Priorities!

I'm not worried about it, I didn't rake my leaves last fall. Seriously, it is crazy. Sometimes I wipe down my ukulele with a soft paper towel and then throw it away. Yesterday I folded my paper towel up and saved it. I don't know why, I just felt like I should conserve them. Funny what the fear of the unknown does to people. Anyway, I heard a piece on the radio yesterday that said when people feel like they don't have control over something that has a negative effect their lives they stockpile, because it is something that they do have control over. They don't feel so helpless. So essentially, you don't have control over the spread of the corona virus, but you still have control of wiping your rear end. Interesting concept.

Last edited:
Yes many places are wiped-out.......:)

I saw a picture of some guy drivin’ with the whole bed of his pickup filled with TP. I guess HE knows where to buy it.

I hope his toilet clogs up. :eek:ld:

Or he plans to sell it, in which case I hope he gets stuck with it.

I'm wondering if this whole thing isn't going to be like the Y2K fiasco where the media was whipping up everyone into a frenzy and then nothing happened. I mean, come on, it is the flu! Yes, some people will pass away...just like they do every year. So do wash your hands and avoid other people's bodily fluids, but there is no need to horde TP and bottled water as if we were standing on the periphery of the zombie apocalypse.

I'm wondering if this whole thing isn't going to be like the Y2K fiasco where the media was whipping up everyone into a frenzy and then nothing happened. I mean, come on, it is the flu! Yes, some people will pass away...just like they do every year. So do wash your hands and avoid other people's bodily fluids, but there is no need to horde TP and bottled water as if we were standing on the periphery of the zombie apocalypse.

You’re spot on, Ripock. I couldn’t agree more. But do you realize that many of our members weren’t even born yet on Y2K. :eek:ld:

Don't flush the paper towels, they can clog up the sewer pipes. Keep those little plastic Wal-Mart bags handy!! Ya learn stuff on these forums..

This seems to be more contagious that the "regular" flu, and more serious if infected.
"About four in ten adults (41%) ages 18 and older in the U.S. (105.5 million people) have a higher risk of developing serious illness if they are infected with coronavirus, due to their older age (60 and older) or health condition"
https://www.kff.org/global-health-p...serious-illness-if-infected-with-coronavirus/

I haven't had a chance to get to the store for more than a week, and people at work today told me not to bother, and showed me photos of their trips there last night. Totally empty shelves. Someone ran home and brought me a dozen eggs, so my mom and I can at least have that. When I went by the grocery store on my way home, there was literally a line of cars waiting to get into the parking lot, and the parking lot looked completely full. I can't say that I understand that, but I was grateful for the eggs that were given to me, and didn't stop at the store.

I do have a good stockpile of dog food, though, so the dogs are unconcerned about the empty store shelves.

Maybe there really will be a zombie apocalypse? I'm not sure that TP will help in that case, though. :)

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this whole thing isn't going to be like the Y2K fiasco where the media was whipping up everyone into a frenzy and then nothing happened.
Y2K wasn't a nothingburger in a vacuum. There weren't significant problems because a lot of people put in a lot of work ahead of it to fix things before they became major issues. That's the same goal as we're looking at now: social distancing to prevent problems down the line. If it works then COVID19 may not be that big of a deal. We can hope so. If we don't take reasonable precautions then it's likely to be much much worse.

But yeah, it's a respiratory disease not a GI disease, so no need to hoard the toilet paper.

On the other hand, start hoarding bottled water. The water systems are going to go die when everybody starts flushing their TP hoard.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut up my collection of uke boxes to make my own TP!

I have been on spring break this week and now will be teaching my face to face classes online (along with my current online ones) until at least April 3rd.

Most of higher ed saw how proactive it was to have online components to all classes after Hurricane Katrina, when many affected students had to finish coursework at other institutions. I have been teaching online for twenty years and would gladly teach all online if I could. Now I can :D

We are stocked up for two months here at the house. I just got Kev's Quickstart Ukulele Blues and three sizes of strings delivered this afternoon. My dog is always my best audience. I feel very fortunate.

For those of you that can get out there an busk for the scant crowds in public places put out your case and your sign that says "strumming for your comfort, please help with mine, TP most appreciated" or " NO CASH TIPS Toilet Paper ONLY"

See what yea can get in these trying times........

Toilet paper will be back pretty quickly, I don’t worry about that.

COVID-19 will get serious in places and not in others places. The only silver lining that might come of it, will be the realization that it isn’t the other guy, but it is all of our responsibility to not get someone else sick. While I doubt it will happen, if people thought less about protecting themselves and more about protecting others, it would make things better, not just in this instance, but going forward. I don’t think anyone who boasts how it is no big deal, would want to see a list of people they infected, including the ones who didn’t recover.

So far it is not a big deal for me, I just have take the steps to make sure I don’t make it a big deal for someone else.

John

I plan to use this down time to play even more, right back into beautiful and more positive times shortly ahead. Health and prosperity to all.

I just came back from a little restaurant and the grocery store, and the reality of this pandemic finally hit me. The restaurant I go to is a little place that serves huevos rancheros. Despite having my salubrious influence for decades, my wife still eats flour tortillas. To her shock, there were none to be had. Evidently, the TP hoarders are also cornering the market on processed grains. Now the tragedy has landed on our door step. We had to go buy store-bought flour tortillas with a veritable pharmacopeia of ingredients.

On a comical note, I noticed that the only frozen vegetables that remained were brussel sprouts and lima beans. Not even an epidemic and the thought of starvation could make those items more palatable.

I guess I have had a bunker-mentality even before this flu, so that I have a 25 pound bag of red beans as well as other dry goods. You guys freaked me out, so I did buy an extra jar of tomatillo sauce. So now my ukulele and I are prepared for the quarantine.

For those of you that can get out there an busk for the scant crowds in public places put out your case and your sign that says "strumming for your comfort, please help with mine, TP most appreciated" or " NO CASH TIPS Toilet Paper ONLY"

See what yea can get in these trying times........

What tunes would one play for such a busk? “Tip Toe Through the TP”? :eek:ld:

Last edited:

Being a person in the highest risk group, I do not think it's overblown. If we can prevent people dying from the resultant bilateral pneumonia, by the thousands, I don't think we are over-reacting. Our hospitals and healthcare systems will be overwhelmed and everyone will be affected. One way or another. ERs, ICUs will become impossible to get into. Doctors will be triaging who gets to receive care. IE: live and die. If we can't learn from what is happening elsewhere and use the information to prevent it from happening here, then what good are we as a society?

It's easy to say, oh well, a small percentage of people will die, if you don't think it will be you or your family or friends. Quite another if you know if you contract it you will be dead.

The mortality rate for people over 60 is sitting close to 4%. Over 70 it's up to 7-10%, over 80 it's now running about 20%! For influenza, according to the CDC, overall it's about 0.1%. Over 65 it's about 0.8%. So please, get your facts right.

Top Bottom