Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to keep busy at home?

Default What are you doing to keep busy at home?

I arrived at work this morning to discover that they forgot to tell me not to come in today...or for a while. Not surprising, though, since the virus is in the area. (Also not surprising that they forgot to tell me, but that's a different story. Communication isn't their strong point.)

With more time at home for a while, (still have a part-time job that isn't closed down yet, though), what ukulele related things might you all recommend?

Any good videos? Or other suggestions, other than just getting more practice time in there? (And if you heard me play, you certainly would recommend more practice time. LOL.)

check out Gordon Mark ukulele videos on YouTube for easy listening music.

Gordon is a living treasure in Hawaii and if you don't already know about him
    and his music, be prepared to be soothingly entertained.

and keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    check out Gordon Mark ukulele videos on YouTube for easy listening music.

Gordon is a living treasure in Hawaii and if you don't already know about him
    and his music, be prepared to be soothingly entertained.

and keep uke'in',
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with him, and will check out his videos.

Trying to find ELO play alongs...
    I am now quarantined by the state of Washington, over 60s have been "asked" to shelter in place. Who's gonna get my beer?

My Uke DVD care package just arrived. Should keep me busy.

Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I had an idea a few days ago, but I’m not sure I have the courage to do it. We’ve had a few warmer days lately & many people are out walking in my neighborhood. I thought about setting up a chair in my driveway, plugging in my uke to my amp, and playing/singing. Some fun, popular, uplifting songs. Maybe folks could stop for a few minutes & listen or join in. As long as they stay 6 feet apart. Right now it’s cool & rainy, so I can work on some songs & work up my courage.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I had an idea a few days ago, but I’m not sure I have the courage to do it. We’ve had a few warmer days lately & many people are out walking in my neighborhood. I thought about setting up a chair in my driveway, plugging in my uke to my amp, and playing/singing. Some fun, popular, uplifting songs. Maybe folks could stop for a few minutes & listen or join in. As long as they stay 6 feet apart. Right now it’s cool & rainy, so I can work on some songs & work up my courage.
    I had the same idea. In my case, no amp, and I’d do it on our front porch. But we’ve had such an uptick in pedestrians on our street this week, it just seems like it would be a fun thing to do. If I can get them to sing along with me, all the better. It’s a toss up between that, or some out-of-season caroling - from the sidewalk, of course, so that it would be at a CDC-approved distance. :-)

Like you, I’m working on the courage part...

Jan
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

First things first: Taxes.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Using this down time to polish my skills with the harmonica in combo with with dulcimer/and or/ukulele. Also, have a goal of learning 10 new songs in the next 60 days. Music and memorizing words. Also, practicing through some old songs I used to play, but placed on shelf for several years.
    “Well, today is a good day to make music.”

Keep busy! Not a problem. The DMV thinks my car isn't insured, and they suspended my registration. I got two piece of mail from them yesterday, and I'm getting another one today. I went through this a year ago, and it took months to settle. I just hope they don't send the police to confiscate my license plates.

A deer ran into my son's car last week. He bought it new a year ago when a pickup ran into him and three other cars that were stopped at a construction site. First, it was going to be repaired. Then they found more damage, so it was totaled. I've been dealing with insurance, the bank, the car dealer, and the body shop. I made two trips yesterday to swap out the new snow tires and remove floor mats, seat covers, dash cam, etc., from the wreck. Hopefully, he'll be able to find a new Honda Fit when the check from insurance arrives.

I haven't even started my tax return yet. Then there's the regular housework.

In the meantime, I'm driving my son back and forth to work every day, where he deals with several hundred grouchy customers on a daily basis.

I spent a few minutes with a uke yesterday, and I'm looking forward to ninety minutes of a group online jam tomorrow.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information