Thread: Kamaka strings

Default Kamaka strings

Are the black strings that come on a Kamaka Fremonts?

I don't believe so.

At least as far as I know, Kamaka still ships with black nylon strings. I believe that Fremont strings are black fluorocarbon.

As an aside, I never cared for the stock nylon strings that Kamaka uses, and I think that Kamaka instruments positively sing with fluorocarbon, but there are a lot of folks who love the traditional nylon sound.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

A custom version of D'Addario Pro Arté nylon last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    I don't believe so.

At least as far as I know, Kamaka still ships with black nylon strings. I believe that Fremont strings are black fluorocarbon.

As an aside, I never cared for the stock nylon strings that Kamaka uses, and I think that Kamaka instruments positively sing with fluorocarbon, but there are a lot of folks who love the traditional nylon sound.
    I'm with you on the Kamaka strings. I began using Fremont Black Line and use them on my three tenors. I did try a set of Ko'olau Golds but didn't like them at all. I took them off after a week and put on the Fremonts.

The Kamaka models are definitely strung with custom strings from D'Addario. And pretty much everyone I know who play a Kamaka swaps those out for something else. Including Jake Shimabukuro (whom I do not personally know, in case I give the wrong impression).
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

My Kamaka strings are in the landfill. Swapped them out immediately for Uke Logic's and Fremont Low G. I don't know anybody who keeps them on either.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by kookoolele View Post
    The Kamaka models are definitely strung with custom strings from D'Addario. And pretty much everyone I know who play a Kamaka swaps those out for something else. Including Jake Shimabukuro (whom I do not personally know, in case I give the wrong impression).
    In public interviews, Jake says he uses D'Addario nylon strings. Just not the exact same tensions as the Kamaka sets.

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    In public interviews, Jake says he uses D'Addario nylon strings. Just not the exact same tensions as the Kamaka sets.
    Kamaka strings are for sale in even the smallest uke store on Hawaii and they are very popular there. One of Jake Shimabukuro's mentees (Kapono Wong) who is a virtuoso himself and whose uke sounds incredible uses d'Addario Platinum, and he calls those the "Jake strings".
    Last edited by merlin666; 03-19-2020 at 07:55 PM.

thanks, everyone! I appreciate your input and have some Fremonts on order.

Thread Information