Uke Talk or General Discussion?

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Would it be possible to keep "Uke Talk" threads about ukulele related stuff and use other Boards like "General Discussion" for other stuff?

I know Covid 19 is on all of our minds these days and I have followed all of those threads. But sometimes I'd like to browse just the uke stuff too.

Methinks we would have a lots more sub-threads if everyone had a say in organizing the forum (I'd love to see NUD threads in their own place).

To me, these COVID-19 threads are no more annoying than anything else that's off-topic here. Most people here have the uke heavily involved in their life. COVID-19 is going to dramatically change the day-to-day for almost everybody. It seems pretty natural that they go hand in hand.

Yes, there's no denying that things are changing.

Covid-19 directly related:

a. No more uke club meetings..
b. No more gigs at nursing homes.
c. Folk group disbanded indefinitely.
d. Monthly folk jam cancelled indefinitely..

I know I'm not the only one here...

Last edited:
Would it be possible to keep "Uke Talk" threads about ukulele related stuff and use other Boards like "General Discussion" for other stuff?

I know Covid 19 is on all of our minds these days and I have followed all of those threads. But sometimes I'd like to browse just the uke stuff too.

I couldn't agree more. It's annoying finding the Uke Talk forum jammed with COVID19 stuff, and other junk that doesn't relate directly to ukes and playing ukes. I lost a lot of gigs, but did I post it here? I hope not.
Also, there are video threads too, I don't wanna see videos posted here.
Next thing ya know, people will be posting recipes here. Sheesh.
The creators of UU were smart enough to give us space to keep it neat and clean. Let's do that.

Last edited:
From my experience on an other - non-uke - forum, people gravitate toward the main section. This other forum has grown to around twenty different sections. If you post a topic in the wrong section, Admin gets mad and threatens to ban you from the forum. I look at two section: Main and Chit-Chat.

On UU, I look at Uke Talk and Marketplace. We have a Build section, but there are lots of build questions in the Uke Talk section, which I think is perfect. We could have sections for New Ukes, New Used Ukes, Uke Repair, Uke Restoration, Ukes I'd Like to Buy, Ukes I'm Sorry I Sold - the list is endless. Let's just post and reply and not try to become a herder of cats.

Herding Cats.jpg

From my experience on an other - non-uke - forum, people gravitate toward the main section. This other forum has grown to around twenty different sections. If you post a topic in the wrong section, Admin gets mad and threatens to ban you from the forum. I look at two section: Main and Chit-Chat.

On UU, I look at Uke Talk and Marketplace. We have a Build section, but there are lots of build questions in the Uke Talk section, which I think is perfect. We could have sections for New Ukes, New Used Ukes, Uke Repair, Uke Restoration, Ukes I'd Like to Buy, Ukes I'm Sorry I Sold - the list is endless. Let's just post and reply and not try to become a herder of cats.

View attachment 125997

Well said.

I've thought that for a long time. Uke Talk is just a catch all and everything just seems to go there. In the ideal world everyone would obey obey obey, but alas we are ukulele player and therefore by nature we find it impossible to conform. On a side note, pretty much anything I put in General Discussion doesn't get near the traction that the same thing posted in Uke Talk gets. Just saying, Uke Talk is where everyone is hanging out.

Just keep it as it is. If it is going to be separated, then everyone better find the right sub-forum for his or her post.

That includes technical questions in the Tech sub-forum, Gigs in the Gigs and Shows, NUD reviews in the Ukulele Reviews, etc.

Can anyone imagine not being able to ask about how to play a certain chord, (should go into Tips and Tricks), or what anyone thinks of a certain brand (Buying Tips) in Uke Talk.

Uke Talk is the catch-all that most people go to. And I imagine most people post to Uke Talk because they might not get the same response in the sub-forums.

John

Well, then, that being the majority consensus, apparently, here's my new post from the General forum:

Petey Mack, a request

Saturday morning (21st) Petey Mack has requested that we all stand in our doorway and play Here comes the Sun, then Let It Be. This occurs at 900 AM.
If enough of us do this, maybe George and John will hear us!

By the by, if you click on the What's New button, everything you haven't opened shows up!

I couldn't agree more. It's annoying finding the Uke Talk forum jammed with COVID19 stuff, and other junk that doesn't relate directly to ukes and playing ukes. I lost a lot of gigs, but did I post it here? I hope not.
Also, there are video threads too, I don't wanna see videos posted here.
Next thing ya know, people will be posting recipes here. Sheesh.
The creators of UU were smart enough to give us space to keep it neat and clean. Let's do that.

totally agree Nickie

Well, then, that being the majority consensus, apparently, here's my new post from the General forum:

Petey Mack, a request

Saturday morning (21st) Petey Mack has requested that we all stand in our doorway and play Here comes the Sun, then Let It Be. This occurs at 900 AM.
If enough of us do this, maybe George and John will hear us!

By the by, if you click on the What's New button, everything you haven't opened shows up!

What time zone?
I there a reason for playing those 2 songs? 2 of my favorites, so good choices, IMO, whatever the reason. :)

Another reason I'd post here about the virus is that here is where my friends are.

The Uke Talk section is a lot like a coffee shop. People don’t go there just for the coffee. They go because they want to feel connected to other human beans (pun intended). Coffee shops (much like classic diners) have become public living rooms for people who don’t want to be alone or who want to strike up a conversation with someone to see what they might share in common. The Uke Talk section has the same vibe.

Jan

Top Bottom