Use of sanitizer on ukuleles

Considering sanitization is completely unnecessary from a COVID-19 standpoint, this is just a facepalm....

My body has absorbed so much hand sanitizer , that when I pee , it cleans the toilet .

Interesting. Where did you train?

Thanks for saying that: I almost commented myself. The faceplant comment was rude, and frankly, uninformed (has that poster actually read any actual research, or just the news??). The science is incomplete, and while it does currently suggests that transmission from surface to human is not probable, we just don't know the full picture of transmission. The science is constantly evolving--that is the nature of science (I am PhD trained researcher, for what it is worth I do get the scientific process)--and there is some peer-reviewed evidence that does suggest the possibility of surface transmission. For high risk groups, being careful is not a bad idea.

Cheers.

The other thing to consider, is that while the ethanol alcohol may or may not affect the finish, the other 30 to 40% of the ingredients for the sanitizer that is worrisome. There is a portion that does not evaporate and remains as a residue. Some even have ingredients that are supposed to moisturize and soften your skin.

You'd be better off using the hand sanitizer on your hands before and after playing than applying it to the instrument.

To date, studies have shown that the chance of transmission from a hard, non-porous surface is low, but not impossible.

As the OP, I'll mention that this thread was started back in March, (when we knew less about COVID - though IMO we still have a lot to learn), and then and now stores are saying that they're sanitizing instruments. Still not sure what they're using, (I haven't asked any of those stores, since I'm not going in to them), but they must have something that is working and is safe on the instruments.

I know that there are varying thoughts on how seriously to take all of the precautions, but I wear 2 masks to work, along with a face shield if in closer contact with anyone, so that gives you a good idea of where I stand on taking precautions. I know sooo many people who have had COVID, many with long-term problems as a result, so I'd rather be overly cautious than get COVID.

But, YMMV.

It's good that stores are sanitizing their ukuleles after customers touching them. I think a few wipes of disinfection wipes shouldn't hurt the finish, so it is good for the customers.

Thanks for saying that: I almost commented myself. The faceplant comment was rude, and frankly, uninformed (has that poster actually read any actual research, or just the news??). The science is incomplete, and while it does currently suggests that transmission from surface to human is not probable, we just don't know the full picture of transmission. The science is constantly evolving--that is the nature of science (I am PhD trained researcher, for what it is worth I do get the scientific process)--and there is some peer-reviewed evidence that does suggest the possibility of surface transmission. For high risk groups, being careful is not a bad idea.

Cheers.

There is absolutely the possibility of surface transmission, and like you say, the transmission mechanisms are still being understood. I apologize for sounding flippant--while I am a researcher, infectious diseases are not my area. All I meant was that reading what I have about surface decay, it seems that customers handling the same instruments within a few hours of each other would not have a measurable risk, assuming they follow good hygiene practices. Now that I write this, it does seem possible that some instruments may be handled more frequently than that, in which case, some sort of disinfection might be worth considering.

There is absolutely the possibility of surface transmission, and like you say, the transmission mechanisms are still being understood. I apologize for sounding flippant--while I am a researcher, infectious diseases are not my area. All I meant was that reading what I have about surface decay, it seems that customers handling the same instruments within a few hours of each other would not have a measurable risk, assuming they follow good hygiene practices. Now that I write this, it does seem possible that some instruments may be handled more frequently than that, in which case, some sort of disinfection might be worth considering.

All good--these are tense times.

Top Bottom