Acoustic/ electric Baritone with amp under $250?

Chrisinfp

Reaction score
I’ve been playing around 8 years. I’m far from great so am looking for a mid level electric/ acoustic baritone. I’d prefer one that comes with small speaker / amp if possible. Any suggestions. Thanks

What Jim said: you're at a really challenging price point. You're just about the top of entry level and just skirting the bottom of what I'd consider mid level - before the pickup. With the paramaters you give I like Jim's suggestion, but unless you really need the pickup I'd skip that and get a better fully acoustic baritone (if you can push the budget a bit there are several great options in the 250-300 price range: I went with the Bonanza Homestead). You can add a pick-up later if you need it. If you're just experimenting then stick-ons are cheap, easy, and generally good enough.

On the amp side, check out your local used market. Used amps are often a good buy. There are generally tons of small practice amps available for a song and plenty good enough for ukin'. My local craigslist has several pages worth of mostly decent but small amps for under $50. Most of them will sound much better than the Honeytone at the expense of portability and cuteness (love that burgundy!) The Honeytone has a cool, dirty, low-fi sound, and it's great if that's what you're looking for, but IMHO it's not a good general purpose amp.

The downside of buying used right now is that you need to deal with people. If you're in a high-risk group or area it may not be worth it. I have a few instruments I want to sell, but I'm holding off on selling stuff now until the pandemic blows over. Fortunately my main reason to sell is to free up space - I don't have significant money tied up in instruments. With all of the local musicians out of work I suspect there will be a lot of instruments on the market soon to make rent and food :(

What about a thing called an echosonic transducer acoustic pickup? It does not have knobs on the instrument to adjust, but they do amplify the sound, and it can be moved from instrument to instrument, or to different spots on an instrument until you find "your" sweet spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom