Lava Order Canceled

Jerryc41

Reaction score
After ordering a red Lava concert on Amazon, I got a notice that it had been sent. Then I got three emails from the seller (through Amazon) asking for my phone number. It was being delivered by DHL, and they require a phone number.

I sent them my number twice, and then I got a third request. Today, they canceled the order because I didn't send my phone number. :(

I hope they credit my account.

Maybe I'll get on the waiting list at Uke Republic. But - the thrill is gone.

That's a bummer, alright. Have you dealt with that seller before?

That's a bummer, alright. Have you dealt with that seller before?

I've bought from Amazon before but not from Lava. If Uke Republic had them in stock, I might order one, but I don't feel like waiting another month or more.

EDIT: I asked Uke Republic if March is a realistic arrival time for the Lava, but I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
Bummer! I was hoping to hear what you thought of these futuristic instruments.

I'll just have to wait.

I have one. I like it a lot. Everything about it is quality, except for the clear top of case. Blemishes easy. Also, no strap yet. Hope to have one in a couple of weeks. Bummer.

I love the tones of the Lava, especially when plugged in to an amp. Honestly though, when unplugged, I can’t tell much difference with effects on or off. When turned on, I hear no increase in volume.

I find the Lava a joy to fret. Just seems easier and more fluid than any if my others.

I am wondering how safe it would be to drill a hole in the rear for a strap button, since it’s carbon fiber. Would probably void the warranty.

The Lava is a real looker. Definitely different.

....I am wondering how safe it would be to drill a hole in the rear for a strap button, since it’s carbon fiber. Would probably void the warranty......

Got to imagine it would indeed void any warranty - if that matters to you. As for drilling, it's essentially an injection molded polycarbonate uke, and I wouldn't trust a screw to hold in that material. So you would need to be able to use a bolt and nut to hold the strap pin. Could you get inside that tiny hole to do any work?

As for drilling, it's essentially an injection molded polycarbonate uke, and I wouldn't trust a screw to hold in that material.

I asked Blackbird about that because I wanted to add a strap button to my Clara. If I remember correctly, they said to use a 3/8" long #6 sheetmetal screw. I think I posted that info here at the time, but finding it would be difficult.

I posted about the “X2Double” preamp in another post about the lava uke.
It is about $100 online and is easily installed. The amp attaches in the sound hole so no big holes are needed. The only drilling required is for the pickup. Small hole under the saddle and the endpin.
Turns any uke into an effects machine.

I posted about the “X2Double” preamp in another post about the lava uke.
It is about $100 online and is easily installed. The amp attaches in the sound hole so no big holes are needed. The only drilling required is for the pickup. Small hole under the saddle and the endpin.
Turns any uke into an effects machine.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Right now, all my money is going toward toilet paper. :D :D :D

I asked Blackbird about that because I wanted to add a strap button to my Clara. If I remember correctly, they said to use a 3/8" long #6 sheetmetal screw. I think I posted that info here at the time, but finding it would be difficult.

I called and spoke with Joe once about this very point, and he said the Ekoa handles screws very well. Not true of brittle fiberglass, polycarbonate, or true carbon fiber - there you want a bolt for any load.

Got to imagine it would indeed void any warranty - if that matters to you. As for drilling, it's essentially an injection molded polycarbonate uke, and I wouldn't trust a screw to hold in that material. So you would need to be able to use a bolt and nut to hold the strap pin. Could you get inside that tiny hole to do any work?

No. Hole is too small to install a bolt. I think I will leave well enough alone and wait in my strap to be delivered. Whenever. My understanding from Mike at UR, is that the original batch of straps manufactured, had a serious flaw. So, Lava had to manufacture a new batch. Mike stated about a month, so I fully expect to have one by April 1st.

I find that because of the super smoothness of the Lava, along with the shape, makes it very difficult to keep the uke steady without a strap. Of course, that could just be me. I strap all ukes, even soprano.

No. Hole is too small to install a bolt. I think I will leave well enough alone and wait in my strap to be delivered. Whenever. My understanding from Mike at UR, is that the original batch of straps manufactured, had a serious flaw. So, Lava had to manufacture a new batch. Mike stated about a month, so I fully expect to have one by April 1st.

I find that because of the super smoothness of the Lava, along with the shape, makes it very difficult to keep the uke steady without a strap. Of course, that could just be me. I strap all ukes, even soprano.

A good alternative is the Grip Strip from Magic Fluke. They virtually disappear on a black instrument.

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

A good alternative is the Grip Strip from Magic Fluke. They virtually disappear on a black instrument.

https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

I wonder how safe it would be to install these strips on a carbon fiber uke? I remember years ago I stuck a quarter size pickup to a mountain dulcimer with horrid results. Advertised as no worrying about marring the wood surface. Not.

I wonder how safe it would be to install these strips on a carbon fiber uke? I remember years ago I stuck a quarter size pickup to a mountain dulcimer with horrid results. Advertised as no worrying about marring the wood surface. Not.

Grip Strips are definitely (in my opinion) not for "put on/take off" use. I use them on ukes with polycarbonate backs. For temporary use, there are other products, but even with them, I remove them immediately after playing. These "Stickin' with My Uke" pads are very good. I use them and so do other people in my group. As I said, I use 'em and remove 'em. I don't use them on KoAlohas, Kamakas, etc., although I have never seen any ill effects on wooden surfaces.

https://www.thehugstrap.com/products/stickin-with-my-uke-pad-non-slip-pad-for-the-ukulele

Lava Order Revived!

While jamming with my group online yesterday, I was so energized that I ordered a red Lava concert from Uke Republic. He's scheduled to receive one this month, so I hope that actually happens.

Just received a red concert Lava with FreeBoost from Amazon. Ordered on 3/14 and was shipped 3/16. First impression—I like it. Surprised when I lifted it out of the case that it has a more satin or flat finished. I was expecting glossy. Looks good and feels good, however. Easy to play. Action at the 12th fret is about 2.75 mm. The effects are interesting. I was torn between simple acoustic and the FreeBoost model. I like the acoustic sound. Might come to appreciate the special effects more as time goes by. Haven’t plugged it into an amp yet. But this option is a plus. Will probably try a Fremont Soloist low G.

In terms of a strap, a reviewer on Amazon recommended the Strap Jack Guitar Strap Lock System that amazon sells for $7.60. Given our current crisis, Amazon is not shipping these kinds of items until 4/21. Looks like Strings and Beyond have it for $4.95. I’ll probably just wait till Lava releases theirs.

Just received a red concert Lava with FreeBoost from Amazon. Ordered on 3/14 and was shipped 3/16. First impression—I like it. Surprised when I lifted it out of the case that it has a more satin or flat finished. I was expecting glossy. Looks good and feels good, however. Easy to play. Action at the 12th fret is about 2.75 mm. The effects are interesting. I was torn between simple acoustic and the FreeBoost model. I like the acoustic sound. Might come to appreciate the special effects more as time goes by. Haven’t plugged it into an amp yet. But this option is a plus. Will probably try a Fremont Soloist low G.

In terms of a strap, a reviewer on Amazon recommended the Strap Jack Guitar Strap Lock System that amazon sells for $7.60. Given our current crisis, Amazon is not shipping these kinds of items until 4/21. Looks like Strings and Beyond have it for $4.95. I’ll probably just wait till Lava releases theirs.

Well, that's a surprise! My order from Amazon was coming from China, and they canceled it because they said they didn't have my phone number (They did). I ordered one from Uke Republic (low-G) - also coming from China - and they're supposed to receive it this month. One good thing: I saved the $30 in sales tax by ordering from Uke Republic. : )

I’ve had my Lava for a month. I like it a lot, but disappointed with the Freeboost. Don’t expect a noticeable difference in volume with the freeboost on. The effects are nice, but I still don’t hear the big deal. However, plugged into an amp is really nice. Cool to change effects in the run without reaching for the amp.

It was my understanding, prior to purchasing, that the freeboost would give me a noticeable increase in volume. This was important to me, ‘cause I like to walk around a lot while performing. Without a power cord to worry about. This is a bummer. But, all in all, the Lava projects well, lots of volume. Just expecting a little more. Maybe it’s just me.

My immediate need is a strap. On the other hand, there’s no place to play anyway, just home. I’ve spoken to Mike at UR concerning the strap issue. Believe me, he’s a ton more bummed out than we are. He deals with this every day. Mike is awesome.

I’ve had my Lava for a month. I like it a lot, but disappointed with the Freeboost. Don’t expect a noticeable difference in volume with the freeboost on. The effects are nice, but I still don’t hear the big deal. However, plugged into an amp is really nice. Cool to change effects in the run without reaching for the amp.

It was my understanding, prior to purchasing, that the freeboost would give me a noticeable increase in volume. This was important to me, ‘cause I like to walk around a lot while performing. Without a power cord to worry about. This is a bummer. But, all in all, the Lava projects well, lots of volume. Just expecting a little more. Maybe it’s just me.

My immediate need is a strap. On the other hand, there’s no place to play anyway, just home. I’ve spoken to Mike at UR concerning the strap issue. Believe me, he’s a ton more bummed out than we are. He deals with this every day. Mike is awesome.

My Enya with a similar system gives similar results, but that's what I was expecting - more effects than a volume increase.

Top Bottom