John Kinnard Tenor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jddewitt81

Reaction score
Cedar top with Kauri back and sides. If you don’t know much about Kauri wood here is a nice small article. Very beautiful!!

https://www.ancientwood.com/what-is-ancient-kauri-wood/

Has a New Zealand leaf badge on back that came like that from John Kinnard in honor of Kauri wood.

Gold UPT tuners and gloss finish. Ukulele is in excellent condition with the exception of the binding on the back. It’s very hard to photograph or even see but there is a small gap in two spots where the binding curves in and meets the body. John looked it over and said that it was stable and that he wouldn’t worry about it. It doesn’t move when you press on it. There are no other issues.

The wood combo with the cedar top is beautiful and in my opinion this is the nicest sounding ukulele I have ever played. The balance and sustain is wonderful!!

Strung low G and comes with a Uke crazy case.

Hate to sell but I haven’t been playing much and I am out of work now due to the Virus. This needs a good home! You will love it!!

Pictures here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YDA97eHwX1iJik6C8

Last edited:
sure sympathise Jon. i've received the inevitable emails over the last few days too...no more flower deliveries for me.,
not for the forseeable future. it's a scary time.
that said; what a stunning instrument and a ridiculously good price you're offering to sell it for.
hope it goes quickly brother.
be well mate.

Thanks Jon, many ppl are going to be hurting from all of this. Financially I could keep it but with the lack of play lately I figured it’s best to pass it on. This one needs to be played!! Best of luck to you.

Whoa! Excellent price for a Kinnard. I love my two Kinnard tenors. They are wonderful to play. And sound as good as they look. Maybe better.

Another time and I would have jumped at this.

Best of luck with your situation Jon. I'm afraid we are all in for a long few months.

Hello everyone, I would like to say that the buyer has opened a case against me stating that the ukulele was infested with bed bugs. I think any of you that know me know that I would never in a million years have any instrument infested with anything; let alone sell it if it were. I know we are going through some desperate times right now in the word so I feel the buyer simply had a change of heart. They sent me an email right after receiving it saying what a beauty it is and I haven’t heard anything else from them until now. They said upon opening the box they noticed a horrible smell and noticed bed bugs. If that was the case (and I know it wasn’t) why wouldn’t they say something then instead of saying “It’s a beauty”. They also said it had a crack on the back. It had no such crack and anyone that knows me knows I would disclose that if it did. I did disclose the binding issue.

I’m really hurting here people. I lost my job temporarily due to the Coronavirus. I have 4 girls and work at a non profit; Crisis Center that even had to shut down during this time. I just found out that my aunt has lost her life due to the Coronavirus. Financially this is going to be a huge hit all because I feel someone had buyers remorse. I know for a fact I would never in a million years sell ANYTHING like she described and am honestly sick to my stomach even thinking about this and thinking about how I may potentially have to refund her based on her word.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zgEBZr2a61ThnAMM7

This is the message sent to me after they received it. Please see link as thumbnail doesn’t enlarge big enough to read. I will note that her message was sent March 21st. That was 12 days ago. I have not heard anything else from them until tonight when they filed a dispute against me.

Attachments

• 0CA7C5BB-AF4C-4FF6-ADFA-924B65856363.jpg
    0CA7C5BB-AF4C-4FF6-ADFA-924B65856363.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Wow, sorry Jon. Hope it works out, you can get it back, and find another buyer.

EDIT: I edited this post, where I previously cast aspersions on the motives of the buyer, my apologies. I have no idea what's going on here, so I should not have posted that. That said, I've also bought a few ukes from Jon, and every one was a great deal and buying experience.

Last edited:
Wow Jon, I'm sorry to see this! I have bought many instruments from you over the years and have always thought of you as an honest seller who represents the instrument truthfully. And your prices are always more than fair. I hope this works itself out for you.

The problem is I sold it because I myself was out of work so now I will have to spend money I really shouldn’t be spending. I know this potentially makes me look bad to those that don’t know me but I think most ppl know me well enough to know better. I inspected the inside of this Uke extremely well right before selling it because I had someone asking specifically to look inside of it. I wish I could find more pictures of the inside but I think the few included do show how clean it is. At this point if I was forced to do a return I am worried about what I will get back!!

Bed bugs do not eat wood. They will use wood as a resting or hiding place if it's easy access to their host. So, unless you (the host) were sleeping with the uke, there would not be bed bugs within it.

Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear that. Keep all the correspondence you have from them and use that to disput the dispute. I had someone saying a watch was not working but at the same time she had messages to say she had cracked the screen. The chronology in the emails helped.
If you can, get her to post it back at cost to her. Of you refund I'm sure you'll sell again pretty soon. Hope it works out :(

Just another thumbs up for Jon as a seller.

I think your right Jon the seller has buyers remorse and is trying to make up anything to force the return.

I hope sge reads all these and has a change of direction.

Stay home and Uke.

I'm the person that Jon mentioned that asked for a close inspection of this Kinnard. Since the top is solid cedar, I asked him to check the sound hole to see if the ukulele still had the smell of cedar in it. The guy put his face down to it to do a 'sniff test' for me. That may sound weird but I'm very sensitive to the smell of cedar and he told me honestly that it did so I had to pass on it.
I'm wondering how any bugs would tolerate the odor of cedar. Don't people use cedar wood in their closets to ward off moths in their clothes?
So sorry this happened Jon. Hoping for a speedy and fair resolution for you.

When I arranged the transaction with Jon, I did not ask for a close-up picture inside the cavity of the instrument. In one photo Jon uploaded in the last day, you can see there is a dark black circle to the right of the label. I have not seen that picture before. That dark circle is in fact one of what I later discovered to be hundreds of bugs. They were in various areas of the cavity, around the bracing, etc.
The conclusions some have drawn are disappointing. I will not be making further comment.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 136
In your claim on Paypal you said you noticed a smell immediately upon opening it and you noticed it was infested with bed bugs and you sealed it back up. When in that time did you write me the email saying what a beautiful ukulele it was? If you noticed this horrible smell and bedbug situation immediately why would you not say that to me? Why would you wait 12 days before saying anything? Why would you in fact never say anything to me about it at all and just file a claim? I do not believe there are any bed bugs because I am overly anal with my instruments but if there were it is not something that is going to cost a ton of money to rid of like you also mentioned. The solution would be to throw the case away. Vacuum the ukulele out and for good measure seal it up tight in a plastic bag for a week or two. I assure you there were definitely no bugs crawling around inside of it. There was no horrible smell. The only smell was cedar. However; if you had came to me immediately I would have tried to reach a solution just for good measure. Firstly I would have likely offered to give you a bit of money back for a new case. Second I would offer you some money for your time of having to seal up the instrument. I would have tried to settle for $200 just to try and make you happy as a buyer because that is what I do. I try to settle these things. I never want a dissatisfied buyer; even in a case where I may not fully agree with them. In many cases I would have simply returned it but the reason I sold it in the first place was because I lost my job due to the crisis and needed the money. I don’t have $1000s of dollars to be throwing around so I would have came to a resolution. If a $200 partial refund works for you then the offer is there.

I understand these are hard times. Again that is the reason I sold it. If money wasn’t part of the issue I would have probably asked more than $1050 for it.

Count me as another person who has transacted with Jon and had a great experience. If the buyer sent an email that it was lovely and then sought to unwind the transaction without even approaching Jon, the seller, that's disappointing to hear. I do hope, Jon, that an email like that would close the case in your favor.

I'm no expert, but a few years ago I did a several month consulting project for a commercial dryer company that created a heat tent for exterminating bed bugs. Bed bugs don't typically hang out on flat wood services, unless there are cracks to hide in. They need places to hide and where they can sneak out to feed (on blood) because they must feed at least once per stage to advance through their 5-stage life cycle. This is why they like mattresses, furniture, etc. because people sit/lie on these and the bed bugs can then sneak out and feed a little. And since a young nymph is about 1.5 mm and an adult bed bug is the size of an apple seed, I don't see how there could have been hundreds congregating around the label (again, where there is no place to hide).

I hope in the end it works out, Jon. You have enough to deal without having something like this to pile on. Sending some positive energy your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom