Lava U vs. Populele

Ziret

Reaction score
What do you think? Are they the same?

Screenshot_20200318-103758.jpg

Screenshot_20200318-103559.jpg

Hard to tell from the small photo, but while the shape is similar, it's probably closer to the Enya Nova. The frets look to be plastic, while the Lava has metal frets, right? And of course you have the fretboard that lights up to show you the way.

Amazing to have so many choices now, especially ones that are likely to be very consistent in quality.

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Pop...635.html?rmmds=search&ID=224&cur_warehouse=CN

Last edited:
I think the two could be kin. But I see differences in the nut and bridge. The strings at the bridge on the Lava have a small beed that is hardly visible, but effective. I think a Lava without the case, pickup, and sound effects, would be a good buy at $200.00 +. The case is pretty special, but I do realize one can’t play a case.

The tuners on the Lava have a lot more play than I am accustomed to. However, I’ve had mine for close to 3 weeks and it stays in tune nicely.

Last edited:
They are far from identical, but have similarities. I wonder if that is going to be a new, popular, shape. Somewhere between a pineapple and a double bout.

Reminds me of a mini dreadnought travel guitar shape

No, they are completely different.

I personally don't like the case that comes with the Lava. I don't care for on board effects. I do want a pick up. I ordered the Populele 2(not pro) and hope to install a pick up. Watched a bunch of review videos. To my ear, I think the Populele sounds as good or better than any of the composite ukes I've heard. I also frequently play with friends on a dark patio and the fretboard lighting might be fun. Black populele 2 is currently on Wally World website for under $62.

Well, I have played both, reviewed both in depth and can list multiple reasons why they are VERY different
It wasn’t criticism. I consider you a professional discerner of the differences between ukuleles. If you think they’re different, that’s a fact for me lol

Top Bottom