What are you doing to keep busy at home?

I enjoyed reading this so much! It's good to know that life goes on in Spain. And I'm thrilled to hear there will be a little one arriving in your family. My son just became engaged and is planning a Spring 2021 wedding. Having something so happy & hopeful to look forward to is what we need at this time. Good luck!

+1. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting it.
And, to all, please stay safe.

Thank you. It would be great if people felt encouraged to write about the ordinary stuff of life.
I´m not at all ¨Religious¨ but I do think that in music, ¨God¨ lives between the notes.
And in life, perhaps something similar applies.

PS: My son got a huge party popper from the hospital. He popped it on Skype and a storm of pink petals filled a living room in Lancashire.

Last edited:
I've not gotten around to doing "driveway" concerts like I'd hoped. I was thinking of using my Roland amp, and adding a mic, but haven't done it. Seems like it was too cold and now too hot to sit out in the driveway to play.

Online ukulele jams have been my lifesaver. Thanks to Jerry, I'm now a long distance member of the Catskills Ukulele group on Wednesday for open mic & the Saturday jam. I also drop in on the Thursday jam with the Normanskill/Catskill group on occasion. Now I've discovered Tiki Dave's Ukuleleville Play Along Party on Fridays from Hilo, Hawaii. My local group has started monthly Zoom jams also. It's great to see my local ukulele family. I did do a front yard, socially distanced outdoor jam with a local group once that was great.

For non-ukulele stuff ......I volunteer to deliver food boxes for the Utah Food Bank. I volunteer for the Red Cross at the local blood center to do donor check-in and temp screening. My church meets via Zoom on Sundays & I've been playing music for services. We also meet in person on Sunday evenings outside in small groups (masks & 6 feet apart) to chat & plan service activities. We make sandwiches for the homeless shelter each month. Daily dog walking. Swimming at my local rec center 1-2 times a week (limited lap lanes by reservation). Camping & kayak trips. And then there's always cleaning & yard work to be done. Tending to the veggie garden & fruit tress.

What am I doing with my time? Texting parents to get their kids to online lessons, trying to keep 4th graders engaged, planning tons of virtual lessons, telling kids to put their pants on so we don't see underwear, waking kids up, thousands of Zoom meetings. I am a teacher, by the way . . .

But this thread has renewed my interest in learning to play the ukulele fingerstyle - which I haven't done. In fact, I haven't touched my ukuleles in at least a couple of years . . .

What am I doing with my time? Texting parents to get their kids to online lessons, trying to keep 4th graders engaged, planning tons of virtual lessons, telling kids to put their pants on so we don't see underwear, waking kids up, thousands of Zoom meetings. I am a teacher, by the way . . .

But this thread has renewed my interest in learning to play the ukulele fingerstyle - which I haven't done. In fact, I haven't touched my ukuleles in at least a couple of years . . .

Those Zoom meetings/classes can be a challenge - especially when someone forgot to put on their pants. :)

Things have shaken out differently for me than I expected since I started this thread. The job that seemed to be on hold revived itself online, so I had the learning curve of some of the technology as well as how to try to do the job online, (which is a very hands on job, so I'm glad they attempted to keep us employed, anyway.) The 2nd job that I thought would survive is gone, though.

Back in person now instead of online for the remaining job, which is easier in a lot of ways, though not safer. COVID rates are climbing again here, I assume post-holiday. Hope we don't have to shut down again. 2nd week back in person, I was exposed to COVID, but fortunately, all my PPE layers did a good job of keeping me safe. But it was very unnerving.

After the initial shock of it all, adjusting to all the changes, endless webinars and Zoom meetings as we tried to figure out how to proceed, (or that we couldn't proceed in the case of the job that didn't survive), I'm back to having more time for ukulele. I can't say that I have done much other than just play to keep myself happy as possible for the last several months, (which is still a good goal), but am resuming trying to learn new things now, and working on improving technique for the "old" things. So, not as much accomplished as I had hoped when things first shut down, but these are unique times for sure.

Attending an on-line concert tonight, (David Bromberg's 75th birthday event), which will be interesting. Not sure what I think about an on-line concert, but it's Bromberg, so I bought a ticket and hope to enjoy it. The times have changed, and this is one way to support musicians.

Off to play ukulele now. :)

Those Zoom meetings/classes can be a challenge - especially when someone forgot to put on their pants. :)

Things have shaken out differently for me than I expected since I started this thread. The job that seemed to be on hold revived itself online, so I had the learning curve of some of the technology as well as how to try to do the job online, (which is a very hands on job, so I'm glad they attempted to keep us employed, anyway.) The 2nd job that I thought would survive is gone, though.

Back in person now instead of online for the remaining job, which is easier in a lot of ways, though not safer. COVID rates are climbing again here, I assume post-holiday. Hope we don't have to shut down again. 2nd week back in person, I was exposed to COVID, but fortunately, all my PPE layers did a good job of keeping me safe. But it was very unnerving.

After the initial shock of it all, adjusting to all the changes, endless webinars and Zoom meetings as we tried to figure out how to proceed, (or that we couldn't proceed in the case of the job that didn't survive), I'm back to having more time for ukulele. I can't say that I have done much other than just play to keep myself happy as possible for the last several months, (which is still a good goal), but am resuming trying to learn new things now, and working on improving technique for the "old" things. So, not as much accomplished as I had hoped when things first shut down, but these are unique times for sure.

Attending an on-line concert tonight, (David Bromberg's 75th birthday event), which will be interesting. Not sure what I think about an on-line concert, but it's Bromberg, so I bought a ticket and hope to enjoy it. The times have changed, and this is one way to support musicians.

Off to play ukulele now. :)

I broke a tooth and had no choice but to go to the dentist. A week later I got a call that someone who had been in close contact with me had tested positive. UGH! I felt like a leper! I did not develop anything luckily . . .

Going to go dig my ukulele out . . .

I'm in the middle of a renovation/extension and will be looking to have a microcement floor by https://www.festfloor.eu/ in the kitchen diner/ living area - approx 30sqm with possibly a small hall area too. The ground floor is getting completely removed and replaced so will have new screed over underfloor heating.

If anyone is experienced with microcement and is interested it would be great to hear from you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom