Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus discussion

Default Coronavirus discussion

Don't want to bring anyone down, I know we're a merry bunch here, and like to joke around, but when someone in the business world sent me this the other day (not this link, but the same exact information, which they were using in their firm's planning), it was sobering: predictions of 40% - 70% of the US population getting infected, with 1.6 million deaths. This was from the UCSF BioHub Panel on COVID-19, on March 10, 2020

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...19-Panel-Notes
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-15-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    John

Thanks. I live i Denmark and the hole country is shot down, borders closed, schools closed etc.
    Ohana TK-35G, Ohana SK 38, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Kala-Acacia-FS U-Bass, The Rebel Double Cheesecake

Here's another article, with more data

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca
    John

Hello, to all.

I am from Tenerife (Spain, Canarias). Two days ago emergency was declared.

Schools, malls, bars - all are closed. But no panic. Now I finally have time for the ukulele. We need to try to look for the positive as much as possible. https://spearfishinger.com/

Hope everything will be better in the world in a few weeks.

I have a feeling that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Nothing super terrible, but not the usual arvi. https://sportegan.com/
    But the hype for me is too much, panic too. And yes, no one knows the exact numbers like. Those that exist for 1.5 billion China somehow do not look like an epidemic.

The media is not very ready to trust, because their bread is precisely to say both bad and escalate the situation.

The spanish flu (1918-20) death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million.
    So, no reason for panic ;-)
    Ohana TK-35G, Ohana SK 38, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Kala-Acacia-FS U-Bass, The Rebel Double Cheesecake

Quote Originally Posted by FinnP View Post
    The spanish flu (1918-20) death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million. So, no reason for panic ;-)
    For so many to point to the 1918 outbreak as an example makes no sense to me, the government suppressed it at the time, and there was nowhere near the capabilities of the medical world like today. I'm being very careful, but I'm not panicking or hoarding anything. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me and use it very often.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I am old and have asthma. Just try to use common sense, the washing cleaning staying away from crowds. Kinda like a hurricane but with power down here in Florida. But it does bring out the inner man (or woman). Hoarders, helpers, panic feeders the whole gamut of human make up. I guess the TP hoarders wont be in the store for awhile after this is over. Just try to act smart.

just heard: all 8 million in the san francisco bay area are ordered to "shelter in place". Anyone with details?

It was announced 1 pm today by the mayor of SF. Six counties are issuing the order. It is a reinforcement with greater emphasis on social distancing.

In essence, it says to stay home unless you are going out for groceries, medical services, or other urgent issues. Bars and eating in at restaurants (take out is encouraged to help the restaurant industry...) will be closed as will many other businesses. Some businesses like plumbers and electricians, banks, hardware stores, etc. are allowed to remain open. You can walk your dog. It is a work in progress, raising questions like if caught by law enforcement, why would you not say "I am going to pick up food".

Article here: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-15135381.php

Thread Information