Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: Priorities!

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I just heard on the radio that they are trying out a vaccine for the Corona Disease today,
    The "trying out" is not to see if it is effective against the virus. They are going to give 45 volunteers differing doses to see how they react to the amount given without seeing if it does anything against the virus. That will likely take a while and hope that it goes well so they could proceed with the next step. Still a long way to go.

    BTW, six Bay Area counties, including San Francisco, have just announce a "shelter in place" with details being given right this minute.
    Last edited by rainbow21; 03-16-2020 at 11:10 AM.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    989

    Default

    I am not sure I have hoarded enough ukuleles to get through the covid 19 lockdown... I should probably buy some more.

    In Denmark people started hoarding yeast for baking.
    People who hoard yeast are obviously people who dont usually bake. If they did, they would know how little yeast it takes. One or two packets would last as long as the expiration date or longer with extansive baking.

    Fortunately food supply here is no problem, and the supermarkeds are allready stocked again after last weeks hoarding.

    I have a desk job I can do from home, so my livelyhood os not threatened. But I dont get extra ukulele time either, except from due to cancelled social events.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

  3. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Yeah, with all these shortages, pretty soon we'll be using our vodka as a disinfectant.
    I suggest that you acquire Everclear if you intend to use a drinkable alcohol as disinfectant. Most vodka is only 40% alcohol. You'll want something 60%+.

    I strongly, strongly discourage pouring alcohol into your ukulele... though maybe if it's a Waterman, you should just send us all the picture.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Palm Beach County FL
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Hilarious! Running outta wine is a serious problem! But . . . let a smile be your umbrella.
    Better look up a recipe for raisin jack

  5. #85
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    I have been tracking back to find out what an MRE is and whether I should have stocked up on them. Please enlighten me, someone!
    MRE's as said Meals Ready to Eat. I've used them for wilderness and backcountry adventures. Plenty enough calories to keep yea going. Long shelf life. Don't need water to eat them. Drink mix and coffee will need water. Spoons are great reusable items. If you don't have them with you now it might be too late to get some. You could try to order on line. Mountain House has plenty of survival food options as well. Likely has been a run on their products. Outdoor stores will have several options of camping/backpacking meals. Usually need water. Lots of salt if that is an issue for you. I see you are in France. Word is the French made MRE's are at the top for taste and quality. I'm sure you'd be better off buying from you local boulangerie and fresh food market. Keep your wine stock up to date as well.........trying times for us all........play a little music to lighten your soul and those of your neighbors if you might.........keeping that social distance thing going as well....

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,559

    Default

    One of my doctors’ office called and asked me to voluntarily change my tomorrow’s appointment, which I did. Then I called another and changed it too. So I don’t hafta go out tomorrow.

    Soooo, more Irish banjo exercises tomorrow, and, mebbe a bit of warblin’ with my tenor guitar. Slainte!
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 03-16-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

    Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Half-way up a hill in Southwest France
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Thank you Down Up Dick and mjh42 for enlightening me! I don't think, in that case, that I have ever knowingly crossed paths with an "MRE" ... I do, however, have tins/cans in store now of useful things like cassoulet, choucroute and risotto; this IS France, after all! We are now in total lockdown, but are still allowed out to go food shopping and go to the pharmacy, but apparently any other sorties will be hit with a 135 Euro fine and police are being rolled out to enforce the curphew. Strange times! Stay safe, everybody!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

    "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Half-way up a hill in Southwest France
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    I am not sure I have hoarded enough ukuleles to get through the covid 19 lockdown... I should probably buy some more.

    In Denmark people started hoarding yeast for baking.
    People who hoard yeast are obviously people who dont usually bake. If they did, they would know how little yeast it takes. One or two packets would last as long as the expiration date or longer with extansive baking.

    Fortunately food supply here is no problem, and the supermarkeds are allready stocked again after last weeks hoarding.

    I have a desk job I can do from home, so my livelyhood os not threatened. But I dont get extra ukulele time either, except from due to cancelled social events.
    Ah, useful advice, Mikkel! It has suddenly occurred to me that one of the first things we are likely to run out of is bread and for that reason I am intending (if possible!) to get some bread flour and yeast - now I know I don't need too much of it! One thing I am definitely not going to run out of is ukuleles ... I think they could be rather indigestible, though!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

    "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Thank you Down Up Dick and mjh42 for enlightening me! I don't think, in that case, that I have ever knowingly crossed paths with an "MRE" ... I do, however, have tins/cans in store now of useful things like cassoulet, choucroute and risotto; this IS France, after all! We are now in total lockdown, but are still allowed out to go food shopping and go to the pharmacy, but apparently any other sorties will be hit with a 135 Euro fine and police are being rolled out to enforce the curphew. Strange times! Stay safe, everybody!
    The French MREs I've seen (and I've never had the opportunity to actually eat) have included tins of things like cassoulet, duck confit, and other similar dishes would be very gourmet to our canned goods in the States. Based on the description of what you have in your pantry, I would say that you are not missing out at all.

    Stay healthy and indoors, everyone! Play your ukuleles!
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    Ah, useful advice, Mikkel! It has suddenly occurred to me that one of the first things we are likely to run out of is bread and for that reason I am intending (if possible!) to get some bread flour and yeast - now I know I don't need too much of it! One thing I am definitely not going to run out of is ukuleles ... I think they could be rather indigestible, though!
    In Denmark "fresh" yeast i sold in 50g (ca 1.5oz) packages. Bread flour is often sold with a recipe to use a whole package of yeast for a batch of Bread and let it rise for 30 minutes. The common recipy among people who bake regularly is to use just a quarter of a package and let it rise overnight in the fridge.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •