be too hard and you will be discouraged. It is much better to take it step by step.

Coincidentally, I was just watching a video that illustrates this point. I was watching Jared James Nichols, a guitar player who doesn't use a plectrum of any sort. He used his thumb, he used his fingers. He basically uses whatever it takes to make the sound he wants. And that's my goal

Last edited:
No right or wrong so far as I can tell! Do what is comfortable for you, and nothing else means a thing really. I use thumb and all of my different fingers on different tunes, it just comes down to what you find easiest to do, and which digit(s) you choose!

Top Bottom