Season 422 Heal the World

Not sure this strictly fits... Rather than healing the world as such, the song imagines a world where all the land has been lost to a watery apocalypse. Despite this the message remains resolutely hopeful til the end...life and indeed the human race is far from over...x

In spite of the image of folk song among some of being miserable with a death in every line, there are many traditional songs that fit this theme. According to a 19th century collector Frank Kidson, "Spencer the Rover" has been popular in Yorkshire despite its terrible doggerel. I reckon that a good tune together is with a positive message and the reference to Yorkshire in the second verse explains its popularity. Kidson clearly didn't think much of the lyrics as he described them as "the production of some wandering ballad singer without much poetical genius" It's still sung in local folk clubs.

Season of the Ukulele 422 is "Heal the World." Songs should have the intent of trying to make the world a better place through music. I think this song by Forest Sun fits for two reasons. First, it's a song of hope in trying times, and asks "let me hear your voice, so I know that I'm not alone." Through music, we share our voices and come together. Better by definition. Second, I think Forest's music is wonderful, and it makes me happy to play it. My wife and one daughter hypothesize that it's because I can largely hit the notes he sings - that's something, I admit it - but more importantly he writes songs that are sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always truthful as near as I can tell.

Ahoy
Here is another Dylan song. This is one of my favourites; an interesting and poignant story - The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll

Things are escalating rapidly here. My usual Tuesday night ukulele session is off until further notice, and I have just heard that I place I work at on a Wednesday is closing too. This song by Elbow sort of fits the theme I think - maybe looking forward to the day when we can go out and enjoy life again.

This song is based on a children song from ca. 19th century, and was since 1929 a carneval song in Mainz (a little bit west from bigger Frankfurt), also at the river Main.
After the destruction of Mainz in WW II, it became the "healing hym" for a whole population, especially after an additional last verse from 1952.
How important that still seems to be: after a destroying fire in a historical guesthouse close to Mainz in 2007!, the construction company installed a big poster with the song printed, and a PA for hearing the song.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/MolsbergerHof-Bodenheim-Klingel.jpg

Thanks for hosting this week Kelly, it's a really great theme! I had recently learned Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, and thought it would be a good fit here. Joined by Jon, who's really done most of the work here. Thanks to Joo, who made some handmade drawings and the accompanying clip.

Elton John's "Your Sister Can't Twist (But She can Rock and Roll).

To me, one of music of the 70s joys, from a fantastic album....(although the Captain came later)
features three of my fave raves musically, Twist,Rock and Roll and the Blues and it just cheers me up
immensely. Could have done it better justice ,but just went for the raw "one tek and to 'eck wi' it"
sort of thing. Did a little post production fiddling ,but i probably just made it worse. I don't know my eq from my bias !!

Imagine there's no virus. No hysteria or fear.
No schools closed around us. Carona was just a beer....

(Today is my first day teaching online instead of in a classroom)

[FONT=&quot]In self isolation I have been reading a book of Japanese poems which are based on 5-7-5 syllables in a three line poem. I suspect that self isolation may be a struggle for some folks and they many feel restless and agitated... flapping their wings for something to do, but if they can contemplate the chaos that is going on in the world at the moment, and perhaps meditate on what are the true and worthwhile things in life, then this period of self isolation will be invaluable if it gives a new perspective on what is really important for them. Health is our wealth.
[/FONT]

Just going for a song from the folk genre, Reason To Believe by Tim Hardin, one of my favourite folk artists although I only discovered him after hearing Rod Stewart's great cover of this tune back in 1971.
Looks like I got the short straw following Yukio, ah well, I suppose someone has to.

Mythinformed brought it as an excellent instrumental--now here's a vocal rendition. My father-in-law's funeral was last week, and while that was going on I found out that I (who have never taught an online course in my life) must now figure out a way to deliver the rest of the semester remotely to a group of college students, most of whom have not taken online classes. At a time like this we must all strive to be kind to each other, and to be that bridge when needed. I love my Seasonista community, and music is more important than ever with this much anxiety in the world (both my choirs, including the one with which I was going to sing Beethoven's ninth in May, have suspended operations until the fall--this is now my sole non-solitary musical outlet).

Hey folks. Hang in there. Thanks for a great season, Kelly!

Here's one you may know.

I'm not becoming THAT GUY, I promise. But I have two fine Depression-era sopranos now. That is all.

Thanks again Kelly for hosting and for this weeks theme. As I thought about healing in general and for the world at large, it dawned on me that music and dance both have healing properties, and so I came to the conclusion that a song about music and dance would indeed fit the weeks theme. I hope you agree.

Top Bottom