Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Pardon My Naïveté

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    263

    Default

    My recollection of MB pricing in 2015 would place this one at a low of $4.500 to a high of $5,500 with all its options.

    That's why the price is removed so seller can ask.....? Fill in the blank.

    Regardless the new buyer will be happy.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    4,941

    Default

    I believe in honesty is the best policy, so I always list the price and even show the actual sale price after. I do the same when I review a uke or post a NUD, always show the price.


    This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

    • Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    In this particular case, the buyer requested that the price be removed from the listing after the transaction was completed. I have no problem with the seller doing so, as asked.

    I can see two rationales here:
    1. The seller not wanting people to keep telling her how much more she could have sold it for. Why did she let it go for so much less than the market value? Etc. She's happy with what she sold it for, end of story.
    2. The buyer not wanting people to compare his asking price with what he paid for it. There are lots of costs involved: shipping, PayPal fees, insurance, packing. (I'm sure the buyer paid some, if not all of those). Listing, having a demo video made, keeping it in inventory until sold. And all of the other CODB. That adds into the equation and all before the buyer makes a dime. Yet the only thing the prospective buyer will remember is the original listing price.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

    —Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Having just caught a mild case of UAS in the last year or so, I'm still learning how to buy from an individual seller. Having a post-sale price is a help for me since I have no idea if it's proper to ask the asker for a lower price. I'm not good at bargaining but I also don't like to give money away. Folks on this forum are friendly and I buy only for the pleasure of having and playing a new ukulele. I prefer to not look at this as a game to win or lose or in the way Michael Corleone put it: "It’s not personal, it’s just business."

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Having just caught a mild case of UAS in the last year or so, I'm still learning how to buy from an individual seller. Having a post-sale price is a help for me since I have no idea if it's proper to ask the asker for a lower price. I'm not good at bargaining but I also don't like to give money away. Folks on this forum are friendly and I buy only for the pleasure of having and playing a new ukulele. I prefer to not look at this as a game to win or lose or in the way Michael Corleone put it: "It’s not personal, it’s just business."
    Agreed. Especially now. I see leaving the prices on as a public service. But that's just my opinion :-)
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    461

    Default

    It could be a scam. Seller isn't following the rules. You are right to be wary of ads like this. Anyone can find a description and some pics from a website. Not a senior member.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbeetsme View Post
    It could be a scam. Seller isn't following the rules. You are right to be wary of ads like this. Anyone can find a description and some pics from a website. Not a senior member.
    There was a MB uke for sale a few days ago. Seller is a "Super Moderator" and sale was completed quickly and the price removed at that time. That is the genesis of this thread.

    This is not to be confused with the MB listing today by another seller that does not list a price but solicits offers.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Ed1.. wait till you buy 100s of ukuleles and then we will see how fun losing is. It’s not a scam to make money it’s simply business to avoid buyers who are not serious. I don’t really care what anyone paid because if I think it is a good deal I will buy it. Most serious buyers shouldn’t care as it has no bearing on what an instrument is worth. I give great deals on most everything I sell. Many times breaking even or loosing but should I be obligated to sell an old Martin for less than market value simply because I bought it for $50? If people know what you paid there is a huge chance they will automatically assume you should sell it for less. People forget about the time it takes to find a good deal. I have spent 100s of hours looking for deals. I sometimes pull the price after I sell something too and will do so anytime someone requests it. It gives the buyer the chance to make some money back on it if they choose to sell it again for closer to market value. It’s not a game to charge ppl more. It simply being generous to the buyer. You don’t sell a house that you bought 30 years ago for what you paid nor should you even have to consider telling people what you paid. If someone wants to know closer to market value then spend years looking every single day or look at eBay sold listings. In many cases you can also just ask someone that has put in the work. I don’t think ppl are out to screw people over around here in the slightest.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jddewitt81 View Post
    Ed1.. wait till you buy 100s of ukuleles and then we will see how fun losing is. It’s not a scam to make money it’s simply business to avoid buyers who are not serious. I don’t really care what anyone paid because if I think it is a good deal I will buy it. Most serious buyers shouldn’t care as it has no bearing on what an instrument is worth. I give great deals on most everything I sell. Many times breaking even or loosing but should I be obligated to sell an old Martin for less than market value simply because I bought it for $50? If people know what you paid there is a huge chance they will automatically assume you should sell it for less. People forget about the time it takes to find a good deal. I have spent 100s of hours looking for deals. I sometimes pull the price after I sell something too and will do so anytime someone requests it. It gives the buyer the chance to make some money back on it if they choose to sell it again for closer to market value. It’s not a game to charge ppl more. It simply being generous to the buyer. You don’t sell a house that you bought 30 years ago for what you paid nor should you even have to consider telling people what you paid. If someone wants to know closer to market value then spend years looking every single day or look at eBay sold listings. In many cases you can also just ask someone that has put in the work. I don’t think ppl are out to screw people over around here in the slightest.
    Hmm, I really don't understand why all this is aimed at me. I agree that people here are not out to screw people in the slightest. In fact I have only found good folks here who have been most helpful and generous with their time. I can't imagine a much more friendly group then this marketplace. And since I don't know you, I don't understand what you mean by it's not a scam to make money or avoid buyers who are not serious. Regarding this thread, those thoughts never crossed my mind. And for the rest of your post, I agree with you that you should be paid what an instrument is worth, including your time.

    I'll never be a person who has bought or sold 100s of ukuleles. I understand that this is a "Marketplace" , but for me it's just a place for buying a uke I've wanted to try and selling one I've lost interest in playing. You make good points for your not wanting to put the post-sale price. For me, however, putting out the post-sale price helps me to learn just what a ukulele was worth at a given time. If someone can buy it today and sell it for more tomorrow, that's not a problem for me.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Woy Woy, Australia
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    There was a MB uke for sale a few days ago. Seller is a "Super Moderator" and sale was completed quickly and the price removed at that time. That is the genesis of this thread.

    This is not to be confused with the MB listing today by another seller that does not list a price but solicits offers.
    I am the seller of the other MB listing today. I have sold an instrument here before by private negotiation after freely nominating a price and in general I think that’s what should happen. I just want to emphasise that I was upfront that I have not listed a price in this case because, seriously, I can’t say what price to put on it. The recent sale of an MB here would have guided me somewhat if the price had been revealed but it was removed. In any case, these instruments are top-level, they are few in number and there’s little to guide anyone by way of sales records. There’s no subterfuge going on and I hope no-one is suggesting that of me. The market price is what someone is willing to sell for and someone else is willing to pay.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •