Pardon My Naïveté

danersen

Reaction score
I’ve often wondered about the sensitivity to disclosing prices that seems to accompany high-end instruments.
The comments in the recent Moore-Bettah thread have finally prompted me to ask.
Why the “secrecy”?
I understand anonymity; as not everyone wants the rest of the world to know their business or their possessions. (On the contrary, some freely list their collections.)
But a blind price?
Please enlighten me.
For the record, I don’t give a tinker’s dam(n) about someone or a dealer flipping an instrument for a profit. That’s not mine to judge ... not to mention that some make their living doing just that everyday.
My interest is in PRICE disclosure “secrecy.”
This may belong in different forum, but I put it here for easy reference to the Moore-Bettah thread that is here.

Last edited:
For the specific thread you mention in your post, the seller indicated they sold at cost. The same instrument is now available through a reputable third party seller for what is more than what the likely marketplace purchase price was. Pretty sure some conclusions can be drawn upon that.
In any event, thread prices don't always translate into actual final sale numbers so they shouldn't really be relied upon as being completely accurate. That said, my own personal curiosity always has me wishing to see the number. Since there is no item listed for sale here, I'm not sure if mods might be inclined to move this thread to a different part of the forum.

Often sellers have a "Call for Price" on the listing. That is fine and makes you jump through a hoop to show you might have a serious interest.

The MBettah listing publicized the price until it was sold. This must have been for a few hours at most. In this case, it was a publicly listed price so there were a number of inquiries as to what that was since timing on seeing it was more the issue than the price being kept secret. I did not post, but I was curious about the price to know if other MB ukes were possible for me in the future.

IIRC, I think that particular uke was sold in under an hour, and the price was gone not long after that.

FWIWI too agree re: keeping the price available after sale. I think the price should remain. One can expect the price negotiated may be less. However, I see having the price remain as information for the community. Just my opinion FWIW.

I recall previous discussions in this forum about why people remove the price from their for sale post after the 'ukulele is sold and how people feel about it. I suck at searching the forum so I was unable to find any of these discussions for the purpose of posting links to them here, but this topic has engendered debate for at least as long as I've been here.

In the case of the recently posted Moore Bettah, it's my understanding that the seller didn't want to profit from the sale (and as a Moore Bettah owner, I completely understand this view), so the asking price is probably not indicative of its current market value. A better measure would be to inquire with its current owner (ukulelefriend.com) what the current sale price is and to monitor how long the 'ukulele is on that site before it's sold.

Last edited:
I recall previous discussions in this forum about why people remove the price from their for sale post after the 'ukulele is sold and how people feel about it. I suck at searching the forum so I was unable to find any of these discussions for the purpose of posting links to them here, but this topic has engendered debate for at least as long as I've been here.

In the case of the recently posted Moore Bettah, it's my understanding that the seller didn't want to profit from the sale (and as a Moore Bettah owner, I completely understand this view), so the asking price is probably not indicative of its current market value. A better measure would be to inquire with its current owner (ukulelefriend.com) what the current sale price is and to monitor how long the 'ukulele is on that site before it's sold.

Yeah, I see it for sale over there: http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/moore-bettah-ukulele-40/

Honestly, most forums I’m familiar with that offer classified sections impose much stricter rules than are imposed here. Some go way overboard, in my opinion - but I’d very much welcome a rule that restricted changes to listings post-sale. I’ve bought ukes here that the seller removed the pics and description before I even got the uke.

Thanks for the comments and recollections offered; however, I’m curious about something more definitive, i.e., motivation — so please allow me to clarify.

What are the risks, benefits, and purposes for removing or leaving price-related info?

Last edited:
My recollection of MB pricing in 2015 would place this one at a low of $4.500 to a high of $5,500 with all its options.

That's why the price is removed so seller can ask.....? Fill in the blank.

Regardless the new buyer will be happy.

I believe in honesty is the best policy, so I always list the price and even show the actual sale price after. I do the same when I review a uke or post a NUD, always show the price.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In this particular case, the buyer requested that the price be removed from the listing after the transaction was completed. I have no problem with the seller doing so, as asked.

I can see two rationales here:
1. The seller not wanting people to keep telling her how much more she could have sold it for. Why did she let it go for so much less than the market value? Etc. She's happy with what she sold it for, end of story.
2. The buyer not wanting people to compare his asking price with what he paid for it. There are lots of costs involved: shipping, PayPal fees, insurance, packing. (I'm sure the buyer paid some, if not all of those). Listing, having a demo video made, keeping it in inventory until sold. And all of the other CODB. That adds into the equation and all before the buyer makes a dime. Yet the only thing the prospective buyer will remember is the original listing price.

Having just caught a mild case of UAS in the last year or so, I'm still learning how to buy from an individual seller. Having a post-sale price is a help for me since I have no idea if it's proper to ask the asker for a lower price. I'm not good at bargaining but I also don't like to give money away. Folks on this forum are friendly and I buy only for the pleasure of having and playing a new ukulele. I prefer to not look at this as a game to win or lose or in the way Michael Corleone put it: "It’s not personal, it’s just business."

Having just caught a mild case of UAS in the last year or so, I'm still learning how to buy from an individual seller. Having a post-sale price is a help for me since I have no idea if it's proper to ask the asker for a lower price. I'm not good at bargaining but I also don't like to give money away. Folks on this forum are friendly and I buy only for the pleasure of having and playing a new ukulele. I prefer to not look at this as a game to win or lose or in the way Michael Corleone put it: "It’s not personal, it’s just business."

Agreed. Especially now. I see leaving the prices on as a public service. But that's just my opinion :)

It could be a scam. Seller isn't following the rules. You are right to be wary of ads like this. Anyone can find a description and some pics from a website. Not a senior member.

It could be a scam. Seller isn't following the rules. You are right to be wary of ads like this. Anyone can find a description and some pics from a website. Not a senior member.

There was a MB uke for sale a few days ago. Seller is a "Super Moderator" and sale was completed quickly and the price removed at that time. That is the genesis of this thread.

This is not to be confused with the MB listing today by another seller that does not list a price but solicits offers.

Ed1.. wait till you buy 100s of ukuleles and then we will see how fun losing is. It’s not a scam to make money it’s simply business to avoid buyers who are not serious. I don’t really care what anyone paid because if I think it is a good deal I will buy it. Most serious buyers shouldn’t care as it has no bearing on what an instrument is worth. I give great deals on most everything I sell. Many times breaking even or loosing but should I be obligated to sell an old Martin for less than market value simply because I bought it for $50? If people know what you paid there is a huge chance they will automatically assume you should sell it for less. People forget about the time it takes to find a good deal. I have spent 100s of hours looking for deals. I sometimes pull the price after I sell something too and will do so anytime someone requests it. It gives the buyer the chance to make some money back on it if they choose to sell it again for closer to market value. It’s not a game to charge ppl more. It simply being generous to the buyer. You don’t sell a house that you bought 30 years ago for what you paid nor should you even have to consider telling people what you paid. If someone wants to know closer to market value then spend years looking every single day or look at eBay sold listings. In many cases you can also just ask someone that has put in the work. I don’t think ppl are out to screw people over around here in the slightest.

Ed1.. wait till you buy 100s of ukuleles and then we will see how fun losing is. It’s not a scam to make money it’s simply business to avoid buyers who are not serious. I don’t really care what anyone paid because if I think it is a good deal I will buy it. Most serious buyers shouldn’t care as it has no bearing on what an instrument is worth. I give great deals on most everything I sell. Many times breaking even or loosing but should I be obligated to sell an old Martin for less than market value simply because I bought it for $50? If people know what you paid there is a huge chance they will automatically assume you should sell it for less. People forget about the time it takes to find a good deal. I have spent 100s of hours looking for deals. I sometimes pull the price after I sell something too and will do so anytime someone requests it. It gives the buyer the chance to make some money back on it if they choose to sell it again for closer to market value. It’s not a game to charge ppl more. It simply being generous to the buyer. You don’t sell a house that you bought 30 years ago for what you paid nor should you even have to consider telling people what you paid. If someone wants to know closer to market value then spend years looking every single day or look at eBay sold listings. In many cases you can also just ask someone that has put in the work. I don’t think ppl are out to screw people over around here in the slightest.

Hmm, I really don't understand why all this is aimed at me. I agree that people here are not out to screw people in the slightest. In fact I have only found good folks here who have been most helpful and generous with their time. I can't imagine a much more friendly group then this marketplace. And since I don't know you, I don't understand what you mean by it's not a scam to make money or avoid buyers who are not serious. Regarding this thread, those thoughts never crossed my mind. And for the rest of your post, I agree with you that you should be paid what an instrument is worth, including your time.

I'll never be a person who has bought or sold 100s of ukuleles. I understand that this is a "Marketplace" , but for me it's just a place for buying a uke I've wanted to try and selling one I've lost interest in playing. You make good points for your not wanting to put the post-sale price. For me, however, putting out the post-sale price helps me to learn just what a ukulele was worth at a given time. If someone can buy it today and sell it for more tomorrow, that's not a problem for me.

There was a MB uke for sale a few days ago. Seller is a "Super Moderator" and sale was completed quickly and the price removed at that time. That is the genesis of this thread.

This is not to be confused with the MB listing today by another seller that does not list a price but solicits offers.

I am the seller of the other MB listing today. I have sold an instrument here before by private negotiation after freely nominating a price and in general I think that’s what should happen. I just want to emphasise that I was upfront that I have not listed a price in this case because, seriously, I can’t say what price to put on it. The recent sale of an MB here would have guided me somewhat if the price had been revealed but it was removed. In any case, these instruments are top-level, they are few in number and there’s little to guide anyone by way of sales records. There’s no subterfuge going on and I hope no-one is suggesting that of me. The market price is what someone is willing to sell for and someone else is willing to pay.

Top Bottom