Season 422 Heal the World

And I got the shorter straw following one of BEV's home brews.

Christopher's contributions from the beginning of the week reminded me of the film The Point, which is excellent. It's being released on blue ray (and digital maybe?) in celebration of the 50th anniversary. Anyway, here is another Nilsson tune from the film.

This is #2 of a trifecta of Forest Sun covers this week. I find this song super funny, and kinda relatable for my younger self. Plus, any song with Cupid in it has to qualify for "Heal the World."
If you don't know Forest Sun, check out his YouTube channel or on Spotify. Great stuff!

Last edited:
This is #3 of a trifecta of Forest Sun covers this week. For me, this song is about gratitude for simple things.
If you don't know Forest Sun, check out his YouTube channel or on Spotify. Great stuff!

This song from Lucinda Williams has the pertinent sentiment in the title. The song is about a more personal relationship, but the overall sentiment is still relative in these difficult times.

And I now realise i got the title wrong. It should be Stand Right By Each Other

In New Orleans there was a great tradition of dancing in the streets, especially in the Tremé district and Lambeth in particular which was famous for originating the parasol walk, or as it was locally known the Lambeth walk. It was more of a dance than a walk, since the people believed that the best way to solve problems was by dancing. You had your war dance, rain dance, fertility dance... you name it the folks in Lambeth had a dance for it. The Lambeth carnivals from 1910 onwards gave way to the Marde Gras for which New Orleans became famous... and the song "The Lambeth walk" was a popular number in the band of Sugar Root Fortescue-Smythe. The melody was later incorporated into the musical "Me and my gal" but to satisfy the gentile clientele of the theatre the song lost much of its character which had been steeped in the blues of New Orleans.

Hello again, Kelly! I'm enjoying all the very necessary optimism this week! Determined as I am to remain relentlessly cheerful whilst undergoing self-isolation in deepest France, I bring you this .... the sun HAS actually been shining a lot these last few days.

This is not my entry, it is a video by Rob some 5 -6 years ago which I would love to share with you all. Going through the thread I noticed that Kev and Rob both mention dancing as a way to heal or solve problems. I totally agree! You can dance with your eyes closed, you can dance with a cat on your head, your fingers can dance over your uke strings, you can dance sitting or lying down. You can dance. You must dance.
Hope this brings some smiles and joy.:)

Last edited:
Let's Face The Music And Dance.

First song I thought of when I saw this Season's theme. Wish I'd thought of one with simpler chords! But what better song to follow Rob's Celtic Bhangra Dance!!

[Uke is Argapa (pron ar-y ah-pa - Swedish for Angry Monkey!) #73 - a soprano resonator uke handmade in Sweden from cherry and ash from a cherry and an ash tree, the luthier cut down 20 years ago!]

This song is often thought to be traditional but it was actually written by a Francis McPeake in the early years of the 20th century. The McPeakes were an Ulster singing family. The song is actually based on a song written by an 18th century Scottish Poet by the name of Robert Tannahill and his original song was called "The Braes of Balquidder". I have it in a book at home and I have heard it sung locally occasionally.

This is not my entry, it is a video by Rob some 5 -6 years ago which I would love to share with you all. Going through the thread I noticed that Kev and Rob both mention dancing as a way to heal or solve problems. I totally agree! You can dance with your eyes closed, you can dance with a cat on your head, your fingers can dance over your uke strings, you can dance sitting or lying down. You can dance. You must dance.
Hope this brings some smiles and joy.:)

well that brought back a memory or two and gave me a smile especially the close encounters of a 3rd kind chime at the end😂😆😅

"May There Always Be Sunshine" (1962) is a song about peace by Arkady Ostrovsky and Lev Oshanin. Lyrics in English by Tom Botting. Stay safe!

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
- Albert Schweitzer

Tommy Tiernan is an Irish Billy Connolly and besides being a lunatic philosopher is a brilliant comedian. He describes an Irish session where the dancing is so frenetic and the music is so wild that the pub where the session is being held up roots itself and is transported like Saint Paul into the seventh heaven... Gailic ceilidhs are like that sometimes. Dancing and holy laughter are a potent combination. Enjoy some Tommy lunacy.

To be honest i thought someone would have done this already!!

My rehearsal last night was cancelled, so I had a bit of time and creative energy to make a video. Here's "I'd Love to Change the World" by Ten Years After; for tenor ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ubass and secondary vocal. I changed the words of the verses quite a bit to align more with my own take on the problems we face, and to add a touch of goofy humour (please pardon me for that!). Thanks for hosting, Kelly : )

Here is my first, this week.

Although changing the world may be a bit on the difficult side, changing how we relate to people is within our grasp. This is a break up song, but one that pleads that such an experience doesn't have to be the bitter, hate filled exercise it so often is.

I am still friends with three of the women who were my long term partners before I met Carmen and I think that celebrates the love we had for each other and the platonic love we still share... which Carmen also shares too as she has become friends with them too. I was always so sad when relationships ended in tears in the past...

So, this is a positive song about an experience that is too often a negative one. More general affirmative songs to follow... Being confined to our flat is not all bad news 😊

Here is my second submission. It's another song written during FAWM 2020. This one has a more universal reach than the one I uploaded yesterday. The next one will be personal and positive.

Hope you enjoy:

Top Bottom