Coronavirus discussion

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Don't want to bring anyone down, I know we're a merry bunch here, and like to joke around, but when someone in the business world sent me this the other day (not this link, but the same exact information, which they were using in their firm's planning), it was sobering: predictions of 40% - 70% of the US population getting infected, with 1.6 million deaths. This was from the UCSF BioHub Panel on COVID-19, on March 10, 2020

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/13/1927193/-UCSF-COVID-19-Panel-Notes

Last edited:
Thanks. I live i Denmark and the hole country is shot down, borders closed, schools closed etc. :(

Hello, to all.

I am from Tenerife (Spain, Canarias). Two days ago emergency was declared.

Schools, malls, bars - all are closed. But no panic. Now I finally have time for the ukulele. We need to try to look for the positive as much as possible. https://spearfishinger.com/

Hope everything will be better in the world in a few weeks.

I have a feeling that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Nothing super terrible, but not the usual arvi. https://sportegan.com/
But the hype for me is too much, panic too. And yes, no one knows the exact numbers like. Those that exist for 1.5 billion China somehow do not look like an epidemic.

The media is not very ready to trust, because their bread is precisely to say both bad and escalate the situation.

The spanish flu (1918-20) death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million.
So, no reason for panic ;-)

The spanish flu (1918-20) death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million. So, no reason for panic ;-)

For so many to point to the 1918 outbreak as an example makes no sense to me, the government suppressed it at the time, and there was nowhere near the capabilities of the medical world like today. I'm being very careful, but I'm not panicking or hoarding anything. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me and use it very often.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I am old and have asthma. Just try to use common sense, the washing cleaning staying away from crowds. Kinda like a hurricane but with power down here in Florida. But it does bring out the inner man (or woman). Hoarders, helpers, panic feeders the whole gamut of human make up. I guess the TP hoarders wont be in the store for awhile after this is over. Just try to act smart.

It was announced 1 pm today by the mayor of SF. Six counties are issuing the order. It is a reinforcement with greater emphasis on social distancing.

In essence, it says to stay home unless you are going out for groceries, medical services, or other urgent issues. Bars and eating in at restaurants (take out is encouraged to help the restaurant industry...) will be closed as will many other businesses. Some businesses like plumbers and electricians, banks, hardware stores, etc. are allowed to remain open. You can walk your dog. It is a work in progress, raising questions like if caught by law enforcement, why would you not say "I am going to pick up food".

Article here: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...rea-shelter-in-place-coronavirus-15135381.php

It was announced 1 pm today by the mayor of SF. Six counties are issuing the order. It is a reinforcement with greater emphasis on social distancing.

In essence, it says to stay home unless you are going out for groceries, medical services, or other urgent issues. Bars and eating in at restaurants (take out is encouraged to help the restaurant industry...) will be closed as will many other businesses. Some businesses like plumbers and electricians, banks, hardware stores, etc. are allowed to remain open. You can walk your dog. It is a work in progress, raising questions like if caught by law enforcement, why would you not say "I am going to pick up food".

Article here: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...rea-shelter-in-place-coronavirus-15135381.php
Folks who are out may be fined and possibly jailed. Shoplifters however stealing less than $950.00 are not prosecuted.

Last edited:
. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me and use it very often.

Just a friendly (really) suggestion. Don't rely to heavily on hand sanitizer. You really need to get in with warm water and real soap, taking out the surface dead skin and working the cracks and crevices. And if you have facial hair, two things... Pay double attention to keeping your hands away from your face AND wipe down your beard as often as you clean your hands! As a 40 year+ health care worker I'm professionally aware of the benefits of hand washing and the whole hair and facial hair thing is a hiding place for lots of evils (not just yesterday's BBQ)!

. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on me and use it very often.

Just a friendly (really) suggestion. Don't rely to heavily on hand sanitizer. You really need to get in with warm water and real soap, taking out the surface dead skin and working the cracks and crevices.

When I'm home or near a means to wash, I do so, otherwise when I'm out and about, especially handling money, the sanitizer is right there.

San Diego area. I’m in the hospital now. Had back surgery yesterday, go home today to start healing. Strong pain meds make it difficult to type.

It’s eerily quiet here. Nurses are calling this the calm before the storm. They have a huge triage tent setup in front of the ER entrance. I was lucky to get my surgery done because they say they will cancel all elective surgeries soon (today?). I can hear some of the conversations between nurses in the hall. My heart goes out to all medical professionals. Just thinking about what they are about to face... I’m fighting back my tears.

My Sis is a nurse at a major Boston hospital. Anyone who previously worked in the ICU (she did) is being tranferred back there, which will be the front lines in the upcoming war. There is a shortage of the protective N95 masks. Previously, they would change masks and gowns between patients. Due to the shortage, they are being told to use the same mask, all day. Very scary.

Last edited:
Spain, south of Granada, and we have been in isolation since Sunday. No sense of panic here, but huge uncertainty concerning the future.
It´s night, and from up here on the mountain I can see a vast panorama with many roads --- there´s very little movement.

I´ll need to go shopping in a week or so, --- mixed feelings about that.

My nearest town lives by tourism, it will hit the winter with empty pockets.
As the song says, ¨You don´t know what you´ve got ´til it´s gone.¨

Spain, south of Granada, and we have been in isolation since Sunday. No sense of panic here, but huge uncertainty concerning the future.
It´s night, and from up here on the mountain I can see a vast panorama with many roads --- there´s very little movement.

I´ll need to go shopping in a week or so, --- mixed feelings about that.

My nearest town lives by tourism, it will hit the winter with empty pockets.
As the song says, ¨You don´t know what you´ve got ´til it´s gone.¨

Last edited:
The new name for covid19 is the "Trump virus".

Top Bottom