Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pardon My Na´vetÚ

Default Pardon My Na´vetÚ

I’ve often wondered about the sensitivity to disclosing prices that seems to accompany high-end instruments.
    The comments in the recent Moore-Bettah thread have finally prompted me to ask.
    Why the “secrecy”?
    I understand anonymity; as not everyone wants the rest of the world to know their business or their possessions. (On the contrary, some freely list their collections.)
    But a blind price?
    Please enlighten me.
    For the record, I don’t give a tinker’s dam(n) about someone or a dealer flipping an instrument for a profit. That’s not mine to judge ... not to mention that some make their living doing just that everyday.
    My interest is in PRICE disclosure “secrecy.”
    This may belong in different forum, but I put it here for easy reference to the Moore-Bettah thread that is here.
    Last edited by danersen; 03-19-2020 at 11:54 AM.

For the specific thread you mention in your post, the seller indicated they sold at cost. The same instrument is now available through a reputable third party seller for what is more than what the likely marketplace purchase price was. Pretty sure some conclusions can be drawn upon that.
    In any event, thread prices don't always translate into actual final sale numbers so they shouldn't really be relied upon as being completely accurate. That said, my own personal curiosity always has me wishing to see the number. Since there is no item listed for sale here, I'm not sure if mods might be inclined to move this thread to a different part of the forum.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

Often sellers have a "Call for Price" on the listing. That is fine and makes you jump through a hoop to show you might have a serious interest.

The MBettah listing publicized the price until it was sold. This must have been for a few hours at most. In this case, it was a publicly listed price so there were a number of inquiries as to what that was since timing on seeing it was more the issue than the price being kept secret. I did not post, but I was curious about the price to know if other MB ukes were possible for me in the future.

IIRC, I think that particular uke was sold in under an hour, and the price was gone not long after that.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

FWIWI too agree re: keeping the price available after sale. I think the price should remain. One can expect the price negotiated may be less. However, I see having the price remain as information for the community. Just my opinion FWIW.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

I recall previous discussions in this forum about why people remove the price from their for sale post after the 'ukulele is sold and how people feel about it. I suck at searching the forum so I was unable to find any of these discussions for the purpose of posting links to them here, but this topic has engendered debate for at least as long as I've been here.

In the case of the recently posted Moore Bettah, it's my understanding that the seller didn't want to profit from the sale (and as a Moore Bettah owner, I completely understand this view), so the asking price is probably not indicative of its current market value. A better measure would be to inquire with its current owner (ukulelefriend.com) what the current sale price is and to monitor how long the 'ukulele is on that site before it's sold.
    Last edited by mds725; 03-19-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    I recall previous discussions in this forum about why people remove the price from their for sale post after the 'ukulele is sold and how people feel about it. I suck at searching the forum so I was unable to find any of these discussions for the purpose of posting links to them here, but this topic has engendered debate for at least as long as I've been here.

In the case of the recently posted Moore Bettah, it's my understanding that the seller didn't want to profit from the sale (and as a Moore Bettah owner, I completely understand this view), so the asking price is probably not indicative of its current market value. A better measure would be to inquire with its current owner (ukulelefriend.com) what the current sale price is and to monitor how long the 'ukulele is on that site before it's sold.
    Yeah, I see it for sale over there: http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/moore-bettah-ukulele-40/
    John

Honestly, most forums I’m familiar with that offer classified sections impose much stricter rules than are imposed here. Some go way overboard, in my opinion - but I’d very much welcome a rule that restricted changes to listings post-sale. I’ve bought ukes here that the seller removed the pics and description before I even got the uke.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymicĺs Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Inquisitive questions aside....as long as the seller and buyer are happy...!

Thanks for the comments and recollections offered; however, I’m curious about something more definitive, i.e., motivation — so please allow me to clarify.

What are the risks, benefits, and purposes for removing or leaving price-related info?

Last edited by danersen; 03-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Thread Information