Song Help Request What's the name of the song Corey's playing in this video?

Corey plays a song (Futatabi or Reprise) from the Studio Ghibli movie Spirited Away, a composition by Joe Hisaishi.

He sometimes plays other Ghibli songs when he does the sound samples for HMS. Bernard Le Nistour has transcribed two other Ghibli songs as played by Corey. These two (Path of the Wind and Castle in the Sky) can be downloaded from the HMS website.

Corey's playing is beautiful, as ever, but what is causing that thudding sound as he plucks the strings? Is it an effect caused by the recording technique? It is particularly noticeable, and very distracting, in the second piece he played - by Bach, I think.

John Colter

I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out, John. But you're right there is an annoying sound. I think it might be the strings, but I don't now what Blackbird uses. I do know though, that the second piece is the prelude of the first cello suite in G major (BWV 1007) by J.S. Bach. It's an iconic piece that has been used in quite a few movies.

I'm glad you hear it too, Ms Bean. I wondered if it was just me. I don't think it would sound like that if you were listening live. It sounds as though he is tapping the front - but I know he isn't. Must be introduced by the recording process.

John Colter

Top Bottom