Kamaka strings

I don't believe so.

At least as far as I know, Kamaka still ships with black nylon strings. I believe that Fremont strings are black fluorocarbon.

As an aside, I never cared for the stock nylon strings that Kamaka uses, and I think that Kamaka instruments positively sing with fluorocarbon, but there are a lot of folks who love the traditional nylon sound.

I don't believe so.

At least as far as I know, Kamaka still ships with black nylon strings. I believe that Fremont strings are black fluorocarbon.

As an aside, I never cared for the stock nylon strings that Kamaka uses, and I think that Kamaka instruments positively sing with fluorocarbon, but there are a lot of folks who love the traditional nylon sound.

I'm with you on the Kamaka strings. I began using Fremont Black Line and use them on my three tenors. I did try a set of Ko'olau Golds but didn't like them at all. I took them off after a week and put on the Fremonts.

The Kamaka models are definitely strung with custom strings from D'Addario. And pretty much everyone I know who play a Kamaka swaps those out for something else. Including Jake Shimabukuro (whom I do not personally know, in case I give the wrong impression).

My Kamaka strings are in the landfill. Swapped them out immediately for Uke Logic's and Fremont Low G. I don't know anybody who keeps them on either.

The Kamaka models are definitely strung with custom strings from D'Addario. And pretty much everyone I know who play a Kamaka swaps those out for something else. Including Jake Shimabukuro (whom I do not personally know, in case I give the wrong impression).

In public interviews, Jake says he uses D'Addario nylon strings. Just not the exact same tensions as the Kamaka sets.

In public interviews, Jake says he uses D'Addario nylon strings. Just not the exact same tensions as the Kamaka sets.
Kamaka strings are for sale in even the smallest uke store on Hawaii and they are very popular there. One of Jake Shimabukuro's mentees (Kapono Wong) who is a virtuoso himself and whose uke sounds incredible uses d'Addario Platinum, and he calls those the "Jake strings".

Last edited:
Top Bottom