Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Kinnard Tenor!!

Wow Jon, I'm sorry to see this! I have bought many instruments from you over the years and have always thought of you as an honest seller who represents the instrument truthfully. And your prices are always more than fair. I hope this works itself out for you.
    Main players:

Soprano: WC Ukuleles

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT2 | Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

Others to be re-homed: Kepasa Madera koa| Kiwaya KS-1 | 16" Koa Ono | Blackbird Farallon

The problem is I sold it because I myself was out of work so now I will have to spend money I really shouldn’t be spending. I know this potentially makes me look bad to those that don’t know me but I think most ppl know me well enough to know better. I inspected the inside of this Uke extremely well right before selling it because I had someone asking specifically to look inside of it. I wish I could find more pictures of the inside but I think the few included do show how clean it is. At this point if I was forced to do a return I am worried about what I will get back!!

Bed bugs do not eat wood. They will use wood as a resting or hiding place if it's easy access to their host. So, unless you (the host) were sleeping with the uke, there would not be bed bugs within it.

Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear that. Keep all the correspondence you have from them and use that to disput the dispute. I had someone saying a watch was not working but at the same time she had messages to say she had cracked the screen. The chronology in the emails helped.
    If you can, get her to post it back at cost to her. Of you refund I'm sure you'll sell again pretty soon. Hope it works out
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C • NFC spruce + cocobolo
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple • Tin Guitar London Plane (in build)
    Beater - Kala KA-SRMT-TRI

For sale - Kai KCI-5000 acacia

Just another thumbs up for Jon as a seller.

I think your right Jon the seller has buyers remorse and is trying to make up anything to force the return.

I hope sge reads all these and has a change of direction.

Stay home and Uke.

I'm the person that Jon mentioned that asked for a close inspection of this Kinnard. Since the top is solid cedar, I asked him to check the sound hole to see if the ukulele still had the smell of cedar in it. The guy put his face down to it to do a 'sniff test' for me. That may sound weird but I'm very sensitive to the smell of cedar and he told me honestly that it did so I had to pass on it.
    I'm wondering how any bugs would tolerate the odor of cedar. Don't people use cedar wood in their closets to ward off moths in their clothes?
    So sorry this happened Jon. Hoping for a speedy and fair resolution for you.

JD, did they send you a pic of the supposed crack?
    John

When I arranged the transaction with Jon, I did not ask for a close-up picture inside the cavity of the instrument. In one photo Jon uploaded in the last day, you can see there is a dark black circle to the right of the label. I have not seen that picture before. That dark circle is in fact one of what I later discovered to be hundreds of bugs. They were in various areas of the cavity, around the bracing, etc.
    The conclusions some have drawn are disappointing. I will not be making further comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

In your claim on Paypal you said you noticed a smell immediately upon opening it and you noticed it was infested with bed bugs and you sealed it back up. When in that time did you write me the email saying what a beautiful ukulele it was? If you noticed this horrible smell and bedbug situation immediately why would you not say that to me? Why would you wait 12 days before saying anything? Why would you in fact never say anything to me about it at all and just file a claim? I do not believe there are any bed bugs because I am overly anal with my instruments but if there were it is not something that is going to cost a ton of money to rid of like you also mentioned. The solution would be to throw the case away. Vacuum the ukulele out and for good measure seal it up tight in a plastic bag for a week or two. I assure you there were definitely no bugs crawling around inside of it. There was no horrible smell. The only smell was cedar. However; if you had came to me immediately I would have tried to reach a solution just for good measure. Firstly I would have likely offered to give you a bit of money back for a new case. Second I would offer you some money for your time of having to seal up the instrument. I would have tried to settle for $200 just to try and make you happy as a buyer because that is what I do. I try to settle these things. I never want a dissatisfied buyer; even in a case where I may not fully agree with them. In many cases I would have simply returned it but the reason I sold it in the first place was because I lost my job due to the crisis and needed the money. I don’t have $1000s of dollars to be throwing around so I would have came to a resolution. If a $200 partial refund works for you then the offer is there.

I understand these are hard times. Again that is the reason I sold it. If money wasn’t part of the issue I would have probably asked more than $1050 for it.

Count me as another person who has transacted with Jon and had a great experience. If the buyer sent an email that it was lovely and then sought to unwind the transaction without even approaching Jon, the seller, that's disappointing to hear. I do hope, Jon, that an email like that would close the case in your favor.

I'm no expert, but a few years ago I did a several month consulting project for a commercial dryer company that created a heat tent for exterminating bed bugs. Bed bugs don't typically hang out on flat wood services, unless there are cracks to hide in. They need places to hide and where they can sneak out to feed (on blood) because they must feed at least once per stage to advance through their 5-stage life cycle. This is why they like mattresses, furniture, etc. because people sit/lie on these and the bed bugs can then sneak out and feed a little. And since a young nymph is about 1.5 mm and an adult bed bug is the size of an apple seed, I don't see how there could have been hundreds congregating around the label (again, where there is no place to hide).

I hope in the end it works out, Jon. You have enough to deal without having something like this to pile on. Sending some positive energy your way!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information