Season 422 Heal the World

Harmony Smurf

Reaction score
There are many things to be feeling down about right now in the world. The intent of this season is to bring some positivity into it. Songs should have the intent of trying to make the world a better place through music in the folk and punk folk genres(or songs adapted to these genres). Since the uke is a folk instrument, pretty much anything goes as long as it is in the week's theme(even weakly) of changing the world with out music. The inspiration for this week comes from the heroic band led by Wallace Hartley that played on the Titanic to help soothe the panic of everyone on board.

Originals and covers are all welcome. There is no song limit. I will pick out a short list at the end, but we will all be winners this time. The reward for the season is that I will be donating a good part of my book collection to a local charity. Entries will start at the beginning of March 15th Hawaiian time and finish at the end of the day on March 22nd Hawaiian time. Be sure to comment on as many other contributions as you can and help build up our community. I will amend this if I have forgotten any necessary rules.

Now go fight the edgelord trolls of the world with our goodwill!

Playlist link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaZgt105GF6v4pInOOo_l5vZJbIVLRce

Last edited:
Edit due to forgetting to include some things: The inspiration for this week comes from the heroic band led by Wallace Hartley that played on the Titanic to help soothe the panic of everyone on board.

Titanics-band.jpg

Added rule: be sure to comment on as many other contributions as you can and help build up our community.

Last edited:
In the same vein as Turn Turn Turn and The Circle Game, here is a beauty from Harry Nilsson from his album/fable, The Point!

Last edited:
Ahoy
Here is my attempt at Dylans magnificent protest song When The Ship Comes In

Hello, Kelly and thank you for this week and such a very timely theme. I had never heard this song before today and I hope it will fit the bill. It comes to you from a beleaguered France where we are in "self-isolation" and, from tomorrow, there will be nothing open apart from food shops and pharmacies. This should be a week of celebrations as it is my birthday and also our wedding anniversary ... oh, well! Stay safe, everyone!

Great theme Kelly, and thanks for hosting. This is a pretty positive song I only discovered a couple of years ago - written by Eric Andersen, and also recorded by Pete Seeger.

A song about war mashed up with a song about dancing. For positivity!
Life During Wartime by The Talking Heads
and
Disco Inferno by The Trammps

btw, sometimes I accidentally mark the entries in my watch later list instead of the season's playlist, so don't be shy about telling me if I made a mistake.

I am currently caught up with everyone's entry so far and now have some time to practice my next song. Every song so far has had some comforting peaceful, and sometimes cathartic fit to the week's theme. Great work so far. Remember to comment on each other's videos as well for the sake of goodwill and reciprocation.

I love you all and this place,
kelly

thank you for this week Kelly
kev and i learnt this one today for the season
love my brother

It seems many people have never been introduced to the album/fable/animated film called The Point! by Harry Nilsson. A nice elderly couple that I met on holiday sent a copy of the album to me when I was a kid. A very important and influential gesture! I can't think of ever receiving a more meaningful gift. When it was released in CD format, complete with a tiny version of the booklet that was included in the 12" LP, I got one for my kids, and then ordered ten more copies to pass out to other young people.
Here is one other note: In third grade, we were gathered together for a school assembly to see a film. It turned out to be an animated feature of "The Point!" Please understand that, to my child-brain, this album existed in my world only. I never gave a thought that others could know about this story or have the record as well. To find out that it existed as a cartoon!?!?! My mind was blown! Absolutely rocked!

Shirley is her name a song by Rory McLeod.
Mothers are good, everybody should have one.

Cheers for hosting this one Kelly. The tv was on in the background which I thought wouldn't come out in the recording as loud grrrrrrrrr.

Top Bottom